Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe Install, LICP Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Downpipe Install, LICP Questions

I wanted to ask the experts on here a couple questions about my upgrade path. I've done my home work, but I'm not 100% clear on a couple things.

My mods: UR test pipe and cat back, ETS UICP, CBRD FMIC, Cobb Panel Filter

I was thinking about installing a 02 delete downpipe. Probably AMS, UR or maybe MAP. I have a 2014 GSR with about 5K miles on it, I've been driving it since about November of last year. I was wondering if at this point will the downpipe be a major hassle to swap out. I've read that it's a major pain to install, but on a newer vehicle it may be a bit easier. I don't want to have to pull the turbo myself, I don't have any real help or anyone who has ever worked with turbos before to turn to. Opinions? I will probably end up buying a turbo kit that requires a custom downpipe anyway, but that will be at least a year away.

And in regards to the LICP. I've read that it doesn't do much, but I assume that they're talking about OEM intercooler on the threads I've read. Will the LICP be a worth while upgrade for an after market FMIC like mine?

Basically what I want to do is get all the bolt ons done before I take it to CBRD for a tune. So I don't have to pay for another tune any time soon, until I go turbo upgrade hopefully. Intake is on the agenda too, but I'll have that installed when I go down for a tune. Right now I'm running the Cobb stage 2 off the shelf tune, I've been keeping an eye on fuel air ratios and knock, it seems pretty stable, I also have the upgraded relay.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We've found it to be very hit / miss when installing down pipes. I've had cars with less than 5k miles have two bolts break off in the turbo housing, and I've had cars with 60-70k miles have the bolts come out no problem. Heat is your friend when doing them, soak with penetrating oil for a few hours / overnight then whatever bolts don't break free, take some heat to them. If they start backing out and then seize, take some old brake fluid and try to dip it on the threads to have it penetrate into the housing. Run the bolt back in, and it should back right out no problem if done correctly.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cerealkeller
I wanted to ask the experts on here a couple questions about my upgrade path. I've done my home work, but I'm not 100% clear on a couple things.

My mods: UR test pipe and cat back, ETS UICP, CBRD FMIC, Cobb Panel Filter

I was thinking about installing a 02 delete downpipe. Probably AMS, UR or maybe MAP. I have a 2014 GSR with about 5K miles on it, I've been driving it since about November of last year. I was wondering if at this point will the downpipe be a major hassle to swap out. I've read that it's a major pain to install, but on a newer vehicle it may be a bit easier. I don't want to have to pull the turbo myself, I don't have any real help or anyone who has ever worked with turbos before to turn to. Opinions? I will probably end up buying a turbo kit that requires a custom downpipe anyway, but that will be at least a year away.

And in regards to the LICP. I've read that it doesn't do much, but I assume that they're talking about OEM intercooler on the threads I've read. Will the LICP be a worth while upgrade for an after market FMIC like mine?

Basically what I want to do is get all the bolt ons done before I take it to CBRD for a tune. So I don't have to pay for another tune any time soon, until I go turbo upgrade hopefully. Intake is on the agenda too, but I'll have that installed when I go down for a tune. Right now I'm running the Cobb stage 2 off the shelf tune, I've been keeping an eye on fuel air ratios and knock, it seems pretty stable, I also have the upgraded relay.

I feel a downpipe on a stock turbo bolt on car is not worth much as far as gains at all-

Id rather see someone buy an intercooler for better efficiency!

cb
Old May 28, 2015, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need / Very little need for a LICP on our cars.. It will produce little to no gains.

My recommendation would be to get an upgraded intake vs. just the drop in filter.

If you're planning on a turbo either way, I would probably wait until you get your turbo, then do the downpipe & intake at the same time. It will not only save you money and TIME (a lot of time) doing it this way, but then if you break a bolt, who cares? Then you will also only have to tune once (considering you're using a pro-tune and not off-the-shelf tunes).

Doing just a downpipe or just a LICP or just an intake isn't worth spending the money on doing a pro-tune. Get all the new mods and spend the $ on a pro-tune to get the most out of your car.

There's a lot of resources here to help you with the install, and if you can take out the downpipe yourself, you can take out the turbo. Just be prepared to spend the better part of a day doing it, and be able to take a few good breaks when you get your knuckles banged up or get stuck.