Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
If you care about straight line speed, go buy an LS1 F-Body or 5.0 Mustang. Your money will go a lot farther in your quest for speed.
Yeah I care about its performance in the straits. Tracks have straits you know. Go watch the track battle video and see what happens in the straits to the X.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 08:53 AM

You can only have so much fun going around fast in turns and if your car is a DD what does it matter.

I would really miss the acceleration fun that was shown in the EVO VIII and IX.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are all jumping to conclusions a little soon. I have close friend in the automotive world that have driven this car, including ones that are big fans of the previous generation. None have noted it being slow. There is a slight difference stock to stock in straight line performance. Around a track, it is constantly faster. It is a far better chassis, and to say it has no room for improvement relative to the current one is an unfounded assumption. One that you will have to wait to see. From what I have been told by inside sources, tis is not the case. I believe it will take the next year to really get an idea of the potential for this car and we need to reserve such harsh judgments until at least the car is out if not a little while later.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
I think you are all jumping to conclusions a little soon. I have close friend in the automotive world that have driven this car, including ones that are big fans of the previous generation. None have noted it being slow. There is a slight difference stock to stock in straight line performance. Around a track, it is constantly faster. It is a far better chassis, and to say it has no room for improvement relative to the current one is an unfounded assumption. One that you will have to wait to see. From what I have been told by inside sources, tis is not the case. I believe it will take the next year to really get an idea of the potential for this car and we need to reserve such harsh judgments until at least the car is out if not a little while later.
But it's different!!!

I agree, though. We have absolutely no idea what the mod potential is on this car. For all we know, it could be severely detuned for what the engine is capable of, and a couple basic mods + tune could yield fantastic results.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

edit
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
Account Disabled

eh.. i realised in 5 years when i finish paying off my evo 9 i'll probably consider the new generation of evo's because i'll be older, almost 30 by then, and will need something with navi, safety, for the lil ones coming later on in life, and more comfort. it'll still be quick, just not fast... but that's why i'll still have the evo9 garaged as my fun car.. and switch to the 10, or the 11 by then, to be my daily driver.. maybe even wait till the 12.. =P
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
But it's different!!!

I agree, though. We have absolutely no idea what the mod potential is on this car. For all we know, it could be severely detuned for what the engine is capable of, and a couple basic mods + tune could yield fantastic results.

or the opposite

point is, just wait and see
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

it is going to be tough to know the full mod potential of a brand new motor within the first year.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Onyxeros
it is going to be tough to know the full mod potential of a brand new motor within the first year.
+1

Yup...give it at least 2 years.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lemmonhead
your like an old man and never happy. You complain about something, so you get the other and that still doesn't please you.
People started complaining about the looks, so mitsubishi listened to you guys and put a valiant effert into making this car look good, and they did one good job of it! Now everyone complains of the power.
You cant have best of both worlds and still be cheap, I never heard of people saying make it look good, keep the power but keep the price the same. You only heard of compaints to the looks, so mitsu figured it was ok to add to the cost to get this looks upgrade.
people these days, they want to talk forever and have unlimited minutes on their cell phones but only want chump change as the bill.
people want everything NOW NOW NOW and dont want to work for it
people think they are all that matters, everyone else are unimportant.
and people want a super powerful evo to match performance of a Vette
but and want looks like a bmw or porsche. but keep the price in the YARIS range.
FREAKING GROW UP AND GET SERIOUS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think it is unreasonable to want something better. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the performance of a true performance car to get better with each successive generation - do you? The Evolution has always been about performance without compromise. Its always been about a bargain track/rally car that can compete with the best that Europe and America can offer. Other manufacturers - BMW, Audi, GM, Ford - have made their performance cars larger and more comforable, but they have also significantly increase the power so that they would be better than the last generation. You didnt have to compromise. They certainly werent slower in straight lines, they looked better, and they could certainly go faster around a track than their predecessors. The only thing the X has on the IX is looks and has seemingly lost much of the character that made it popular in the first place. You don't gain long-term market share by significantly deviating from a course in the market place that made your product unique and exciting. Mitsu had that with the VIII and the IX...the X - not so much.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:01 AM

hi, i've read the threads about the evox...and the bottom line is, we have answered our own questions and Mitsu is wrong for neglecting the tuner/enthusiast base BUT in all fairness they may not have had much of a choice considering their financial constraints for the last couple of years. the only saving grace i've seen with respect to the evolution is that in the debut of the 7...we were all dashed into dispair, but the 8 and 9 ( as i think someone mentioned before) pulled us out of that rut. the 11 AND 12 JUST MIGHT do the same...dont give up hope yet. i'm from the caribbean and we've imported every single iteration of evo from the 1 to the 9....and the trend is that usually mitsu has "evolved" the car for the better in the final iteration of the body style, for example, the 3, 6 and 9 have been the superior models having being refined or "evolved" (i love that word lol) enough to raise the bar and keep everyone happy.

