Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Red fluid on transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red fluid on transfer case

So I bought a 2010 evo x MR just over a month ago. There is red fluid the seems to be coming fromnthe transfer case. The transmission is brand new rebuilt/built from Jack's trans. Every transmission wise is clean enough to eat on. Only has fluid on transfer case. What could be leaking? Pretty sure the transfer case doesn't have red fluid, but the ayc or acd whichever it's technically calls does. It seems to be only on the bottom hard to tell
Old Oct 21, 2022, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 447 Likes on 382 Posts
yeah thats ATF for ACD. sometimes the o rings break or dont seat right when installed, especially by first timers. I put a bit of grey sealant on the o-rings now and for once I dont have leaks anywhere at all. check the banjo bolt for the fluid line also, maybe needs to be tightened
Old Oct 21, 2022, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah thats ATF for ACD. sometimes the o rings break or dont seat right when installed, especially by first timers. I put a bit of grey sealant on the o-rings now and for once I dont have leaks anywhere at all. check the banjo bolt for the fluid line also, maybe needs to be tightened

I'll check the banjo, as for the o rings does that require removal of tcase? Id assume yes. And as longnas i keep the resivour full nothing should be harmed? I'm more familiar with the 8 platform.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jestersplay
I'll check the banjo, as for the o rings does that require removal of tcase? Id assume yes. And as longnas i keep the resivour full nothing should be harmed? I'm more familiar with the 8 platform.
yeah check the banjo and the bleeder first. I cant remember which internal seal is for the ATF but i think its possible its mixing with the gear oil and leaking thru the gear oil orings since its thinner than the gear oil.
On my IX I cant install the TC in one piece so I split it up. its a lot of work either way. ACD reservoir needs to be drained and refilled properly
Old Oct 21, 2022, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah check the banjo and the bleeder first. I cant remember which internal seal is for the ATF but i think its possible its mixing with the gear oil and leaking thru the gear oil orings since its thinner than the gear oil.
On my IX I cant install the TC in one piece so I split it up. its a lot of work either way. ACD reservoir needs to be drained and refilled properly
Ok thanks for the info. I'll check bleeder and banjo before even attempting the seals. Again im new to the X but not new to evos in general. I hope the ATF isn't mixing with/in the tcase lol
Old Oct 21, 2022, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah keep everything super clean & dry so its easy to trace leaks and stuff. I even removed all the black undercoating . GL