Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire/ Injectors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire/ Injectors

Evening guys,

So quick backstory. I own a 2010 Evo X SE. I've had Cobb on it ever since I got it and finally went to Stage 3 about 6 weeks ago. I recently took my car to Mitsubishi for an oil change and something funky has happened. I'm pretty sure this happening is not a direct correlation of the oil change being done. Anyways after the oil change I have encountered multiple misfires. At first it says cylinder 2 now it says random cylinders as well as a p0201 code for the injector. My mechanic took a look at it to see if it has anything to do with coils, plugs, or injectors and no luck. He checked the compression and everything checked out. Any ideas of what could be going on? I plan on checking the injectors as well as plugs on my next day off.

Thanks,
Jake
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
im not familiar with cob AP but from common sense, I would guess stage 3 would mean more boost than stage 2, that being said, your spark plug gap might now be too high for the boost you are running now, I would check the gap on all 4, gap them about 0.02-0.03" less, clear the codes and drive it, if it misfires, pull it and take another one or two tenths off the gap. General rule of thumb, the more boost you run, the tighter the gap needs to be or else you will encounter blowout. Goodluck
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:09 PM

Could this be caused by a bad resistor by chance?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Troubleshoot.

I just had a misfire in 3 and it spread to "multiple." I shell-swapped the ignition coils, same code. I swapped the plugs, misfire transferred to new cylinders. Changed the plugs, problem solved. The injectors were next on my list if the plugs wouldn't have migrated the code. Also check if your plugs are wet. Mine were all bone dry...wasn't worried about oil consumption luckily.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:40 AM

Turned out to be bad injectors. Took her to a dealer to get replaced and extended warranty is covering it all. They are billing $2000 for the whole process of replacement. If this doesn't fix the problem it's on the dealership at this point. We did all the testing before and codes changed when we moved the injectors around.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:05 AM

This is odd... I had pretty much the exact same scenario happen to me... took the car in to the dealership for a normal oil change, got in the car and started it and there was a CEL. The service manager tried telling me it's due to hitting the rev limiter too much, but I hadn't hit the limiter, let alone driven the car hard in 3-4 months. I kept the car in the garage for most of the winter. When he said that I immediately assumed the tech test drove it like a jackass and ****ed something up. Needless to say, I'm not taking my car back there anymore... Such a waste of $1500 for the stupid 5-year maintenance plan... Oh well. I normally do all the maintenance and modding myself anyway.

The CEL at the dealership was P0300B. Next one happened today (a month later) and it was P0304. Then after clearing that I got P0300 a few hours later. All of which happen on start up or shortly after start up.

My tuner said it is most likely being caused by my ACT Streetlite flywheel, but I had that and the clutch kit installed (by the dealership) last June and I hadn't seen any misfire codes until I had the oil change done. He recommended checking the spark plugs and doing a compression test just to eliminate those possibilities. Fuel injectors would be next on the list if the CEL persists or gets worse. My tuner said he's seen a few OEM injectors fail first hand...

Last edited by flawlessninja; Apr 11, 2016 at 12:15 AM.