Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMIC Questions

So I have been trying to do some research on FMICs and i cant seem to come to any conclusions for my situation. I live in FL and on a hot day, you can definitely feel heat soak sapping power from the car. I just have basic bolt ons- TBE, Intake, EBCS - and dont really plan on doing much beyond that. I am getting a custom tune soon and want to upgrade the FMIC before I do.

So my questions are 1) Do I need to go any bigger than 3.5"? and 2) how much of a difference am I going to see between something like a Depo or AGP vs something higher end like AMS or ETS?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
3.5 inch is plenty.

Big difference is resale value and typically performance.

I always go to the midrange, I have a Perrin which wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The AGP is the best intercooler on the market for the Evo X if you ask me. I installed one on a car last week and I'll be doing another this weekend from the looks of it.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
The AGP is the best intercooler on the market for the Evo X if you ask me. I installed one on a car last week and I'll be doing another this weekend from the looks of it.
Really? That is a surprise given all the good things I have read about AMS and ETS. Are you saying best hands down, or best bang for the buck?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:39 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRak
Really? That is a surprise given all the good things I have read about AMS and ETS. Are you saying best hands down, or best bang for the buck?
Yep. Kracka is right. We installed it on my 14 gsr. Perfect figment and a **** ton of power most likely thanks to it. It has one of the biggest cores in the market. Price is perfect as well. Ams does have a very intercooler as well as other products but frankly all are at least 100 bucks over prices for what they are. I had a 10 MR that I had the ams fmic as well is upper ICP. Was happy with all ams products but at the end of the day, I realized I overpaid too much. I would strongly suggest to get the AGP one. OR if you wanna shell out a grand... Get the Perrin one.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Big quality core, cast end-tanks, perfect fitment, reasonable weight...it's the one I recommend to people looking to upgrade whether they are on the stock turbo or are running something larger turbo. One other feature I like is the 3" outlet, which if you get a 3" (or 2.75") LICP, really helps you take advantage of a ported throttle body.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

very interesting info. Thanks guys! I will look into AGP. Any recommendations on where to buy for a good deal?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

very interesting info. Thanks guys! I will look into AGP. Any recommendations on where to buy for a good deal?
I'd suggest MAP since that's where I've gotten these two from, but direct from AGP works and I'm sure plenty of other vendors also have accounts with them.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a good comparison chart: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ing-chart.html

Here are a few pictures I snapped last week:

Last edited by Kracka; Oct 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Looks awesome! So do I need to tune immediate after installing or can I run this without a tune? I am currently running a Cobb OTS map
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

You should be fine, just be sure and log your boost after install. You will eventually want a tune to fully maximize the benefit though.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 02:10 PM

I put an AGP FMIC in my 14 GSR.

as said in above posts, fitment was perfect.

At the time of installation, the car had the following

Megan DP
Depo HFC
CNT Dual N1 cat back
Green Filter high flow panel filter
Stock tune

The above mods added power when I installed them, but nothing to brag about, imo

now, the first test drive after installing the intercooler, I was amazed. Smoother powerband, more power all around, and better consistency. Plus is looks way better than stock

I let my cousin drive the car and he was blown away by the power gains compared to when he drove it stock.

Since then I have installed the following additional items

Perrin turbo inlet
Depo UICP
Depo UICP Elbow
Cobb 3 Port EBCS
Cobb AP
Stage 3 map

Car is 2 months and 5 days old

I plan to do some road tuning in the next few weeks then wrap up the tune on a dyno shortly after.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up buying a slightly used AGP today. Thanks guys!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antyoo
Since then I have installed the following additional items

Perrin turbo inlet
Depo UICP
Depo UICP Elbow
Cobb 3 Port EBCS
Cobb AP
Stage 3 map
Sounds like you could also benefit from the Depo LICP to complete your intake setup! The Depo LICP is a great fit with the AGP since it's 3" in diameter and the AGP outlet is also 3".
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:40 AM
T6
Evolving Member

I ended up buying a slightly used AGP today. Thanks guys!
Awesome! You wont be disappointed!

My build

My dyno

Depo LICP fits PERFECT with the AGP FMIC. Literally just like OEM. At first Kracka and I installed the LICP on stock FMIC and it was an "okay" fitment. We weren't able to make use of the stock LICP bracket but when we switch to AGP FMIC, everything was OEM, we really were shocked. the UICP as well as the LICP being literally OEM fitment, now that is awesome.

Quick Reply: FMIC Questions