Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WOW what a disappointment!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie
Yes I mean the lighter JDM spec X. You know. The ones they tested against the lighter JDM spec IX, lighter JDM spec STi and lighter JDM spec Skyline. That X.

Now be sure to share that pipe with the rest of the class...
What is the weight delta between:

JDM IX -> USDM IX

vs.

JDM X -> USDM X
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
What is the weight delta between:

JDM IX -> USDM IX

vs.

JDM X -> USDM X
USDM Evo X GSR weighs 3517lbs
JDM Evo X GSR weighs 3351lbs
166 lb difference...about the same IX.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noob4life
How exactly is a longer and heavier chassis better than the IX? Or are you basing this claim on the "% less flex" marketing fluff?

Where do you see a better suspension design? Still mac-strut up front, and semi-trailing arm rear. Unless you know something we don't about changes to the actual geometry between the X and IX, if so some of us would love to hear it.

And pleeeeaaaase drop the "modded vs. unmodded/modded" argument.
Misused words, I meant better AWD system, especially here in the USA. The chassis is much better no denying that, weight distribution is a little better, looks are much better, interior is leaps and bounds above that of the last generation. Most of the weight came from safety equipment, sound deadening, etc so dont blame it all on the chassis being heavy. It's a fact of life as the years go on, safety standards keep going up and up and with that comes added weight.

The EVO has always been a tuner car, all this crying over the stock straight line speed will become null once people start modding them.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Guerillah
Misused words, I meant better AWD system, especially here in the USA. The chassis is much better no denying that, weight distribution is a little better, looks are much better, interior is leaps and bounds above that of the last generation. Most of the weight came from safety equipment, sound deadening, etc so dont blame it all on the chassis being heavy. It's a fact of life as the years go on, safety standards keep going up and up and with that comes added weight.
The EVO has always been a tuner car, all this crying over the stock straight line speed will become null once people start modding them.
Not necessarily true. If that's the case, why did the new STI only gain 22lbs They have to conform to the same safety regulations that Evo X does. Fact is, you can still make a relatively "light" car these days regardless of the safety features. The problem is, built a pig of a car. Heck, the base Lancer weighs nearly 3000lbs.

I think we need a little "piggy" emoticon thingy so we can use that to describe the X

EDIT: found a little piggy on Google...

Evo X =

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 5, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Not necessarily true. If that's the case, why did the new STI only gain 22lbs They have to conform to the same safety regulations that Evo X does. Fact is, you can still make a relatively "light" car these days regardless of the safety features. The problem is, built a pig of a car. Heck, the base Lancer weighs nearly 3000lbs.

I think we need a little "piggy" emoticon thingy so we can use that to describe the X

EDIT: found a little piggy on Google...

Evo X =
The EVO IX was not a 07 car, therefore it didnt have to conform to the same safety standards that the 07 STI did. Between the 06-07 the STI gained weight, and now from the 07-08 the STI has gained weight again. We all know the IX was more raw than the STI thus, it had less weight from sound deadener, safety equipment, crash bars, etc and now it gained all of that in the X and now you see a big increase in weight.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Yeah I care about its performance in the straits. Tracks have straits you know. Go watch the track battle video and see what happens in the straits to the X.
But the Evo has traditionally been able to HELP you get out onto the straights faster....
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

The EVO IX was not a 07 car, therefore it didnt have to conform to the same safety standards that the 07 STI did. Between the 06-07 the STI gained weight, and now from the 07-08 the STI has gained weight again. We all know the IX was more raw than the STI thus, it had less weight from sound deadener, safety equipment, crash bars, etc and now it gained all of that in the X and now you see a big increase in weight.
But the 2008 STI still tips the scales under 3400lbs while the Evo is over 3500lbs. The Evo has extra weight that was unneccesary and not all from the safety equipment.

Anyway you look at it, the Evo X is an overweight
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone see any comparisons between the Evo X RS and the Subaru STi? That to me seems like a pretty fair fight, I'd be interested in the results.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:40 PM

I thought the IX GSR was already a pig for the weight (had one). Doesn't make me want to get a X.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

The new Evo weighs the same as a BMW 5 series!!! Wow

I agree that the Evo X IS A PIG of a car. Imagine when you are not at the 3500+rpm and the low compression 2.0 engine has to move almost 3600lbs of a car...

btw...
JDM Evo 9 maxTQ@3000rpm
USDM Evo 9 maxTQ@3500rpm
USDM Evo 10 maxTQ@4400rpm

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/medi...al%20Specs.pdf

Last edited by k270kmh; Dec 5, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Explain why the chassis is better? Better for what? Better in a crash? maybe. Better for performance? No - weight is the enemy when it comes to performance. Please show where it says that 250 - 300 extra lbs came from "safety" equipment? The new car is a pig, and that makes it less of a performer than it could have been had Mitsu made an effort to keep the weight down, that is the only thing that is undeniable. The rest are subjective (looks).

The only thing worse than bench racing is bench racing modded cars.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Explain why the chassis is better? Better for what? Better in a crash? maybe. Better for performance? No - weight is the enemy when it comes to performance. Please show where it says that 250 - 300 extra lbs came from "safety" equipment? The new car is a pig, and that makes it less of a performer than it could have been had Mitsu made an effort to keep the weight down, that is the only thing that is undeniable. The rest are subjective (looks).

did their best to keep weight down. The weight discrepency between the old base lancer (2745lbs) and the Evo IX (3285) was actually greater (540lb difference) than the weight discrepency between the current Lancer (3032) and the Evo X (3517lbs - difference of 485lbs). Proof of their effort is that the weight discrepency is less, yet there are more airbags, drivetrain parts, and other various luxury-esque weight inducing parts. The problem was that the base lancer was already so d*mn big and heavy (3000+ lbs for an econo-car!), it is just physically impossible to decrease the weight anymore than it already is without significantly increasing the price by using more exotic materials.

Where Mitsu failed is the motor. 291hp sucks for a car that weights as much as the Evo does. They should have put more R&D into power delivery versus the SST b.s. .
Old Dec 5, 2007, 05:51 PM

Hahahahahahaha.... take a hint

"Zee X ish a littull piggy"... "it's not toit like a toiger"...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^ LOL

An MR and an overheating SST? No? More weight and not so much powerz? No? An STI beating an Evo? No? Oh well...zen zere is no pleazing you!!!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

I agree.... Im so content w/the RS. If I want a tarted up, navi, chrome tid-bitted Evo, all I gotta do is add the CT9A JDM Double Din pod and add a NAV, then get some chrome interior bits from the JDM wagon line. You guys ready to change the AYC fluid every 15k? Hope you live near some twisties to enjoy its benefit?

Here is what an Evo should look like on the scales, not 3500-3600! My RS with a recaro baby seat, a book of old CD's, sorta heavy 18 inchers, stock battery, 4 speaker stereo system and half a tank of gas................

Quick Reply: WOW what a disappointment!!!!