Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please Look At My Pics of New X -- Trying to Determine What Brand of Modifications

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Look At My Pics of New X -- Trying to Determine What Brand of Modifications

Hi everyone,

I just got this new X (Had a 500awhp EVO VIII previously). It only has 9000 miles on it and has some modifications..

The compression was excellent on the motor so I bit the bullet. I would usually prefer the car stock, but this was an SSS package car and harder to find with the 5 speed that I wanted.

I'm trying to see if the previous owner modded it with reputable parts. From what I can tell, it seems like a mix of good parts and chinese parts. I need to see what I should replace. My other car was all Buschur, Spark Tech, Greddy Titanium, etc..

The car is also flashed, according to the Mitsubishi dealer I bought it from so I couldn't get a warranty because of this. I just need some insight as to what I should look for.

The SSQV says "HKS" on it, but I do not think that it is legit. It might be a chinese copy from what I can tell.

The other parts look pretty good.. The FMIC is a Mishimoto.. Is this a good intercooler? The catch can is AGP. I'm not sure what kind of pipes and intake. Any ideas?

The previous owner most likely had a shop do the work because there is no missing push pins, grommets, all of the heat shields are in tact, etc etc. It looks very professional and the car wasn't "beat" according to the compression numbers.

Also, what would I need to go back to stock as far as the BOV setup? Either that or get a legit SSQV since the intercooler pipe is flanged for it.

I could not find a name on the exhaust. It might be an Ebay one. Everything was put on right minus T-Bolt clamps (worm clamps were used :/). I know a lot about the Evo 8's and 9's, but do not know about this new platform so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here are the pictures:
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

*Also, regardless if the SSQV is real or not.. I would like someone to chime in on how to put a stock bov back on the car.. I'm just not in the whole "rice" thing, unless I was making a lot more power and actually needed it (I had a Tial Q on my BMW 135i and other EVO).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

From a lot of research, it seems like my UICP, LICP, and Intake are all AGP. Is this a good brand? How about Mishimoto FMIC? I am looking into getting the replacement hot side portion so I can go back to stock X bov.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Ill trade you my stock BOV setup for that one! I am actually looking for an HKS and yours looks to be setup to recirc =) That is probably the HKS black edition. As far as AGP, they are a reputable company that makes great products!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

the BOV is legit. like the poster above me it is the black edition. (limited run of them).
not sure on the exhaust.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:54 PM

The agp stuff is really nice. I currently run ets but I like the bov placement on the agp better. The exhaust looks like the J2 engineering exhaust

Last edited by sharptech; Oct 31, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

A pipe is a pipe as far as the exhaust and intercooler piping goes. Since it's on the car it obviously fits, and if you are ok with how the exhaust sounds then there's no need to replace unless you have a brand name obsession (which I hope you don't since you say you aren't into rice). As far as the intercooler, people have had ok success with them, it's not worse than the stock one (which isn't bad). If you have heatsoak issues replace it with a better one. If you don't, it's fine. Logging intake temperature is easy enough.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zanelefko
Ill trade you my stock BOV setup for that one! I am actually looking for an HKS and yours looks to be setup to recirc =) That is probably the HKS black edition. As far as AGP, they are a reputable company that makes great products!
How are you sure it is legit? It doesn't seem like the previous owner cut any corners on this car. I found out all of the pipes are AGP, Mishimoto is the FMIC, and the turbo-back exhaust is Turbo XS (it has blue tips that I finally cleaned and did extensive research).

Here is a picture of the Black-Limited Edition Real HKS and it looks just like mine:

I would be interested in a stock BOV setup. It seems like I would have to get a stock bov, stock bov hose, and an AGP hot pipe with a stock bov flange welded on it to replace my upper pipe. Do you have an upper pipe like mine that would work with the stock bov? If so, I would trade you any parts since I want the stock BOV.

PM Me if you want to figure a trade out.

Originally Posted by zenki-s13
the BOV is legit. like the poster above me it is the black edition. (limited run of them).
not sure on the exhaust.
I really think it is legit since every other part is a name brand, quality part. Thanks

Originally Posted by sharptech
The agp stuff is really nice. I currently run ets but I like the bov placement on the agp better. The exhaust looks like the J2 engineering exhaust
I have never used AGP before, but have always heard good things in the past from people who have SRT4s (I do not like those cars btw). I did a lot of research and finally found out it is a Turbo XS turbo back exhaust.

Originally Posted by mirkendargen
A pipe is a pipe as far as the exhaust and intercooler piping goes. Since it's on the car it obviously fits, and if you are ok with how the exhaust sounds then there's no need to replace unless you have a brand name obsession (which I hope you don't since you say you aren't into rice). As far as the intercooler, people have had ok success with them, it's not worse than the stock one (which isn't bad). If you have heatsoak issues replace it with a better one. If you don't, it's fine. Logging intake temperature is easy enough.
Thanks for your insight. I used to be a name brand *****, but I just prefer quality and I'm glad that this previous owner did this car right. I just did not want any chinese/knock off parts on my car and haven't found one yet.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
PM Me if you want to figure a trade out.
This is a tech thread, not a Marketplace thread, so moving to PMs is exactly correct. Thanks.