Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just Got an X --- Mod Suggestions for a Smoother 5 speed Manual Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Got an X --- Mod Suggestions for a Smoother 5 speed Manual Gearbox?

Hi everyone,

I haven't had an EVO in years (built an '05 back in 2009 to 500awhp).

I just purchased a '12 EVO X GSR SSS yesterday and drove 2 different GSR's before I purchased this one. I noticed both of them had a "notchy" feel to them that was not present in my previous evo, BMW 135, and Subaru WRX that I have owned.

I drove it again today and it seems like the 5 speed wants to even occasionally grind if I do not put the clutch to the floor.

The car is stage 2 right now and I'm pretty sure it is the stock 5 speed shifter.

What modifications can I do to the shifter to alleviate this issue? It has the stock leather shift knob as well. The other one had the Aluminum knob and it did not feel as notchy.

My other evo had shifter bushing, short shifter, upgraded heavier knob, and different transmission fluid. I am not trying to modify this car much more, but this issue is annoying.

I searched and just came up with a thread where there was a poll asking how many have the notchy feeling on their X's.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

I was searching on google and found this: "Krackas Ultimate Shifter Package"

http://www.maperformance.com/krackas...shi-evo-x.html

Can anyone who has this package chime in and provide feedback? Is it necessary to get all of these different components for a stage 2 car?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
I was searching on google and found this: "Krackas Ultimate Shifter Package"

Can anyone who has this package chime in and provide feedback? Is it necessary to get all of these different components for a stage 2 car?
I bought my Evo X about 2 month ago, and Krackas Package is the first and only mod . It improved the shifting alot better. I would do this again when my 9 MR gets 5 speed conversion.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LanEvo9MR
I bought my Evo X about 2 month ago, and Krackas Package is the first and only mod . It improved the shifting alot better. I would do this again when my 9 MR gets 5 speed conversion.
So you had the same notchy feel in every gear as well? It is horrible compared to my other cars. How difficult was the install of the bushings underneath the hood? I remember in my other EVO VIII, I had to cut out the shifter linkage bushings to get the others to fit. It was just a pain to do the install.

I'm thinking about starting out with the Works Grab Shift Knob, Works Short Shifter, under hood shifter bushings, and shifter in car bushings from works as well.

Thoughts?

thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PM'd!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:08 PM

I think I have the same problem with my 2009 50km
Its difficult to put in from N to 1st and from 1st to 2nd.

The rest is fine.

I read theres a recall for all evo X in Novembre 2013 for the master clutch cylinder...
Related?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 01:40 PM

Redline Cocktail
remove clutch restriction valve
TWM solid bushings.
time.

works wonders for me
Old Nov 1, 2013, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
PM'd!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Will PM back after I research my options. thanks!

Originally Posted by FatTony001
I think I have the same problem with my 2009 50km
Its difficult to put in from N to 1st and from 1st to 2nd.

The rest is fine.

I read theres a recall for all evo X in Novembre 2013 for the master clutch cylinder...
Related?
From my research, it seems that replacing the stock fluid with Red Line, upgrading bushings, short shifter, underhood bushings, and shifter knob will fix the notchiness quite a bit!

Originally Posted by sharptech
Redline Cocktail
remove clutch restriction valve
TWM solid bushings.
time.

works wonders for me
What does removing the clutch restriction valve do? Is it difficult to do? Do you not have a upgrade shift knob, short shifter, or underhood bushings? Thank you
Old Nov 1, 2013, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All i did was a twm short shifter and the base bushings. I have Zero notchiness and shifts are smooth as butter
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:19 PM

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...5c77616b84523f

Removing the pill gets rid of the restriction in the line. The only thing I warn against is once removed DO NOT clutch drop on launches. It was put there to slip the clutch a little when launching the car by newbs that do not know how to launch a awd. But I noticed a HUGE difference before and after especially WOT shifting. And no I don't have any weighted shift knob. Maybe one day.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

I got mine ordered yesterday:

Old Nov 2, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mlouis
All i did was a twm short shifter and the base bushings. I have Zero notchiness and shifts are smooth as butter
I'm going to most likely go this route and add a shift knob in as well. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by sharptech
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...5c77616b84523f

Removing the pill gets rid of the restriction in the line. The only thing I warn against is once removed DO NOT clutch drop on launches. It was put there to slip the clutch a little when launching the car by newbs that do not know how to launch a awd. But I noticed a HUGE difference before and after especially WOT shifting. And no I don't have any weighted shift knob. Maybe one day.
I'm definitely going to have to look into this. I do not race or launch the car so that shouldn't be an issue for me. I just like a fun performing machine to daily drive. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I'm sure you are going to loveeee that setup!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 07:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I only ran the Mitsubishi Diaqueen, AMS underhood shifter bushings, AMS selector gate and weighted Ralliart shift knob. I didn't notch like others were suggesting.

I have noticed some guys complaining at notchiness were shifting at odd times. Like the 3700 rpm mark. Try shifting low rpms (<3200) and high rpms (>4200) and see how it goes. I'm willing to bet you won't notch out.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I only ran the Mitsubishi Diaqueen, AMS underhood shifter bushings, AMS selector gate and weighted Ralliart shift knob. I didn't notch like others were suggesting.

I have noticed some guys complaining at notchiness were shifting at odd times. Like the 3700 rpm mark. Try shifting low rpms (<3200) and high rpms (>4200) and see how it goes. I'm willing to bet you won't notch out.
Thats funny because I actually found 3800 to almost be the sweet spot on my Evo. When I switch at that rpm it doesnt notch as much as when I switch at a lower rpm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 08:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Well either way, there is a sweet spot, just gotta find it.

Quick Reply: Just Got an X --- Mod Suggestions for a Smoother 5 speed Manual Gearbox?