Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Beatrush Rear Differential Spacer - Whine?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Beatrush Rear Differential Spacer - Whine?

Thought I heard the notorious transfer case whine a few weeks ago. Heard the loudest under light acceleration at 5th @ 60mph. Made an appointment with the stealership to see if it could be repaired under warranty.

*Only drivetrain modifications are the Beatrush Rear Differential Spacers and the Torque Solutions Driveshaft Carrier Bushings. Car purchased used, 30k miles in 2014 where all fluids were changed. Current mileage is 43k. Never launched in my ownership. Occasional NLTS*

The dealer tells me that the whine isn't from the transfer case at all; it's coming from the rear differential, but the "aftermarket bushings are stiffer and don't allow the differential to move how it should, thus damaging the differential".

I'm told to revert the bushings back to stock, give it back to the dealer, and they will try to see if the repair can be done under warranty. Oh, side note: it's already been stated they've documented all modifications to the differential. (aka, it's not being covered)

So, I've already eaten a $110 diagnostic fee from the dealership, so they can *@#^ off. I'm more-than-likely to just hand the Evo to either CBRD (1hr) or Moore (2hrs) and have them diagnose what exactly is wrong, and then go from there.

TLDR; Has ANYONE ever heard of the Beatrush Rear Differential Spacers causing any issues within their differential? Or is this a resonating (NVH) whine from the bushings into the cabin? I've never heard of anything whatsoever, especially since Beatrush has them for the VIII, IX and X.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

stiffer bushings means transmitted noise / vibration. plain and simple.
your going to hear the rear diff whine and feel it with stiffer than stock bushings anywhere.

as for damage inside the rear diff, i hardly suspect that. like the guy said, revert back to stock and see. im pretty positive the noise will go away if that is the only thing u changed that gave u the noise.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't see how the Diff can take the tremendous force of acceleration and such with no issue, but a the stiffness of the rubber somehow manages to kill it. I'm suspicious of that claim.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
stiffer bushings means transmitted noise / vibration. plain and simple.
your going to hear the rear diff whine and feel it with stiffer than stock bushings anywhere.

as for damage inside the rear diff, i hardly suspect that. like the guy said, revert back to stock and see. im pretty positive the noise will go away if that is the only thing u changed that gave u the noise.
Yeah, that's the next step I'll be taking. I'm HOPING that I saved the old bushings when I removed them. I know that the Driveshaft Carrier Bushings were destroyed when replaced, because of dry rotting/seizing of materials, but I'm hopeful that the differential bushings are in tact somewhere in my garage. I'll check this afternoon. If not, that's a $94.06 cost to mitsubishiparts.net.

Originally Posted by jakgal04
I don't see how the Diff can take the tremendous force of acceleration and such with no issue, but a the stiffness of the rubber somehow manages to kill it. I'm suspicious of that claim.
... I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
Yeah, that's the next step I'll be taking. I'm HOPING that I saved the old bushings when I removed them. I know that the Driveshaft Carrier Bushings were destroyed when replaced, because of dry rotting/seizing of materials, but I'm hopeful that the differential bushings are in tact somewhere in my garage. I'll check this afternoon. If not, that's a $94.06 cost to mitsubishiparts.net.

... I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
I'm saying I don't agree with the dealers claim that the bushings are the reason for your problem.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Stiffer diff bushing means the whine that the rear diff as already making is now audible instead of being absorbed in the squishy stock bushings. Get the diff rebuilt and properly set up (they are generally set up pretty poorly from the factory), deal with the whine, or put the stock bushings back in.
The following users liked this post:
2DCVIN (Jun 16, 2016)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jakgal04
I'm saying I don't agree with the dealers claim that the bushings are the reason for your problem.
Oh! Gotcha! It was hard understanding it at first. Yeah, I don't believe the claim either.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Stiffer diff bushing means the whine that the rear diff as already making is now audible instead of being absorbed in the squishy stock bushings. Get the diff rebuilt and properly set up (they are generally set up pretty poorly from the factory), deal with the whine, or put the stock bushings back in.
Don't care about the whine if I know it's just NVH; that's what I'm trying to understand, hence me asking about it. If I swap back to stock bushings and the whine goes away, then I'll put the spacers back on and not worry about a thing.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 06:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,336 Posts
I wouldn't bother swapping back. Your diff started whining the second you installed the bushings. It's pretty obvious that it's just increased NVH. It's something the 8/9 guys are very familiar with, there are many many threads on it..
Old Jun 22, 2016, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 45k on my car with the beatrush bushings ... No problems
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I wouldn't bother swapping back. Your diff started whining the second you installed the bushings. It's pretty obvious that it's just increased NVH. It's something the 8/9 guys are very familiar with, there are many many threads on it..
I drive the car on weekends, and had been travel with work and vacation for about a month, so it was hard to pinpoint when the sound actually started, or if I just happened to notice it, because usually I have the radio blasting/exhaust drone, which covers all sounds.

.. UPDATE: It was NVH from the bushings. Took me 10 minutes to reinstall stock bushings, notice there was no more whine, and put the Beatrush spacers back in. Moral of the story; dealerships are a**holes.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
.. UPDATE: It was NVH from the bushings. Took me 10 minutes to reinstall stock bushings, notice there was no more whine, and put the Beatrush spacers back in. Moral of the story; dealerships are a**holes.

Glad to see someone else had this issue & was able to pinpoint the problem. I have the same whine after installing the Beatrush bushings...I nearly had a heart attack thinking it was a death whine on my 8k mile car. I changed the diff fluid and everything came out clean, no shavings of any sort. I think I'm going to swap back to stock and see if mine goes away too. I sent you an email to confirm I have the right OEM parts list.

Let me know if you're interested in selling the OEM parts you just got.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 05:47 AM

Same sound

Just bought an 8 and did a short drive no freeway and he told me it had the beatrush bushings and spacers didnt think much of it. Paid him the cash hopped on the freeway and damn is it loud. I know it is better for the drivetrain but its really loud and doesnt sound healthy to me anyways. Has anyone tried anything to remedy this with keeping the bushings? Lube or something idk haha first reply on this site dont beat me up please.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOVIII05
Just bought an 8 and did a short drive no freeway and he told me it had the beatrush bushings and spacers didnt think much of it. Paid him the cash hopped on the freeway and damn is it loud. I know it is better for the drivetrain but its really loud and doesnt sound healthy to me anyways. Has anyone tried anything to remedy this with keeping the bushings? Lube or something idk haha first reply on this site dont beat me up please.
It's a solid bushing - lube won't help, because the vibration from the differential is just going through the bushing into the chassis. Your only option would be to replace them with softer bushings so that the vibration is kept within the bushing, but then you lose the rigidity and increase slop in that area.

I'm sure you can go on the forums and find someone to swap out with you.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:41 AM

Ok thank you figured as much but was worth a shot to see. This is the first car i have owned that i signed up for a site like this and im already liking it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by strato614
Glad to see someone else had this issue & was able to pinpoint the problem. I have the same whine after installing the Beatrush bushings...I nearly had a heart attack thinking it was a death whine on my 8k mile car. I changed the diff fluid and everything came out clean, no shavings of any sort. I think I'm going to swap back to stock and see if mine goes away too.
Just a quick update. I swapped my rear diff bushing back to stock and the whine went away. Anyone who thinks they have a death whine and has the Beatrush bushings installed should give this a try! Also, I have the driveshaft bushings as well. I left them installed, no noise.