Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by klipsch0

lets be real here, if you want some hardcore performance car wait for the skyline and if u dont got the money you gotta suck it up and buy something slower.

all in all, evo x is a better car over all. if you really want the extra power you can always add it... if mitsu has to work harder to pull off crazyness then they gotta raise the price. if the price goes too high it will compete with better cars that it has no chance with overall.
Why spend 80 K when you can get a 425 and eventually 500" Hp Dodge Challenger in the 30's? 0-60 in 4.5 and 174 MPH top speed.

The new Camero will have 400 hp and have sub 5 second 0-60 times. It will also be in the 30s.

Let us not forget the 335, and 135.

The new Mustang will have 350+ hp.

There is a new RX7 in the wings as well as a Supra.

Pontiac Solstace - 30K and you can bump the 260 hp pretty easily.....

I can't believe it, but it is the AMERICAN manufacturers that are bringing back the excitement.

What about the new Hundai (spelling) Genesis car to be launched? 300 HP rear wheel drive or an optional turbo 4.... around 30 K

lets be real, lowered the performance and raised the price. I don't think that it can be considered an "exceptional" car like it was. It may well be a "nice" or "sporty" car, but a hell raising 4 door it ain't. I have to give credit where credit is due, the American manufactures are finally injecting passion and excitement into their cars, and I hope the sell like crazy. It would benefit all of us if the high performance cars sold well and the Toyota clones (variations of vanilla) did poorly. The EVO X was going to be my next car, but now, I am not so sure.....
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I'm just sad. I've defended the X all along, and I just can't do it anymore. The best motoring tests killed it for me. WTF!? All the magazine reviews made it out to be the "far better handling" car, which in a lot of ways it is, but it doesn't pay big dividends on a race track like they implied, because as soon as the straight opens up, the old evos and stis pull past it, giving them the overall faster lap time. I think that on a super-twisty track with no long straights, that the evo x would in fact be faster. However most tracks have at least one decent straight, and this is where the X gets killed. I'm still going to buy the car, because what other car for the money can pull .99 Gs on the skidpad? It's incredible, it's just not fast in the straights, and that's what pains me. If it tied the old model in the straights, not even beat...but just tied, then the car would be a triumph. But, I think that mitsu knew the only was to do that was to offset the added weight by adding 40 more hp, and they just didn't want to do that. Maybe it was fear of raising the price to high. Maybe they were affraid that if the car ended up costing 40,000 that it would be competing with cars that targeted the kind of buyer who wouldn't be interested in an EVO, which is probably true. Who knows...
Or it could be that the new transmission can't handle the power. They couldn't have the 5 speed with a higher performance option, because then NO one would buy the more expensive variant. I think the push for these auto/manuals is really five years ahead of its time.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I REFUSE to accept a car that traps at 96MPH that says EVOLUTION on the back.

Its not too late. Mitsu reads this site.

You know that the UK is going to have a fully warrantied FQ 330 and perhaps FQ 360 5spd? Why should North America get an anemic version?

I'm not anti X at all. I'm anti ***** X.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mean TT
Why spend 80 K when you can get a 425 and eventually 500" Hp Dodge Challenger in the 30's? 0-60 in 4.5 and 174 MPH top speed.

The new Camero will have 400 hp and have sub 5 second 0-60 times. It will also be in the 30s.

Let us not forget the 335, and 135.

The new Mustang will have 350+ hp.

There is a new RX7 in the wings as well as a Supra.

Pontiac Solstace - 30K and you can bump the 260 hp pretty easily.....

I can't believe it, but it is the AMERICAN manufacturers that are bringing back the excitement.

