Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mean TT
You make a good point.

The problme with all of the CVTs and DSGs or SMT is that they can not handle one of a turbo motor's strentghs torque). I am unaware of any transmission with the exception of Ferrari and the like that can hande much, the last generation M3 with 267 lb-ft was the lone exception. Either way, I think Mitsu could redeem themselves by offering a lower cost higher hp version with a 5 speed, maybe even a 6 speed. The weight will never go away, which means that we better hope the motor can withstand 450 hp the way the 4g63 could.

Paddle shifts are only so cool.
True. At the moment the SST in the Evo is the only mass produced dual-clutch tranny that can hold this kind of power (Bugatti Veyron has a similar system but uses unobtanium in it's components). The new GTR, when it's released will have a similar tranny, coping with much more power.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made this same post in the mitsu rep thread, in hopes of getting a reply from someone at Mitsubishi to hear their response. I feel it's relevant enough to repost here, in this thread... so here goes. I think that the most prevelant question is why there was not more power given to offset the added weight. The main issue with the car is the fact that it's not just slower in a straight line, but that it's significantly slower in a straight line. The car does handle better thanks to the stiffer chassis and more advanced AWD system, but the handling improvements aren't enough to even net a faster track time like mitsu has claimed. All the Best Motoring Tests speak louder than words ever could. The car is slower around the track than the EVO 9 and both the new AND old STi. It's sad, it really is. Mitsu has overlooked one major detail: even though they are trying to appeal to a higher end market with the X, enthusiasts aren't the only ones who care about horsepower. I mean, people buy cars for specific reasons. For example, the new 3 series is faster than an audi a4, but it doesn't stop people from buying a4's in record numbers. People don't buy an a4 for the performance though, they buy it because it's an all around nice car. People buy EVO's for a different reason; the same reason they buy corvettes... PERFORMANCE. Period, end of story. It was a great idea to invest some money and give the car a bit more refinement, and improve the build quality, and I applaud Mitsubishi for doing this. However, it still needs to be an EVO. No matter how much nicer it is than the previous model, at the end of the day it still needs to do 0-60 in the 4.5 second range. Take that away and you've got a car that doesn't appeal to the old OR new target market. I myself am in a perdicament on this one, as I've already placed a non-refundable deposit of 1000.00 to preorder one, and I'm now having serious second thoughts. I am so saddened by this, I really am. I question if I am still going to buy the car, or if I feel like arguing with the sales manager about getting my deposit back. I'm so disappointed, words cannot even express how unhappy I am. Mitsu, what have you done?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 6, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tons0torque
straight line performance is where my heart lies and this car just isn't prepared to preform like it should at it's current weight.

Am I being to harsh.......

God , give this car 300hp AT LEAST!

u want striaght line performance get an LSX v8
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
a car that doesn't appeal to the old OR new target market ... Mitsu, what have you done?
imo, it's simple: Mitsu has made a car for their new target market, while also hoping that some of their old target market can be blinded by semi-luxo features and marketing fluff and thereby overlooking the new car's performance short-comings, while convincing still others who notice the shortcomings are big enough fanboys that they will justify the X by saying that mods will make it fast.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

I made this same post in the mitsu rep thread, in hopes of getting a reply from someone at Mitsubishi to hear their response. I feel it's relevant enough to repost here, in this thread... so here goes. I think that the most prevelant question is why there was not more power given to offset the added weight. The main issue with the car is the fact that it's not just slower in a straight line, but that it's significantly slower in a straight line. The car does handle better thanks to the stiffer chassis and more advanced AWD system, but the handling improvements aren't enough to even net a faster track time like mitsu has claimed. All the Best Motoring Tests speak louder than words ever could. The car is slower around the track than the EVO 9 and both the new AND old STi. It's sad, it really is. Mitsu has overlooked one major detail: even though they are trying to appeal to a higher end market with the X, enthusiasts aren't the only ones who care about horsepower. I mean, people buy cars for specific reasons. For example, the new 3 series is faster than an audi a4, but it doesn't stop people from buying a4's in record numbers. People don't buy an a4 for the performance though, they buy it because it's an all around nice car. People buy EVO's for a different reason; the same reason they buy corvettes... PERFORMANCE. Period, end of story. It was a great idea to invest some money and give the car a bit more refinement, and improve the build quality, and I applaud Mitsubishi for doing this. However, it still needs to be an EVO. No matter how much nicer it is than the previous model, at the end of the day it still needs to do 0-60 in the 4.5 second range. Take that away and you've got a car that doesn't appeal to the old OR new target market. I myself am in a perdicament on this one, as I've already placed a non-refundable deposit of 1000.00 to preorder one, and I'm now having serious second thoughts. I am so saddened by this, I really am. I question if I am still going to buy the car, or if I feel like arguing with the sales manager about getting my deposit back. I'm so disappointed, words cannot even express how unhappy I am. Mitsu, what have you done?
Maybe you should wait and drive it first. Stop letting these bench #'s make the decision for you.
Even if the X IS slower then the outgoing model, it's still by any definition, a fast car.
Mitsu. received a great deal of interest in the Evo VIII when it was released on our shores but lost a tonne of potential buyers because it looked like a 16yr' olds wet dream. It was their primary effort to offset this issue buy making the car more refined, both aesthetically and from a performance standpoint. Did they go too far? Or did they not go far enough? Like I said; wait to drive it for yourself before you decide. You might be pleasantly surprised or you may want to drive it off a cliff. But make the decision on your own.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

