Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine Build

hey guys, I have been contemplating building my motor recently. My final power goals are 700-800WHP. Is it worth building my head, or buying an ams head or map etc..

OR

Do I just build my block, and just get cams/springs/retainers for the head?

Also, should I just buy stuff and build the head myself/have a shop do it, or once again buy one like the ams stage 2(not strong enough maybe for my goals??) or map etc..

If I can hit 750whp without building my head and have it be reliable!!!! then that is what I will do. Thank you for your input in advance.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
BlackE hit 700+ on a stock head with an EFR 8374. Cams for sure i believe. He also spent a good amount of time tuning and perfecting. He can probably get close to 800 without headwork if he really tried.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't really need to build the head (porting, valve seats, etc) unless you're looking to extract every ounce of power out of it. Big turbo, cams, springs and some corn juice will get you to 750 pretty easily
Old May 15, 2015, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet that's what I was looking for. I didn't think I needed to build my head either but I wanted to ask just in case, will definitely be doing cams though. Now just to figure out if I should buy the ams sleeved 2.2, boostin's sleeved block or just just sleeve my own..I've read that sleeving your block is extremely hard, so I don't really want to do it myself. I can also buy the ams bare block that is just sleeved and then do everything else myself. I know ams uses ERL sleeves, but I haven't heard much about them only Darton really. Are the ERL sleeves good?
Old May 17, 2015, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elkazX
Sweet that's what I was looking for. I didn't think I needed to build my head either but I wanted to ask just in case, will definitely be doing cams though. Now just to figure out if I should buy the ams sleeved 2.2, boostin's sleeved block or just just sleeve my own..I've read that sleeving your block is extremely hard, so I don't really want to do it myself. I can also buy the ams bare block that is just sleeved and then do everything else myself. I know ams uses ERL sleeves, but I haven't heard much about them only Darton really. Are the ERL sleeves good?
Do not try sleeving your own block.. just dont

Can't go wrong with either sleeves. I know you can't resleeve a Darton sleeved block like you can with ERL sleeves
Old May 18, 2015, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
Do not try sleeving your own block.. just dont

Can't go wrong with either sleeves. I know you can't resleeve a Darton sleeved block like you can with ERL sleeves
Can't go wrong with either sleeves. I know you can't resleeve a Darton sleeved block like you can with ERL sleeves[/QUOTE]
yeah ive heard its extremely hard lol and I would not wanna mess something like that up. that definitely a plus for the ERL if that is ever needed