Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
+1,000,000 on the marketing/PR department screwing things up over the past 2-3 years. I used to work for Mitsu's ad agency back in 2002-2004 when the brand was having it's most successful sales years. Everyone remembers the advertising with the cool music. It sold cars (over 300,000 cars a year) and it gave the brand an identity as a young-at-heart, fun, emotional brand.

Then the Japanese took over the US operations in late 2003 and it's pretty much been all downhill from there. They also hired Finbarr Oneill as CEO (he worked previously as CEO at Hyundai). Guess where Mitsu got the idea for a 10/100K warranty? When all of those things happened I quit my job because I saw the writing on the wall and knew the company was going into some very rough times.

Whoever the marketing team was that came up with the 0-0-0 plan are idiots and should never work in the industry again.

The idea to give people cars, let them roll in 1000's of negative equity on depreciating car loans, and not paying it for an entire year is complete lunacy.

At one time, they had the highest reposession rate in the car industry. Some banks would not even finance a mitsu.

Talk about ruining a brand image. That's what killed Mitsu. And that's why I'm selling Audi's right now.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:12 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jperryrocks
Whoever the marketing team was that came up with the 0-0-0 plan are idiots and should never work in the industry again.

The idea to give people cars, let them roll in 1000's of negative equity on depreciating car loans, and not paying it for an entire year is complete lunacy.

At one time, they had the highest reposession rate in the car industry. Some banks would not even finance a mitsu.

Talk about ruining a brand image. That's what killed Mitsu. And that's why I'm selling Audi's right now.
I was around when that 0-0-0 program first launched. It wasn't the marketing department that made that decision. It was the finance and sales departments that pushed for that program and got approval. My team HEAVILY recommended against it because of how it would ruin the brand. They didn't listen and look where it got them
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

The sad fact is that KIA and hyundai have been eating MItsus lunch for the past 5 years. I remember when people would laugh at the mention of the words KIA or hyundai but now peopel are choosing those brands and feeling proud that their cars are even getting good reviews form auto mags..LOL Mention mitsu now and you get no response not even a laugh... sad!

I believe that most of these KIA and hyundi buyers are people that mitsubishi would have sold a car to long ago. KIA and hyundi are now making affordable cars with modern features that look ok. and they are marketing hard to the right folks even though they have nothing in their line up nearly as cool as the 1999 eclipse GSX or EVO9... i used to drive a POS 2003 lancer ES and the dealership used to go to suddenly and with out warning switched to KIA, when I asked, the owner told me there just aint no money in mitsu cars anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:52 AM

The Evo was never intended to be a straight line car. It's made to go where you point the steering wheel while moving at high speeds on tight and twisty dirt roads, paved roads, gravel roads, wet roads, and icy roads.

If you want a tuneable car that goes fast in a straight line and that's it......

Buy a Mustang GT

Last edited by TruBluIX; Jan 4, 2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:31 AM
Account Disabled

^Amen.

Evo is the perfect track car IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

^not the new one. hahahaha
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TruBluIX
The Evo was never intended to be a straight line car. It's made to go where you point the steering wheel while moving at high speeds on tight and twisty dirt roads, paved roads, gravel roads, wet roads, and icy roads.

If you want a tuneable car that goes fast in a straight line and that's it......

Buy a Mustang GT
Well, it still is a pretty damn fast car in a straight line too...well, at least the IX
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO+IX+MR+SE
ohh yah and the car got a aluminum block..so no more boasting high or kaboom...
shutup.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

we'll see what happens in a week. im getting my first shipment soon
Old Jan 8, 2008, 06:09 PM

I hope X is a X!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have been told norco sells about 10 used a weekend is this true. this statement was by a sales men?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shake
I hope X is a X!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have been told norco sells about 10 used a weekend is this true. this statement was by a sales men?

Never believe anything a dealer tells you. Dealers are full of crap.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:47 PM

From the what I've read. The head on this car is the jewel. The block is aluminum....
So what, how many 600+ hp Evo VIIIs and IXs running around. Not many in comparison with daily drivers.

I'm gonna bet the block can take 600+ all day long. I'm confident in the R&D that went into the car for durability.

I've read a few commentaries that describe the feeling as a larger displacement V6
The power is consistant and is never abrupt. The turbo acts more as an assist than the actual power adder.

It's the way the rest of the car was designed that just doesn't work well with me.
A simple interior with a purposeful lay out is perfect if your into driving the car.

I like the fact that the could have used direct injection like the VW GTi but didn't from a tuning standpoint.

Turbo placement is crucial! Why would you mount a hard driven turbo between the firewall and the block.

And last but not least, Why didn't we have the AYC designed into the IX for USDM
evos?

I respect the X for what it is, but it's not what an VIII or IX is. I don't like the new STi either for that matter.

I look forward to seeing the new X come out.
I hope to be proven wrong about my previous comments on the X.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruBluIX
From the what I've read. The head on this car is the jewel. The block is aluminum....
So what, how many 600+ hp Evo VIIIs and IXs running around. Not many in comparison with daily drivers.

I'm gonna bet the block can take 600+ all day long. I'm confident in the R&D that went into the car for durability.

I've read a few commentaries that describe the feeling as a larger displacement V6
The power is consistant and is never abrupt. The turbo acts more as an assist than the actual power adder.

It's the way the rest of the car was designed that just doesn't work well with me.
A simple interior with a purposeful lay out is perfect if your into driving the car.

I like the fact that the could have used direct injection like the VW GTi but didn't from a tuning standpoint.

Turbo placement is crucial! Why would you mount a hard driven turbo between the firewall and the block.

And last but not least, Why didn't we have the AYC designed into the IX for USDM
evos?

I respect the X for what it is, but it's not what an VIII or IX is. I don't like the new STi either for that matter.

I look forward to seeing the new X come out.
I hope to be proven wrong about my previous comments on the X.
THE 4G63 was over engineered, thats why it was so durable. I imagine that if anything this motor will be weaker when it comes to increasing power. But then again if efficiency is increased then maybe we can make the same amount of power through newer tuning techniques.

Best bet is to wait to make assumptions until after the car is released and people mod them

-Steve