The evo was never meant to be produced in high numbers, it was a low volume seller for people who wanted a rally car that was street legal. Now mitsu is in financial trouble so they take their best car ***** it out and hope it sells like hot cakes.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Speaking of sales US Mitsu's numbers were down again for November. Now their sales are up only 13% over last year's which was a VERY dismal year. Selling 130,000 cars annually will sink them in the US. Let's hope the X does attract some new buyers even though it's slow.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Well...it's because of their new lineup of cool-but-underpowered lancers. It's pretty much the same story for in every review: "The (Evo X/GTS) is really nice! Really cool! Handles well! But... slower than it should be!"
In a year or two it will get better, as they introduce the turbocharged, AWD (Ralliart? GSX?), and put more power in the Evo. I have a feeling Dr. Evo isn't quite done massaging the 4B11T and slick-shifting transmission yet...

I mean, look what happened to the USDM-only STI: It had a horrible open-deck block, cast pistons, tiny turbo, ... but people still make decent power out of them (albeit at a premium, but that's not the end of the world).
Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:55 PM

ppl did not the IX then when ppl started getting 300whp with very minor mods then it was the car that everyone wanted. It will be the same with the X. Tuner xxx got one to make idk 330whp then everone will trade in their VIII & IX for the X. The sst that bestmotoring tested ran a 13.6 thats pretty good for a underpowerd car. I can go on all day but the simple fact is most of us will mod our cars anyway and you know holds the power back on all of thier cars ( the 4g63 should have been over 300hp a longe time ago).

so
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:01 PM

i thinnk mitsubishi will lose a lot of money with this car...i seen it at the sf auto show.. i was just disappointed....
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:03 PM

ohh yah and the car got a aluminum block..so no more boasting high or kaboom...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:12 PM

ohh yah and the car got a aluminum block..so no more boasting high or kaboom...
lmao, so when did an aluminum block determine how much "boasting" you can do. I'll assume you meant boosting. Seriously if you have any serious / real data to prove this or not then dont talk. im tired of people whining about a car they havent even driven. And just to add there's plenty of "high boasting!" aluminum block motors out there.

All im thankful for, is no more f'n balance shfts thank god.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyblonco
The evo was never meant to be produced in high numbers, it was a low volume seller for people who wanted a rally car that was street legal. Now mitsu is in financial trouble so they take their best car ***** it out and hope it sells like hot cakes.
billy: that's probably as true a statement as your going to find on this website.
couldn't have said it better myself...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

yeah man what happened, why are you doubting yourself?

All of my posts say to the haters/complainers that until its is seen, felt and and driven in person all the reviews, track videos, spec sheets do not matter as far as i am concerned.

Aside for that, here are a few things to think about:

1. 0-60 times: Ok so it might be 0.4-0.8 seconds slower than the IX. If thats a reason to write it off, please people, what will that split second do for most of you, will it earn you a victory on track and a Million Dollar purse, will is save your life? Not likely

2. Tunability: If the car will respond well to tuning, who gives a flying shiajt about the 0-60 time from factory, perhaps they under-tuned it, or perhaps the car is underrated and Mitsu will tweak it just in time for the car to hit US Dealers. If not, then friggin get it tuned, thats what most people here do. Again this is provided that this engine can take more heat; I myself am willing to give it the chance

3. Suspension/AWD/Options: Well, no doubt all of these will be better on X, starting with stiffer suspenion, S-AWC, and many options. Its just a more refined all around car.

I just dont get what all the crying and b*(chin is about

Last edited by pltek; Dec 7, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:59 AM

Well said....

yeah man what happened, why are you doubting yourself?

All of my posts say to the haters/complainers that until its is seen, felt and and driven in person all the reviews, track videos, spec sheets do not matter as far as i am concerned.

Aside for that, here are a few things to think about:

1. 0-60 times: Ok so it might be 0.4-0.8 seconds slower than the IX. If thats a reason to write it off, please people, what will that split second for most of you, will it earn you a victory on track and a Million Dollar purse, will is save your life? Not likely

2. Tunability: If the car will respond well to tuning, who gives a flying shiajt about the 0-60 time from factory, perhaps they under-tuned it, or perhaps the car is underrated and Mitsu will tweak it just in time for the car to hit US Dealers. If not, then friggin get it tuned, thats what most people here do. Again this is provided that this engine can take more heat; I myself am willing to give it the chance

3. Suspension/AWD/Options: Well, no doubt all of these will be better on X, starting with stiffer suspenion, S-AWC, and many options. Its just a more refined all around car.

I just dont get what all the crying and b*(chin is about

Quick Reply: WOW what a disappointment!!!!