Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Review: TopSpeed Pro-1 Catback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Review: TopSpeed Pro-1 Catback

I'm somewhat of a noob here but I would like to take a few minutes to give my take on the Exhaust I installed on my 08 X. I ordered the topspeed pro1 catback which actually comes with a test pipe which I decided not to install for now. Install was easy. I am fortunate to have access to a lift and was able to uninstall factory system and install the topspeed pro1 in about 30 minutes. I love it's deep tone during idle/wot and to my surprise it doesn't have much of a drone at all once cruising. fitment is also top notch. For $600, this is a steal. From a company that does custom exhaust for big names like Lamborghini and ferrari you expect great quality. I do have one question for the experienced: with the new piping is it supposed to emit a burning smell for a while? If not what is causing that? If there are any other questions about my purchase I will gladly answer.

-t
Old Jan 31, 2015, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not uncommon to have some odd smells with a new exhaust as the mufflers bed in and any residues burn off. Also, not uncommon to have a packing peanut or two take up residence in the exhaust and burn.

Fitment looks good. Much better than say CNT.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 06:05 PM

Looks real good. The smell should go away after a little bit. Make sure you done have a plastic bag stuck on it like i did lololo
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have one on mine now. Fitment and build quality were very good. I was really impressed for the price. Will be removing it and selling it shortly. Can't deal with the volume anymore! I never tried it with the factory cat. How loud is it?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
I have one on mine now. Fitment and build quality were very good. I was really impressed for the price. Will be removing it and selling it shortly. Can't deal with the volume anymore! I never tried it with the factory cat. How loud is it?
it's still pretty loud with the factory cat as you probably suspected. But it is fairly quiet once cruising, Which I'm ok with as it is not my full time daily driver. I have a ranger fx4 level2 with 250k miles and still running strong, still a truck man at heart.

Thanks for the replies guys.
-t
Old Feb 3, 2015, 06:17 AM

Ya new exhausts usually smell for a few hundred miles and sometimes will smoke but it will go away. I was thinking about switching to this exhaust looks good.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 08:36 AM

Looks great. this was one of my choices for exhaust
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:43 PM

Really like how they look!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks really good, how does it sound any drone?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 01:22 PM

Nice!! It was between this exhaust and ets for me in terms of raw loud sound!! Nice pick up for the price as well!!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-Who
looks really good, how does it sound any drone?
it has a nice deep tone and nice grumble at idle. Wot it gets pretty loud. But once cruising it is almost silent even at highway speeds! Of course, I am still on my factory cat so you may have different results depending on your cat location setup. The red evo videos on YouTube give a really good sample on how it sounds. I would like to do a cabin video when I get the time.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by t_rally
it has a nice deep tone and nice grumble at idle. Wot it gets pretty loud. But once cruising it is almost silent even at highway speeds! Of course, I am still on my factory cat so you may have different results depending on your cat location setup. The red evo videos on YouTube give a really good sample on how it sounds. I would like to do a cabin video when I get the time.
So that must be one of the benefits of running it with the stock cat. I've run mine with the included test pipe and with a speed circuit resonated test pipe and the drone is crazy on the highway with either one (better with the resonator but not by a ton). I'd say it's fine until about 3k rpm and then you have bad drone from 3k to almost 4k. So if you are always driving at like under 50 or over 85-90 than you should be fine. That's about where you need to be to escape the "drone band."

I'm actually only removing mine because of the drone. If it didn't drone I'd keep it on there... it sounds pretty awesome at idle and WOT.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
So that must be one of the benefits of running it with the stock cat. I've run mine with the included test pipe and with a speed circuit resonated test pipe and the drone is crazy on the highway with either one (better with the resonator but not by a ton). I'd say it's fine until about 3k rpm and then you have bad drone from 3k to almost 4k. So if you are always driving at like under 50 or over 85-90 than you should be fine. That's about where you need to be to escape the "drone band."

I'm actually only removing mine because of the drone. If it didn't drone I'd keep it on there... it sounds pretty awesome at idle and WOT.
That's what I figured PSUfan1. From I have gathered from my setup with the stock cat it is surprisingly loud wot but is nicely quiet while cruising at any rpm and mph so it's not surprising that this exhaust system is a loud monster with anything other than stock cat. I don't blame you for the switch. Certain people are looking for different things in an exhaust system. So if you are looking to keep your stock cat and still want a nice exhaust sound look no further than this catback If you have high flow or test pipe and don't want any droning you might want to pass on this product. Still a good quality piece that's light on the wallet in my opinion. Still happy with my purchase.

-t
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:05 PM

PSUfan1, are you still selling the exhaust?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by t_rally
From a company that does custom exhaust for big names like Lamborghini and ferrari you expect great quality.
-t
This place located in dfw area? If so, i dont think so. If they does real custom work for lambo and ferrari they wont sell exhaust for that cheap. I remember they are more like ebay store. I have bought some couplers and clamps from them long time ago. Their customer service was top notch tho.

But that exhaust sounds sick. Is it 3" exhaust? How big is tip?