Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch pedal engagement

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal engagement

I had my CMC replaced with a Magnus conversion kit utilizing an OEM Evo IX unit a year and a half ago and I am dissatisfied with the way it feels. I am looking to fix this but I would like some real world feedback from my fellow forum members who have actually been driving on upgraded CMC's if possible. I read so many review where people were happy with their conversions, but when meeting EVO X owners at track events with their conversions it seems the consensus is less than happy. Maybe the relief of not getting abandoned due to a CMC failure has subsided, the truth is the feel is much worse than stock?

If you can chime in like the example below it would help me immensely on a plan of attack fro a fix.

CMC Type: Magnus with OEM IX CMC
Pedal Height from Stock: 40% Higher
Pedal Resolution: Engages 1/4" from the top with a range of 1 1/2"
Satisfaction: 80% worse than stock.

The two issues I would like to tackle are...

1) PEDAL HEIGHT - The engagement point on my car now is incredibly high even though the adjustment has been lowered as far as it can go. Researching the forums It seems the Magnus unit is claimed to be 40% higher than stock and the AMS unit 20% higher than stock. Since they both use an Evo IX unit is it the ball joint attachment length that is responsible for the difference? It can't possibly be the plate adapter design?

2) PEDAL RANGE/ENGAGEMENT - This is what I find most troubling. In an ideal world the stock pedal feel would have an engagement range of 25% of its total stroke just a bit higher than the middle of the stroke.

My car feels more like an on and off switch! Where an inch or two worth of its total travel at the top is full engaged and full disengaged?! Which makes it feel like I only have a 1/4" of a sweet spot to slip the clutch at a red light. I commute in NYC stop and go traffic and this is a PITA.

It would be nice to have more travel resolution for better feel. I think maybe the CMC volume of the IX is not match well for the X pedal stroke? I thought of either changing the CMC for a lower volume CMC from Tilton. Or possibly buying a clutch pedal assembly from EBAY and experimenting with relocating the pivot point of the lever away from the firewall to reduce the leverage?

Right now these issues are making my car unenjoyable as a daily driver. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You seem like you have a lot of knowledge on these clutch issues so I am not sure if I can help, but I have had an ssp cmc and did nit like it at all. The seals leaked and the engagement point was inconsistent. It was never in the same release point if the travel. Very annoying. I then switched it out for a Magnus unit with he IX cmc and the release point is consistent. I can not really say the difference between stock as that was so long ago. And the clutch on the car when I bought it was not stock, just the cmc so.... However, have you read and done the cmc/slave adjustments on jacks transmissions website? And done it yourself? I found it pretty informative to me to know how the system was working and what it is "supposed" to do vs how some shops leave the set up even after a new clutch instal.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ghozt,

Yeah I did all of those adjustments. And I totally forgot about Jack's as a shop and a resource so I reached out to him today. If anything I am a finicky **** and want to gauge if others are having the same experience.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I was paying more attention now that you asked and my clutch pedal starts the engagement about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way off the floor and is consistent until it reaches the top of the travel. I also replaced my slave cylinder a while back because it was notchy. I have the same CMC as you and the clutch is livable for me but certainly not the best clutch I've had on a car. I agree it is kind of quirky, but my goal as to get consistant travel and pedal feel which I have achieved I think.