Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Brian Crower S2 Cams/Cams in General??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016 | 05:55 AM

Brian Crower S2 Cams/Cams in General??

I'm looking cams for my next upgrade. I wanted to ask the Evo X community if anybody out there has the BC S2 cams, if they're holding up over time, if they got decent gains? But my main question is if you can really run them with stock valve springs safely or if there's any other work that is required other than dropping them into place? Aside from tuning of course.
I was set on the GSC S2, but they require spring upgrades and the work would mean I would have to leave my car at the shop for a few days. Since I live 4 hours away from there, it's gonna be tough to work out a scenario where I can make that work.
I'd also like to hear any opinions and details about people's experience with upgraded cams.
Im not on stock turbo, I'm running an EFR 7163.
Old Jun 29, 2016 | 09:42 AM

Nobody? ha ha, I read in a lot of different places people saying stay away from the BC cams. But nobody actually had any reason other than their personal opinions, from what I could tell.
Price isn't the issue here, I just wanted the most aggressive cam I could get without having to pull the head. So how about we switch the topic to that?
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

I believe that a lot of users run the GSC S2 and beehives, but if you're worried about a time constraint, then the S1's can be used on stock springs, but you won't be getting the extra couple ponies up top and may regret it.

The 7163 has a lot of power to hand out and holds it steady, so the S2's are good to 8500, while the S1s are good up to 7500.
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
I believe that a lot of users run the GSC S2 and beehives, but if you're worried about a time constraint, then the S1's can be used on stock springs, but you won't be getting the extra couple ponies up top and may regret it.

The 7163 has a lot of power to hand out and holds it steady, so the S2's are good to 8500, while the S1s are good up to 7500.
Thanks. I'm worried about revving past 7500 on stock internals anyway. I may go with the GSC S1s until I can get a 2.2L sleeved short block. I'm pretty sure I can do the install myself without having to pull the head. But when the time comes I'm gonna see if I can find a fellow member of our community who would be willing to help. Right now I'm actually more interested in improving spool and picking up some mid range power more than I am up top.

So if there's anyone from southern New York or North to North Central PA who has done the cam install before and would be willing to aid a fellow X enthusiast, I would be willing to travel to you. Especially if you have a garage with all the proper tools, which I do not.

Last edited by cerealkeller; Jul 2, 2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old Jul 4, 2016 | 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Get some GSC S2 and Beehive springs. Take your car to CBRD or E-SPEC and have them install & tune. Either shop should be able to do the work same day if you make an appointment. Worst case you leave it overnight.
Dropped my car off at 5150 at about 10am on a Wednesday and it was done Thursday early afternoon. Cams, springs & retainers, intake, MAP manifold, GTX turbo upgrade, dyno tuned, all said & done. Easy peasy.
I love my GSC S2 cams and rev to 8K no problem. Go for it!
Old Jul 6, 2016 | 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

For up to 600whp, the S1's will give you the best curve, smooth idle and better off boost drivability.
Old Jul 6, 2016 | 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Can't comment on better curve but my idle and off boost drivability are great with S2 cams. Tame idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy31...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 7, 2016 | 05:34 AM

thanks for the suggestions, I probably won't be able to get the install done til tax time next year if I have to buy the cams, springs and labor.
I have another question, does anybody know of anybody who has had issues with their MIVEC cam gear housings cracking with the GSC springs? I've heard about cracked cam gears with double springs, but not sure about the beehives.
Old Jul 7, 2016 | 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I have not heard of issues with the GSC beehive springs cracking the MIVEC housing. Dual valve springs have been known to do that though.