Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone launch 450whp-500whp on the stock tranny w/upgraded clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone launch 450whp-500whp on the stock tranny w/upgraded clutch?

Just wanted to hear your experiences at this power level with launching. I have a competition clutch in the stock tranny and I use the "E-brake" when I launch. I have only launched it once on the stock clutch on the stock turbo setup. Just upgraded the clutch. I have a 14' GSR with 450whp (Dynodynamics). Let me know what your thoughts and inputs are on this.

PS I am also getting rear diff billet bushings and polyurethane motor mount insert to minimize "wheel hop" and "wheel spin".

Last edited by Thugline; Dec 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

To the top
Old Dec 5, 2015, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to know if my tranny or T-Case would brk on the 1st launch. Lol that's all.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've launched my 8 on stock drive line with a comp stage 2 and an exedy triple tons of times at numerous power levels. 401,449,506,and now 600hp 501tq, no issues. You're fine as long as you know what your doing and not hot lapping, eventually its going to break just like anything that takes lots of abuse.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input. But you have an an 8. I'm talking about an Evo x.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

To the top
Old Dec 6, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
There are allot of members at your power level or higher in X's that have successfully launched their cars at drag strips. Allot of their success depends on knowing the track prep and their launch technique for their set up.

If you end up on a track that is prepped well with VHT and you side step your clutch at your torque peak you could shell your transfer case on the first attempt .... or the 50th.

Since you are concerned about breaking things may I consider you launch conservatively
instead of using aggressive launches.

Wheelhop on a well prepped track is a drivetrain killer. Too much clutch slipping at launch can be a clutch killer. You will learn the best by doing it yourself but be prepared if things don't go as expected.

Best of luck

Last edited by whtrice; Dec 6, 2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 6, 2015, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

True
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:09 PM

One of the pins shot out my tranny on like my 11 launch ..so I think u will be ok for a little while...but launching on stock tranny is just a matter of time before the diff pins break!!... I'm at 390 whp and 362 wtq.....
Old Dec 28, 2015, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RICAN
One of the pins shot out my tranny on like my 11 launch ..so I think u will be ok for a little while...but launching on stock tranny is just a matter of time before the diff pins break!!... I'm at 390 whp and 362 wtq.....
what were the symptoms?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RICAN
On my 11th launch,the clutch stuck to the floor and the stick wouldn't go into gear. When the car is off you can move the stick into each gear weather the clutch is disengaged or not while the car is off
Old Dec 28, 2015, 03:37 AM

No Symptoms...I launch and did a pull and i smell tranny fluid in the mittle of the wot pull.hahahah...I stop and there was tranny oil all over the bottom of my car ..hahah..one of the pins shot out ....I said f&*( it and drove my car back home (like 10 miles)....i was surprised on normal driving the tranny still function normal hahah....just no oil....it never give me any problems going in gear or nothing like that

The next day I took it down and order the "ULTIMATE EVO X" from jacks ....with all the options the offer at they offered back then (11 months ago)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 127 Posts
chicken too

I use the OEM ECU to limit 1st gear boost. I launched only once at like 28psi or so
Now I launch on wastegate (0% WGDC) and then once 2nd hits my other boost curve kicks in. Honestly I should limit 2nd as well, but that would require a lot of work and external hardware to limit 1st for me, and have the ecu limit 2nd switching over to 2nd boost map for 3rd gear. My 60ft times therefore suck. My brother in his 5.OHHHH is actually quicker off the line due to my limiting of power on launch
But I am too chicken after hearing stories of t-case and diffs breaking.

Grudge match continues in the spring.
No EVOs came to represent, and he brought like 5-8 stangs including one with a whipple that ran a 10.9x !!!! Full weight and TWO guys in it..

~Jaraxle
Old Dec 30, 2015, 06:56 AM

I think it's more so how you launch the car rather than the power level. You can damage the drive train even at stock power levels.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by counterforce661
I think it's more so how you launch the car rather than the power level. You can damage the drive train even at stock power levels.

I am not sure what you mean. Launch is launch is launch.. One foot on the brake and WOT with the launch control holding the RPMs.

~Jaraxle

Quick Reply: Anyone launch 450whp-500whp on the stock tranny w/upgraded clutch?