What about the new Hundai (spelling) Genesis car to be launched? 300 HP rear wheel drive or an optional turbo 4.... around 30 K

lets be real, lowered the performance and raised the price. I don't think that it can be considered an "exceptional" car like it was. It may well be a "nice" or "sporty" car, but a hell raising 4 door it ain't. I have to give credit where credit is due, the American manufactures are finally injecting passion and excitement into their cars, and I hope the sell like crazy. It would benefit all of us if the high performance cars sold well and the Toyota clones (variations of vanilla) did poorly. The EVO X was going to be my next car, but now, I am not so sure.....
None of that American junk you listed can recover once the tail lets loose. I guess you could call that excitement! Maybe the Solstice turbo, I don't know.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

All you need is 18's and springs to get 99+g's in the evo ix,and let's be real here mitsu focused more on cost cutting than making a better evo and this is the result.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billyblonco
All you need is 18's and springs to get 99+g's in the evo ix,and let's be real here mitsu focused more on cost cutting than making a better evo and this is the result.
I disagree...to a point. Mitsu didn't necessarily cost-cut, but they allocated their Evo budget in the wrong places. They should have stuck with the manual and done more research into this SST business rather than rushing development - considering they are already having problems with it overheating and having problems with mass-production of the extremely complex unit that it is.

They were already screwed on the weight factor as the current base Lancer weights 300lbs more than the previous CT9A lancer, they did their best there with aluminum everything. However, they should have concentrated their efforts on power output so that it offsets the weight. Performance numbers are everything, and there is no way that this car should have been slower around a track, nor slower in a straight line than its predecessor. That is unheard of with any successive generation of car from any manufacturer.

If they focused more on the basics rather than trying to play copy-cat with this auto manual crap and attempt to move up-market with a car that has never been an up-market vehicle; they would have saved a ton of money and could have increased the bottom-line. All they really had to do with this car is change the look slightly (which they did), make it handle better (which they did), and make it faster (which they failed miserably). I guarantee you they would have had more repeat buyers and those that liked the VIII and the IX but were not yet in the market would have bought it. , I feel, really screwed the pooch with marketing direction.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mean TT
I expect the Camaro to be under $30k. GM wants it to compete wth the Mustang price wise. They'll probably stick the 400+hp LS3 from the Corvette in.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

I plan to track the {insert trackable car here} as often as possible - they do events around here at Ft. Devens in Ayer MA. Never got there with the M3 unfortunately and I sold it because it was unreliable. Frankly I'd rather track a JDM due to reliability and parts cost so I was hopeful for the GSR with coils. Now I'm thinking an 07 STi with coils.

Do you track the 997S? I've been considering one of those but I'd rather not fix it when I break something. Since I'm a noob I will break something.
I do a rare DE event with it. It simply gets too expensive to track regularly.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

No comment...

I just don't know what to say anymore. So many arguments, so much time I spent defending this car and I am just speechless now. I still love the EVO, but I guess I'll just wait for the EVO XI. Not that bad though, still got my IX. Maybe when I pay off my EVO IX in a couple of years, I'll pick up a EVO X and XI as my daily driver to go a long with my EVO IX.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
If this car was badged Galant VR-4 it'd be an instant classic, and nobody would or should have anything bad to say about it. But calling it an Evolution means it has big shoes to fill and people have different expectations and it looks like it is disappointing already. Fans expected dramatic improvements where there are none, and are getting improvements where they don't want them.

Who ordered the leather, nav, climate control, more passenger room, more sound deadening and longer wheelbase??? I wanted it to be the hands-down faster car on ANY track, and definitely faster in the 1/4 mile. What'd we get? "Well if the track has long straights and lots of low speed corners then you will forget that the X is an overweight pig and can only outperform its predecessor with the addition of AYC. Otherwise, the IX is still the superior car. Oh and by the way, its half a second slower and traps 5mph less through the 1/4 mile than the outgoing car, but hey it's got navi."

