Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pltek
keep crying and whining all the haters, maybe by the time X hits the dealer lots, all of the numbers including price, weight, and speed will be more palatable.

OK, all repeat after me, " X sucks, X is too slow, X is ugly, X is too heavy, X is too expensive, I will never buy the X."
I think most people are simply saying the X is far too slow and they are expressing their disappointment. Its heavier... ok fine. Why is it so woefully underpowered?

Is it underpowered because they are worried about torque delivery through their new automatic?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:15 PM

Big weight + Big power = Broken parts......

I don't think they have confidence yet in the drive train at these weights.

What a freakin shame....
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tons0torque
Big weight + Big power = Broken parts......

I don't think they have confidence yet in the drive train at these weights.

What a freakin shame....
I think a look at (yes I said it) the domestics would prove you wrong. They are coming out with the 4000 pounds G8 with 390 lb-ft they have the SRT-8 models including the 4400+pound Jeep, just to name a few.

I do agree that these "improved" transmissions might be to blame though. I recently read an article about the new R32 that they were trying to stuff a 300 hp 3.6 liter into, only to discover that they had to redesign the transmission which became too big to fit into the chassis.

However at the risk of changing topics, it does beg the question why the STI is performing worse than its predecessor. Who asked for longer gearing at the expense of acceleration? I have always been a supporter of the EVO, STI and any performance car that the market will bear. However, I think in some ways the new EVO and TERRIBLY ugly STI have gone from "exceptional" to "good" cars. I would rather be driving around in an equally priced and slightly less ugly 135 than an STI, and with a few tweaks, I could be pushing 400 hp. Why the STI was given a laughable increase of 5 hp is a mystery to me.

I hope that the 1 redeeming quality of this vehicle is that there will be special versions that are lighter and/or more powerful.

It will be interesting to see what the next Rx-7, and Supra will bring to the party.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think with the X they want to bring in the market a more streetable car for everyone. And as far as i can see they did.
But the X lost performance to gain comfort. Most of the guys are here ,was begging these changes. Nobody remeber? I would have little less hp but give me a navigation or heated seats or cruis controll etc.....
Now they got it.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

not to mention the new gtr... developed on the same formula as the evo 1-9 and the sti (1-9)... run rings around cars more than twice the price...
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

the same thing happened when nissan went from the twin turbo 300zx to the 350z....the car got slower but i'm sure they sold a lot more
Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kilgoja
the same thing happened when nissan went from the twin turbo 300zx to the 350z....the car got slower but i'm sure they sold a lot more
I'm pretty sure the 350z is quicker than the 300zx, and better in all aspects of performance.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
Amen. Money is the only way to truly make a statement.

I don't expect any major changes like weight reduction or power increase, but something as simple as a reflash or a part change can make a noticable difference. We'll see what happens when people start buying them and posting here.

Cabo
Agreed. all it takes is a flash.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
And the 350z is cheaper than the previous 300zx
Old Dec 3, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tons0torque
I think Mitsubishi forgot why evo owners buy evo's....... They are probably looking at a platform that appeals more to the earl generation of evo owners that are now older. These owners, much like myself are 30 somethings, looking for something a little more comfortable than the IX. Ultimately, I think they are missing their target. Sure the car will sell, but I don't think it's what any of us were expecting.
Its not a question of why "evo owners buy evos", but "what makes an evolution an evolution." They obviously werent thinking of our specific demographic - the enthusiast crowd - when they started to develop the SST. Its not like they said to themselves, "I know how we'll satisfy the enthusiasts, we'll take away the 6-speed, delete the clutch pedal from the MR, and add navigation...thats exactly what they want!" No, its pretty apparent that the current evo-buying demographic is an afterthought. They were going in a completely different direction with this car and its obvious that it is not marketed towards the majority of the demographic that is reading this post. They went the luxury/performance route in hopes of gaining market share - not what the evolution has ever represented and I really hope MMC learns a lesson. 'Cause this just sucks.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your like an old man and never happy. You complain about something, so you get the other and that still doesn't please you.
People started complaining about the looks, so mitsubishi listened to you guys and put a valiant effert into making this car look good, and they did one good job of it! Now everyone complains of the power.
You cant have best of both worlds and still be cheap, I never heard of people saying make it look good, keep the power but keep the price the same. You only heard of compaints to the looks, so mitsu figured it was ok to add to the cost to get this looks upgrade.
people these days, they want to talk forever and have unlimited minutes on their cell phones but only want chump change as the bill.
people want everything NOW NOW NOW and dont want to work for it
people think they are all that matters, everyone else are unimportant.
and people want a super powerful evo to match performance of a Vette
but and want looks like a bmw or porsche. but keep the price in the YARIS range.
FREAKING GROW UP AND GET SERIOUS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu is going after a more mature buyers market with the new X. The old Evos are very crude cars. There's a lot bigger market segment out there to be had who appreciates day to day driving as much as track numbers.

I use to sell Mitsu for 3 years, and now I'm over @ Audi for almost the same time. I recently got back into an Evo after several years and I thought to myself, wow.....this Evo feels like Junk. Not everybody who buys a car is a 22 year old gear-head kid. People are unrealistic about the new EVO. They want a car that does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and they don't give a damn about anything else. The new EVO is a real alternative to the BMW, Audi, and higher end Euro brands.

American brands are cheap speed. You can talk about Corvettes and Mustangs all day long that do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds....blah, blah, blah.

Mistu is back to recovery and they're going in the right direction. Your going to lose a lot of punk kids with the new EVO X, but Mitsu will gain just as many more new buyers.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

You make it sound as if BMW buyers don't care about performance. Guess what the 335i and 135i will do to the EVO X in a strait line. If Mitsu wants to grab that market they need to compete.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

You can always compare certain cars to swing an argument to your advantage. I sell Audi's everyday and we're having record sales in the states and world-wide.

Sure the new 300hp 3 series is faster than an A4 0-60. But that doesn't stop people from buying Audis in record numbers. It's the refinement, quailty, stying, overall value, and day to day driving traits that swing most buyers.

I wouldn't call 0-60 in 5.3 seconds bad for the new EVO X. A rear wheel drive BMW is always going to be faster, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples. But I'll be happy to give up a 1/2 second to have the stability of AWD.

Last edited by jperryrocks; Dec 3, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you care about straight line speed, go buy an LS1 F-Body or 5.0 Mustang. Your money will go a lot farther in your quest for speed.

Quick Reply: WOW what a disappointment!!!!