Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch "harsh"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch "harsh"

I have started researching clutches since I think it will be the next upgrade after E85. Been looking at the Exedy and Competiton twin disk. I'm a little ignorant on the subject since my last manual car was a 54 bug back in 1990. I can research about them my question is what is meant by "harsh" or "pain in traffic"? That's subjective so I'm curious if it's something that would affect me since I have kind of a high tolerance to things. I don't mind the noise. I had a Ducati that made all sorts of clutch noise.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:08 PM

Harshness refers to the engagement of the clutch and pain in traffic is pretty self explanatory. It really depends on you power goals and how you drive the car. If you don't plan to modify the car the just throw a stock clutch disc in and be done with it.

If you plan to modify it heavily go ahead and get a twin disc. I have a Exedy twin disc and at times it can be somewhat frustrating in stop and go traffic. I've had both clutch masters stage 3 & 4 in my past evos( an VIII and a IX) and they drove fine. Pedal feel was close to stock and engagement wasn't harsh at all. Plus they were both considerably less expensive than the Exedy twin.

Last edited by flmr06; Oct 16, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All twin disks tend to chatter a little when disengaged. However with a twin disk you are able to have more clamping force without an overly stiff clutch pedal. I am a big fan of the Exedy.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you. Does "pain in traffic" meen heavy pedal or is it just the clutch is on or off and that makes it more difficult taking off from a start?

I do plan on going higher HP/TQ. Should be close to 400hp/370tq this weekend. But plan to go higher in the future.

A friend with a suby said the twin clutch always feels like its hard on the engine and trans under normal driving.

Anybody out there with the twin clutch live close to Orange County,CA?

Thanks again

Last edited by Uscbryan; Oct 15, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Thank you. Does "pain in traffic" meen heavy pedal or is it just the clutch is on or off and that makes it more difficult taking off from a start?

I do plan on going higher HP/TQ. Should be close to 400hp/370tq this weekend. But plan to go higher in the future.

A friend with a suby said the twin clutch always feels like its hard on the engine and trans under normal driving.

Anybody out there with the twin clutch live close to Orange County,CA?

Thanks again
When I think of pain in traffic I refer more to how heavy/stiff the pedal feels. The Exedy twin definitely is more stiff on the leg than others. It can be difficult taking off from a stop depending on the situation, but I'm sure there are other members that may feel differently.

For the torque you're wanting, I'd say clutch masters FX300/comp stage 3 would be good. It will hold the power you are looking to attain. If there is a member around you that has a twin disc that's willing to let you see how it feels I'd say try it...you may think the feel is different from how people describe it.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Cool thanks. I'll see if I can try one. I do like the clutch chatter. Maybe I'm odd. Lol