Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear diff ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear diff ?

So I have a 2015 evo x Full bolt On E85 just had a quartermaster 8 leg clutch put in. Yesterday driving on my way home I went to take a left turn and I hear whining and the metal to metal thumps. At first I thought maybe something got stuck on my tire or something cause my car is pretty low. But when I went to check nothing went around the corner metal to metal thumps with a small whine. The car drive fine when going straight no whine or anything u might hear that metal to metal thump when taking off but no whine anymore just metal to metal when turning left or right and want to lock up the rear tires. My friend said he heard it in the front pop but I've always hear it in the rear.looked under the car saw the rare diff was pretty soaked like it was leaking...

So now I have my car parked and was wondering t case or rear diff? The dealer won't cover it I'm assuming since I'm tuned and have coils and it's low enough.. only have had the the car 10months bought it new what are my chances of the dealer covering this ?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Need to figure out if it's the race or the rear diff. Then go from there. Dealer should cover it, lowering the car and. Tune shouldn't blow up a diff.

However, launching the **** out of it with a twin disc is another story...
Old Sep 11, 2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Need to figure out if it's the race or the rear diff. Then go from there. Dealer should cover it, lowering the car and. Tune shouldn't blow up a diff.

However, launching the **** out of it with a twin disc is another story...
okay what do you mean by race? I won't admit to them launching on a twin disk they've known my clutch issues tho before launching the car on a regular clutch but without proof they can't deny my warranty claim
Old Sep 11, 2016, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You have an upgraded clutch, increased power output and are using a fuel other than the originally intended fuel. Your warranty is dead. Figure out which part of your car is broken and get ready to pay for it
Old Sep 11, 2016, 04:30 PM

Okay but that won't stop them from checking it and letting me know what's wrong with it and then letting me know what I have to pay for
Old Sep 11, 2016, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxevo
You have an upgraded clutch, increased power output and are using a fuel other than the originally intended fuel. Your warranty is dead. Figure out which part of your car is broken and get ready to pay for it
I have to agree that a warranty claim would be very remote. I'd start looking at the classifieds here for powertrain parts.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It never hurts to try, especially if your dealer is mod friendly. I do have to agree though that there is a very slim chance they will cover it. They'll be happy to tell you what's wrong and what it'll take to fix it. Also, if it's not covered they could charge you for looking at it.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:03 AM

Well hopefully they said my car isn't flagged yet or anything so they're gonna look at it they know what's done to my car I worked there. Also found out if I do have to buy a rear diff that I can install and evo 8 rear diff but need a kit so will prolly end in that route with an aftermarket one and if it's the t case will prolly get it rebuilt stage 2 just planning ahead tho hopefully something less
Old Sep 12, 2016, 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

If the car is making weird noises only when turning or taking off from a stop, I would say the rear diff (specifically the differential mechanism, not the ring and pinion) is getting ready to fall apart. For the $130 diag fee at the dealer, VS $1500 to put a ct9a rear diff in it or a tcase rebuild, I would try to get it warrantied. The rear differential mechanism is a common failure point in the X if you're launching it a lot. Best option if the dealer won't warranty it would be to go with a CT9A rear diff. TRE sells the whole setup, just have to call him to inquire.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:08 PM

If the car is making weird noises only when turning or taking off from a stop, I would say the rear diff (specifically the differential mechanism, not the ring and pinion) is getting ready to fall apart. For the $130 diag fee at the dealer, VS $1500 to put a ct9a rear diff in it or a tcase rebuild, I would try to get it warrantied. The rear differential mechanism is a common failure point in the X if you're launching it a lot. Best option if the dealer won't warranty it would be to go with a CT9A rear diff. TRE sells the whole setup, just have to call him to inquire.
I'm gonna try like I said the dealer supposedly voided my warranty but when I called a friend to check it out he said my car hasn't not been flagged or nothing in the system says my warranty is voided or has been flagged through corporate which is b.s cause they charged me $66 to look at it when I first heard these noises but then went away and came back after a month. So yeah I'm gonna try my best if I have to pay after fighting it then so be it.. but how do I get in contact with TRE... And yes it's only been while turning and taking off once driving straight it makes no noises unless I'm gonna make a left or right turn and it's a very loud popping noise metal to metal
Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Call or email Jon;

http://teamrip.com/
Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Email Jon @ Teamrip dot com. I'd say you have about a 5% chance of him answering the phone at any given time since he's usually working on somebody's gearset.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

But if you get him on the phone he'll talk to you for over an hour...LOL
Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:37 AM

But if you get him on the phone he'll talk to you for over an hour...LOL
So tomorrow I have to get it to the dealer my car won't make it up a flat bed is it possible I can damage the t case driving it there and back ?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Would be hard to hurt the tcase seeing as how its probably your rear diff that is going out..

Quick Reply: Rear diff ?