Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine bay smoke?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine bay smoke?

I've got some puffs of smoke from the engine bay if I rev it up a little at idle. Not pouring out but a noticeable amount, seems to be oil. Coming from my exhaust manifold/turbo area, no oil visibly leaking and no spots on the ground. I've tightened up all exhaust parts and know it's not an exhaust leak. Where could I be burning oil that leaves some puffs of smoke? I just replaced my oil drain and valve cover gasket, so those aren't the issue. Only thing else I noticed is the rubber coating on my oil feed is melted off exposing the stainless steel line underneath, but I don't think that's the issue because if it was my oil feed line leaking I would be spilling oil everywhere due to the pressure. What are your thoughts? Anyone have a similar issue?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
If yours sure it isn't valve cover related it could be the feed line. I think there is a tsb to replace it. See leaking feed lines at Hyundai a lot.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
If yours sure it isn't valve cover related it could be the feed line. I think there is a tsb to replace it. See leaking feed lines at Hyundai a lot.
Pretty sure it isn't valve cover. Also not on stock turbo so it's an aftermarket line. Hoping it's something minor
Old Mar 7, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

best way would be to clean it all up then add dye to the oil and use yello glasses with a uv lamp.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:23 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Have you recently spilled oil anywhere? Touched any of the hot parts with dirty hands?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Have you recently spilled oil anywhere? Touched any of the hot parts with dirty hands?
Just wiped everything down with a wet cloth recently, so any dirt from my hands has hopefully been cleaned off. Could possibley have spilled some oil down onto the transmission or transfer case, but the manifold and turbo are clean. I just can't figure out why there is only smoke if I rev it, but at idle there's not.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:11 PM
kaj

You can't see anything when you stand over the engine and rev it? So it's only under load?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
You can't see anything when you stand over the engine and rev it? So it's only under load?
No I meant I can't see an signs of leaking oil. I only see the smoke when reving it at idle, puff comes up as the revs fall. Don't notice it while driving but that may be because it's being blown away too fast for me to see it.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 02:34 PM
kaj

When you are looking at the engine, and you rev it, why aren't you able to track the smoke?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you take a picture of that area not when its smoking but just as it sits there i wanna see your setup,
it is crucial to know because of the peices that are back there you might blow up your car. i had the same issue and found out my problem and i fixed it.
where the exhaust menifold is at where the turbo lies take that pic and post it so we can see
Old Mar 7, 2017, 04:55 PM
kaj

Are they any related smells?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

I wana see what "puffs of smoke" on a evo look like
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:26 AM

I can't get pictures and videos up later, but I did find the leak. Took the understray off again and the oil has now begun to noticeably leak. Can quite tell where it's coming from as it dripped and has been flung around everywhere. I'm going to clean it up and see if I can trace the source.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
put a rag on your muffler and cover it up so that the smoke goes back and then the leak will be more noticable and you can get to your answer alot easier
Old Mar 8, 2017, 02:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by godlikelol
put a rag on your muffler and cover it up so that the smoke goes back and then the leak will be more noticable and you can get to your answer alot easier
Sounds like it's an oil leak, not an exhaust leak.

Quick Reply: Engine bay smoke?