now to the facts

the original selling point of the evo was that it was touted as the fastest point to point 4 door sedan with rich, rally injected (screw inspired!) DNA. that was it , plain and simple. the evo IX showed us that even after leaving wrc, mitsu could still produce an excellent car, albeit slightly watered down from the badboy V and VI previously. the 9 was a stepping point up! There are some of you that say " oh mitsu had to refine the evo for a market that's growing older, blah blah. POPPYCOCK! i say. Do u see the elise gettin nav, sound deadening etc. just because it is the "in thing?". Chapman designed the lotus as being a light track oriented car and for the most part they are staying fathful to their roots. They may deisng a new model to fit the "gt...i have a family now....track cars are for the youth crowd, but i assure u at least 1 OF THEIR CARS will remain true to teir heritage. In saying that, i propose that mitsu CoULD have done a better job or made an improvement in performance from the IX while adding some more civil features ( without gaining 200lbs) because they started with a brand new platform so they had no EXCUSE. IN this vein as well, i am tempted to think that since the gsr x WAS SO WATERED down, the Rs or mr model should have been more "vicious". Years from now, one should b able to still look at least one form of the evolution and see that the car was bred for war,to do battle with the likes of subaru,skoda,ford,toyota,hyundai with dna refined from trAversing hills, mountains ,valleys and swamps all over europe and the world.

in essence all i'm trying to say is that, yes mitsu had to please the bean counters to stay afloat. Makes perfect financial sense. And they may achive that with the gsr.I do think tho, that the rs/mr model could have been enthusiast specific, not deviating so far from its rally heritage.

i welcome ur views, i know some ppl will not agree with me but, that is the whole purpose of a forum....to encourage discussion and share learning, so i am willing to hear different viewpoints....lets be civil now!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Yeah I care about its performance in the straits. Tracks have straits you know. Go watch the track battle video and see what happens in the straits to the X.
So how often do you track your car?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am disappointed in the x, but that's probably because my expectations were so high. i like the new look, the new awd system, the new luxury and electronics, and especially that it finally has a sequential transmission! i'm glad it doesn't look like the ever-so-played out boy racer special anymore too. but...at its core, the evo is supposed to be a race car you can drive on the street. if you can package that performance in a nicer box, awesome! but take the performance away, and...what exactly IS the evo anymore? so far the outlook is not that great in regard to performance, especially when it comes to the new transmission. as soon as someone figures out how to mod a x mr to at least be capable of running high 12's without significantly reducing the life of the sst (not the drag racing reliably of course, just that level of performance), i'm running to the dealership to get one. till then, honestly, they can keep it for now. i'll wait to see what the xi has to offer, or maybe just the incremental updates they come up with for 09 (like when us early adopters got screwed out of ACD and front LSD in the viii). i'm willing to bet the xi is going to be a beast if they build it. the 4b11t was supposed to have direct injection. that would have made the extra power needed to put the evo where it should be, and i can't imagine the xi not having it, if not the x in an update. this would also be better from a tuning perspective, since you can get aggressive with timing and afrs without worrying so much about detonation.
but yeah, i think we are all disappointed the x isn't living up to ALL the hype...and that for the first time, the sti clearly outperforms it...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
So how often do you track your car?
I plan to track the {insert trackable car here} as often as possible - they do events around here at Ft. Devens in Ayer MA. Never got there with the M3 unfortunately and I sold it because it was unreliable. Frankly I'd rather track a JDM due to reliability and parts cost so I was hopeful for the GSR with coils. Now I'm thinking an 07 STi with coils.

Do you track the 997S? I've been considering one of those but I'd rather not fix it when I break something. Since I'm a noob I will break something.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I plan to track the {insert trackable car here} as often as possible - they do events around here at Ft. Devens in Ayer MA. Never got there with the M3 unfortunately and I sold it because it was unreliable. Frankly I'd rather track a JDM due to reliability and parts cost so I was hopeful for the GSR with coils. Now I'm thinking an 07 STi with coils.

Do you track the 997S? I've been considering one of those but I'd rather not fix it when I break something. Since I'm a noob I will break something.
Eeewww...the pig-nose STI? Why not just get a IX? Its a better track car anyway.

Quick Reply: WOW what a disappointment!!!!