Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Electronic Exhaust Cut-off valve

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic Exhaust Cut-off valve

Hey guys, wanted to get your opinions on something.

I started to think about installing an electronic exhaust cut-off, so when I go to track the car, race it, Auto X, do whatever, I can just flip a switch any bypass the entire exhaust system. I know plenty of cars that race have them, and I know back in the day on my dad's dragsters they either didn't have automatic electronic cut offs, or he just didn't put an electronic one on it, but he had a lever on the floor board he pulled that rolled over a pipe, and cut out the entire exhaust system from the headers on back.

I'm just wondering if this is possible to do with the Evo X's. I know the new generation Subarus can do it, as I was watching some YouTube Videos, and one of the "car channels" was called Garage419, and one owner of the garage where they were doing their Episode and were comparing the Evo and Impreza had a cutoff valve installed on his STI. The only thing I don't know is if anything is going to prevent me from doing this on the X. I don't know if there are any must-have sensors further down the exhaust line that when you bypass the exhaust are going to start throwing all sorts of MIL lights, or at worst have the ECU stop the car because it detects something is wrong, and if there are any of those sensors if they can be relocated, etc. Or if anyone has a bypass on their Evo already, or knows someone with one, and can let me know how hard it was to install and if there was anything they had to do special to get one to work.

I still plan on getting my AMS downpipe, test pipe, and then an exhaust system to bolt on after the test pipe to have a better sound while just doing general driving, but having an exhaust cut off would be a nice addition. I know on that episode they did two Dyno runs, one with the bypass on, and one with it off and the car using the stock CBE system, and gained around 15 WHP by using an exhaust bypass, and I was wondering if anyone had some information on doing this for an Evo X.