Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fighting drone?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fighting drone?

Hey folks,

I currently have TurboXS catback and AMS HFC set up with extra Vibrant mini-muffler welded in the midpipe(meh, it reduces sound overall, but drone is there), sounds great overall, but drone is there and it's not fun at all.

I have been reading into what drone is and how to get rid of it, and seems like any exhaust can be set up with no drone, as long as you do things right.

Of course there are exhausts like Corsa, and brand new quieter exhausts, but at the moment, I am looking into more of a DIY solution to save money and learn the whole "**** the drone".

So, so far I have found out:
  • Things like custom J-pipes or side resonator tube are great at cancelling drone leaving clean exhaust sound outside the car if ingenered correctly.
  • Bullet-type mufflers are great a tthis, but difference can vary based on different cars and systems.
  • HEatwrap might or might not do a thing.

My question is, has anyone tried fighting/successfully won the battle with drone so far, specifically, rally prepped and race cars, how did you guys fix the drone, I bet you don't go with Corsa or some smaller diameter piping, but rather have some custom solutions. So what are they?

Have anyone had experience with bullet type muffler, specifically Dynamax one? Reviews are good, but so were the reviews for a mini-muffler.

J-pipes anyone?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Getting rid of drone without simply making the car quiet is hard without the engineering equipment to figure out what frequencies are causing the drone, and then cancelling those frequencies.