Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil leak from turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak from turbo?

Recently noticed when I changed my oil there is oil coming out of the turbo where it connects to the upper intercooler pipe. That ain't normal... Car seems to be running fine. However tho about 2 months ago the car did suck up water and hydrolocked (I shut it off asap when I felt it sputter, towed it home cleaned it up and it ran perfectly fine) anyone have any idea what this might be.? Bad turbo.?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 09:24 AM

Here's a pic.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you done a compression test to see if the cylinders are holding even pressure? I would clean the oil stain and drive. Then check every day or so and see how quick it comes back. And of course check your oil level daily for a while. You did an oil change after the water vacuum right? If not, do. Good luck.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghozt
Have you done a compression test to see if the cylinders are holding even pressure? I would clean the oil stain and drive. Then check every day or so and see how quick it comes back. And of course check your oil level daily for a while. You did an oil change after the water vacuum right? If not, do. Good luck.
I haven't done a compression test. The car never felt like it lost any power tho. I need to do that tomorrow since I don't have a compression tester. After cleaning it all up I changed the oil like 6 times. Flushing it through then twice after startup until it came out clean.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 05:17 PM

Oil level doesn't go down. I'm thinking tho if oil is seeping out through there I must have a boost leak too. Wondering if that boost leak is somehow pushing or sucking oil out the turbo..? Idk
Old Sep 7, 2015, 05:26 PM

Yeah I would do a compression test and boost leak test. Not hard and can do it yourself if you have tools and an air compressor.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Its either the turbo pushing a small amount of oil, or your pulling through the crankcase vent hose that goes from the valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe..
Old Sep 14, 2015, 08:20 PM

UPDATE: Finally had time to do a compression test. My results were 140 135 132 and 140. If im not mistaken it should be within range. Right? what do yall think of these numbers.?

As for the oil I havent seen any more oil in these past few days. I do believe though that the gasket that goes between the turbo outlet and the coupler joint is bad. I have also noticed a whistle sound when boosting...? sounds like a supercharger kinda lol I ordered a new gasket and will be posting what i find after i replace it.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 06:07 AM

Sounds like you're in the clear. I'd just drive it. It'll let you know if it's having issues. Curious did you do a boost leak test and that why you feel the need to replace that gasket? Did you find a leak?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:16 AM

Sounds like you're in the clear. I'd just drive it. It'll let you know if it's having issues. Curious did you do a boost leak test and that why you feel the need to replace that gasket? Did you find a leak?
Didn't do a boost leak test but I did loosen the fitting to take a peek inside the turbo n check for oil. Surprisingly it was dry but I noticed there was no gasket tho.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 01:26 PM

Hey, had a shop here remove my turbo when he was removing my downpipe. I had a bad oil return line gasket. Somehow it cracked and since the turbo was never removed it didn't start leaking until the oil return line was taken off. Ordered one from extreme psi for $2.00. Not sure if this is your issue but I would check the gaskets on the oil feed and oil return. My car only has 50k on it so I thought it was odd that the gasket had a crack down the middle of it.