This was not the case with Mustang iterations, Miatas, the Z-cars, Porsches or any other sporty car I can think of. Which is why they are all going strong and Mitsu's golden child is going to be taken out back and put down after they can't sell it based on name alone in a few years. Yes it will most likely be a smart financial and marketing move on Mitsu's part for now, and it will probably sell well, but they sure as hell aren't making the Evo like they used to. The saddest part is it doesn't even seem like they care.
This is a very nice post. Your right, if the EVO X was actually the new Galant VR-4 it would be an absolutely awesome car compared to it's competition. But it's not a VR-4 Hey maybe the Ralliart will be pretty nice. Lighter and 260hp isn't too shabby
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

None of that American junk you listed can recover once the tail lets loose. I guess you could call that excitement!
Yeah, why is that? The idiots at the controls obviously think the American public is [still] all about 1/4 miles and V8's. Supercharged V8 Mustangs with 1970 technology suspension. Today's market supports low displacement, high-hp, great handling cars. Apart from a couple entries, it's seems the American car makers are looking the other way at a huge opportunity to take a chunk of that market.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

IMO the Evo X will make a great DD and the 5spd should respond well to minor mods. I may ultimately get one for just that purpose, however, I just can't see it replacing my VIII in any way, since:

1.) It's slower out of the box
2.) It's heavier
3.) It only handles better because of SAWC and wider tires. Disable SAWC and put the current Advans on it, and I'm sure it'll be a very different story

All the gimmiks are great on the street, but until someone figures out how to drop most of the extra weight, tune SAWC to the driver's liking, and add some power, it won't make a great track car.

l8r)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Yeah, why is that? The idiots at the controls obviously think the American public is [still] all about 1/4 miles and V8's. Supercharged V8 Mustangs with 1970 technology suspension.
Last I checked, the GT500 was selling for $20-30k over MSRP and Ford is selling 150,000+ Mustangs. Obviously, some people like what they're doing.

Oh, and about the "1970 technology suspension" - did you miss C&D's lightning lap? The GT500 crushed the EVO MR and was within 1 second of the $90k BMW M6....

2006 Mitsubishi EVO MR - 3:13.5
2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - 3:11.0
2006 BMW M6 - 3:10.0

And that was with the GT500 having engine problems!

Today's market supports low displacement, high-hp, great handling cars. Apart from a couple entries, it's seems the American car makers are looking the other way at a huge opportunity to take a chunk of that market.
Why does displacement matter? It seems like making that an important criteria for choosing a car is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Domestics have:
Pontiac Solstice/GXP
Saturn Sky/Redline
Saturn Astra
Pontiac G8
Cobalt SS
Corvette 430hp
Corvette Z06 505hp
Corvette ZR-1 ~650hp
Dodge Viper
Pontiac GTO
Mustang GT500
Mustang Bullitt/Shelby GT
Cadillac CTS
Caliber SRT4
Charger SRT8
Challenger SRT8
Camaro (coming soon)
Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

(and Mazda is sorta like a performance division of Ford so we could include the MS6, MX-5, RX8 and MS3)

All of the above go fast and handle well. Some of them don't have low displacement, but why does that matter? I say the more displacement the better.

Now look at what the big import brands offer....Toyota has nothing and Honda has the old S2000.....wow!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting OT here. Lets try to keep our assumptions based on very sound educated grounds rather that just looking at some number you see.

BTW...as for the last poster. C&D has always been biased(intentional or not) and that mustang is still using ancient suspension. That said, domestics (although I still hate most of them) are at least making some good attends to catch up with a little help from their german and aussie divisions as well. But that was OT as well, so I guess I need to give myself a warning
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Getting OT here. Lets try to keep our assumptions based on very sound educated grounds rather that just looking at some number you see.

BTW...as for the last poster. C&D has always been biased(intentional or not) and that mustang is still using ancient suspension. That said, domestics (although I still hate most of them) are at least making some good attends to catch up with a little help from their german and aussie divisions as well. But that was OT as well, so I guess I need to give myself a warning
Maybe you should ban yourself for going in the same post where you tell others to not go

Oh wait, I just went . Ban for me

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 4, 2007 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: WOW what a disappointment!!!!