Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

08 GSR track performance issue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GSR track performance issue

I have been having this weird issue on my GSR specially during my track days.
My car: 08 GSR, Stock except Cobb air filter, straight intercooler piping, ACT HDSS clutch, ACT flywheel. 65000 miles, aggressive driver(driven well, not abused).

This is my 2nd track day. First one had no issues.

Summer 13, hot track day(grattan speedway in michigan) like 80F weather. I ran like 5-6 laps, 7th lap i am doing 115+ on the straightway when my car loses power. Its like a chocking sensation. More throttle does nothing, i loose speed. I can only do 118-120 on straightway, so it didnt affect me too much. It happened in the next lap too but at a slightly lower speed, like 113. As laps went by the cutting power thingie started happening at lower speeds(like 105).
Got the car back into the pits, inspected it and nothing was unusual. Engine temp is fine. No leaking fluids.

In the next run(after a 45min break), first 5 laps were normal but then 5th lap same issue happened @110. I lose power, engine chokes. But this time i let go off the throttle and gently increase it again. Successful! Vehicle crossed the initial threshold, i could take it to 115. But then again as laps went by the choking kept happening at lower speeds(all the way upto 80-85mph). Gently working the throttle worked.

Points to note:
I tried this in diff gear(4,5). Same result.

Some of the things i suspect
1. I don't have an oil catch can. Noticed some residue during my clutch install.
2. Stock intercooler unable to handle the thermal load of a hot track day?

I spoke to the dealership, many owners and they didnt seem to have a good answer. Guys, please help. I wanna resolve this before 2014 summer.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Is your car tuned? Get a tactrix cable and do some logging on the track. You can set up standalone logging so you dont have wires anywhere. Check out goldenevo.com
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:06 AM

No tune

Since the car just had an air filter and a straight intercooler pipe, i didnt tune it. I wanted to get the access port, exhaust and then tune it.
You think that might be an issue?

Will try it this time before i hit the track day
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Check all the vacuum lines?
Intake hose clamps?
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
Or possible fuel delivery issue. Do some searching. I hear the older Evo's have some lil gremlins that are easily fixed.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:10 AM

fuel pump relay?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djl601
fuel pump relay?
This was my first thought too. OP you should check the fuel pump relay and while you're at it the injector, ignition, and starter relays as well. It'll only take you a couple of minutes to rule that out if you do the "salt shaker" test. The issue you're having sounds like its fuel related, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in on that. Do you have a wideband hooked up? That will give you some more insight, and make sure you aren't running lean enough to cause bigger problems.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 06:13 PM

Things to check summer

Ok, thanks for the input guys. So here is my plan.
1. Check vacuum line.
2. Will check the relays
3. Get a OCC(not related to this issue, but been pending for a while)
I dont have a wideband hook up .

I don't have a closed garage, and its crazy cold outside. I need to wait till early summer to work on my car. Will keep you guys posted on these checks. In the meantime if anyone find anything, let me know.

In the middle of all this, my ACD pump failed. Extreme sadness. Mitsu made a crazy *** track car with expensive parts to replace.