Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

8 AFR on Boost

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by MokuX
Sorry for the late update fellas , New Jersey weather decided to rain for 2 days straight , ill try everything on Sunday, looks like theres no rain !
@black_out I'll start from PCV which is easier to do , test and then proceed to the rest, just to confirm you mean the PCV valve thats on the bottom left of the valve cover correct ? For the rings im guessing you mean piston rings ? As for the turbo i dont think i'll rebuild it , probably just upgrade to a better one. Apologies if im understanding something wrong. Im totally new to this and all work im trying to do by my self!
No need to be sorry for learning new things. We all had to start somewhere and alot of us didn't have forums back in the day for help. Rain blows and no problem just check in when you can.
Old May 9, 2022, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone , just a quick update. After cleaning PCV valve and replacing some of those old lines. I removed the PCV valve and put some pressure to it and it was letting some air out , just a tiny bit , suction was fully open. I did order another OEM part just to make sure that's not the issue. It seems now that on WOT im sitting on 9.5 afr but still 22 boost. I kept the turbo under load and it didnt seem to drop much. 3rd gear pull was 22psi tapering to 21. My mechanic told me he will get the leakdown tools for my car and start from 0. Once he has the tools , ill have to remove the manifold and turbo to inspect for cracks. I believe i should have everything done by the end of the week. If someone wants to take a look at the tune let me know and ill be uploading it.
Old May 9, 2022, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

My question to you is why are you making pulls on a base tune? Has you tuner said it is ok to do so with the current tune your on? If your tuner says to ok fine you need data to figure this out but if he doesn't then your playing Russian rulet. You wash those cylinders your going to be in a world of hurt. I did at idle and ate my bearings, turbo, crank and it cost me a new engine.
Old May 9, 2022, 05:43 PM

I think i did mention it before, im not doing pulls on the base map, i got a new revision flashed that my tuner sent me
Old May 9, 2022, 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

I think i did mention it before, im not doing pulls on the base map, i got a new revision flashed that my tuner sent me
I remember reading that. I am confused when you say base map being a base map is usually no boost it's just a drive around get you around thing to check your afrs and to make sure everything is good to go before you start boosting. That is why I'm having a hard time with all this LOL.

When my tuner sends me a base map I usually put it in the car just drive around till he's okay with it and then he'll tell me to go ahead and make pulls.

With that said if you're in the 8's and 9's for your AFR that would make sense that he isn't addressing polls at this time and your AFR is way rich to keep your motor from blowing up. I could be wrong I don't know I'm not part of the tuning group that's tuning your car so I am just guessing at this point
Old May 10, 2022, 04:06 AM

My apologies , i might have worded it really wrong. But yes after the basemap to get get me home and fix my leaks , he did send me a revision to flash and start doing pulls to send him logs. Would you mind taking a look at the tune ? He might have forgotten to change something. It's on tephra v3.

Edit#1 let me know if you need both tune and definitions
Old May 10, 2022, 05:58 AM
EvoM Guru

My apologies , i might have worded it really wrong. But yes after the basemap to get get me home and fix my leaks , he did send me a revision to flash and start doing pulls to send him logs. Would you mind taking a look at the tune ? He might have forgotten to change something. It's on tephra v3.

Edit#1 let me know if you need both tune and definitions
Lol it's cool man as long as he said it's all good . I do not use open source anymore or I would. I don't think I even have it on my laptop anymore.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Sorry for the late update fellas , New Jersey weather decided to rain for 2 days straight , ill try everything on Sunday, looks like theres no rain !
@black_out I'll start from PCV which is easier to do , test and then proceed to the rest, just to confirm you mean the PCV valve thats on the bottom left of the valve cover correct ? For the rings im guessing you mean piston rings ? As for the turbo i dont think i'll rebuild it , probably just upgrade to a better one. Apologies if im understanding something wrong. Im totally new to this and all work im trying to do by my self!
Yea pull out the PCV and check it out. Make sure there is movement to verify correct operation. To test at a higher pressure on the Evo X place the tester after the turbo so you dont have to worry about the seals pushing oil. I usually place it on the uicp pipe leading into the intercooler and open the oil cap. 20-30 psi like this is fine.
Old May 21, 2022, 06:44 AM

Hello everyone , apologies for not updating all this time.

Went to Ivey and got Compression and Leakdown test

Cyl1 = 155 Cyl2 = 160 Cyl3 = 160 Cyl4= 160
Cyl1 = 3% Cyl2 = 2% Cyl3 = 4% Cyl4= 4%

He did a boost leak , found two small leaks replaced 2 clamps
Performed smoke test and there was no leaks in the boost system or intake manifold / vacuum system.

And no change , absolutely no change. I notified my tuner and sent him two logs, numbers look alright but we have a leak that is causing the same issue.
Old May 21, 2022, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Next thing change out O2 sensor and see if that changes anything. Plus it's good to have a spare laying around when it does go bad
Old May 21, 2022, 08:03 AM

Would the o2 sensor cause boost to be 22psi not hit 26psi ? or affect it in such a way it would cause this issue ?
Old May 21, 2022, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Would the o2 sensor cause boost to be 22psi not hit 26psi ? or affect it in such a way it would cause this issue ?
Your wastegate controls how much boost you run in your car. The o2 sensor would contribute to the aft being so rich. I just delt with this in my stealth except it was so far gone it would read all kinda funky stuff. I replaced it and now it reads somewhat right except I am 10.0 at wot instead of 11.0 on pump gas.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Few questions

#1: is the car on pump gas or E85? equally important, is your gauge setup for gas or E85 scale?
#2: What is your wgdc hitting in your logs? is it hitting what you map is tuned for?
#3: boost error correction....is it on? is it aggressive?

It seems like you have gone far and wide to eliminate the idea of a vacuum leak so I suspect this is within the tune , OR you may have switched your gauge to e85 scale because 14.7 at idle for example would be 9.8 on e85 scale. And more like 7.8-8 at WOT
Old Sep 23, 2022, 08:50 AM

Hello everyone , I know it took some time to answer but finally everything is sorted out.
The whole issue was the tune, there was nothing wrong with my car. I changed so many parts i pretty much have a new build.
So I sent the "bad" tune to Chet Rickerman for a Tune Evaluation which he was kind enough to not charge me for it. He did mention that yes this tune is making your car run filthy rich. So I decided to go with Chet and we just finished tuning.
It felt like I was driving a heavy Prius before. I cant even describe how good the car feels , pulls hard , numbers are healthy.
Thank you everyone for your help !