Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch slipping already!?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slipping already!?!

I have 800 miles on my car. Got my 15 GSR a few weeks ago. Just got on the highway to head back down to the city and the rpm jump in 4th 5th is horrendous. Clutch had to have some kinda defect, has this happened to anyone?

Edit:: 15 minutes after I made this thread, clutch completely gave out and I had to get towed to a dealer. Thinking low/empty transmission fluid could be a culprit. I guess we'll all find out. Stay tuned folks. ��

Thanks Obama.

Last edited by TheMuffStuff; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yikes. I hope they cover it under warranty.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I would not have big hopes for warranty on clutch , unless mechanical failure, example something breaks. Burned surface on the disk is a driver error, so they can tell immediately why the clutch is slipping.
In my experience, if the clutch is slipping that is a driver error. You don't need 800 miles to destroy the disk. You can do that with a lot less mileage.

Either way I hope they will cover it for you under warranty.

PS: low transmission fluid has nothng to do with your mechanically operated ( your feet) clutch system. And I am not sure what this has to do with Obama.

( I am not a democrat by far ... )
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Interested to see what dealership says. Clutches are wearable items, and you could easily fry it in 800 miles if you're not driving it right.

Good luck!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:04 AM

I could be the worst driver in the world, but even 800 miles is too little. I could probably destroy a clutch if I was intentionally beating on it, in a day, but driving normally, not launching it, babying it because its still a brand new turbo, I dont possibly see how It could have fried in 800 miles. What the weird thing is, it went from slipping to completely fried in a matter of 20-25 minutes, HIGHWAY DRIVING. I can see if it was slipping and I continued to use it for another week or so, but 20 minutes from completely fine, to slipping, to shot? Hard to believe its me.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:37 AM

Yeah something is not right, 800 miles is not a lot of miles I have 4800 miles on my 15 GSR and no issues with the clutch, granted I have babied my car and only did a couple of short pulls up to the speed limit. Good luck with the dealership, they should cover it under warranty. There is no way a clutch should completely give out after 800 miles unless there is a defect. You would have to be slipping it at every light and getting on it every single chance you had to have it go that soon. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteEVO15
Yeah something is not right, 800 miles is not a lot of miles I have 4800 miles on my 15 GSR and no issues with the clutch, granted I have babied my car and only did a couple of short pulls up to the speed limit. Good luck with the dealership, they should cover it under warranty. There is no way a clutch should completely give out after 800 miles unless there is a defect. You would have to be slipping it at every light and getting on it every single chance you had to have it go that soon. Let us know how it turns out.
Thats exactly what I said, thanks dude. Granted its my first standard ive ever owned, but I have had driven in them plenty of times. My dad had 2 while I was learning how to drive, that I learned on. Im sure I wore it out a tad faster than a pro, but 800 miles is whats tricky. 250 of those miles are highway driving as well. Just weird how it goes from completely fine to completely broken in 30-45 minutes of driving on the highway. I hope the dealership sees it that way, because if not mitsubishi corporate gonna get a nice phne call lol.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:44 AM

Is your car still bone stock? I would hope so with only 800 miles but you never know. I cant say much for dealerships but I know I have had my share of bad experiences when I owned my old car 2008 Caliber SRT4. I was having transmission issues and they kept saying they could not duplicate the problem and all that blah blah nonsense. Told me to bring it back to them when it was broken. Well I did exactly that and low and behold they denied my warranty because I had an aftermarket clutch installed. So yeah as long as you are still stock which I imagine you are then you should have no problems. Just explain to them you were on the highway and cruising and that's when the clutch went. I am sure they are going to have to tear into it see what the problem is. That's weird for a clutch to completely give out, was there any fluid noticeable coming from the car? Clutch master Cylinder maybe went bad?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:46 AM

Yeah completely stock, its 3 weeks old
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Interested to see how they handle this. A slipping clutch is either slipping from improper use, or the there was a mechanical failure. You driving it until it was completely done didn't help. Because if there was an issue with the frication, like a large piece broke off initially that would have been warranty-able, evidence of that will be completely gone now..

Low trans fluid won't make the clutch slip. Unless the input shaft seal went and soaked the clutch in fluid. But that's not likely.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Do have a brother that might have beat on it while you were sleeping at night? I had that happen to me once. Not on my Evo though. Lols
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Interested to see how they handle this. A slipping clutch is either slipping from improper use, or the there was a mechanical failure. You driving it until it was completely done didn't help. Because if there was an issue with the frication, like a large piece broke off initially that would have been warranty-able, evidence of that will be completely gone now..

Low trans fluid won't make the clutch slip. Unless the input shaft seal went and soaked the clutch in fluid. But that's not likely.
I know driving it until it was dead didnt help, but I was on the highway and the car was fine.. Randomly started to slip, 30 miles later got to the nearest rest area and by that time the clutch wasnt working at all. Probably should have pulled over at first sign, but damn. The key here is 800 miles. How bad of a driver does someone have to be to completely burn out a clutch in 800 miles? I dont even think the worst driver could do that, unless he completely tried to ruin it. Im more or less shocked that it happened at 800. 4000 or 5000, okay maybe Im a little rough and the stock clutch is ***, but under 1000 thats an issue. Ill keep you all in touch, hopefully its something that doesnt make me look like a bad driver.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:26 AM

Update: The dealer does not want to cover it, so now here comes the long process having to deal with mitsubishi corporate. Wish me luck folks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
yikes. good luck.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff
Update: The dealer does not want to cover it, so now here comes the long process having to deal with mitsubishi corporate. Wish me luck folks.
The dealer doesn't "cover" anything, Mitsubishi does. The dealer performs the work and are paid for the work by Mitsubishi. Good luck..

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping already!?!