Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Edmunds reports EPA economy; some SUVs better

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds reports EPA economy; some SUVs better

Here's a recent article on Edmunds about Evo pricing and EPA economy:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123941

The pricing has been beaten to death around here. Now how about that fuel economy? 16-17 city, 22 highway. Now I'm not expecting an economy car, but larger cars in the price range with larger engines and AWD are better. For example, the G35x, Audi A4, BMW 335xi, and even the Caddy CTS AWD are all 1-4 mpg better on the highway. The STI is 17/23.

Nobody buys one of these cars for the great mileage, but I'd hope for better highway numbers out of a small car with a 2.0L engine.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

since they changed to a more luxurious platform, they might as well ditch the 2.0L and stick in a V-6 300+hp engine. It will be faster and should get better fuel mileage. It desperatly needs more torque at the current weight
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

The 263hp FWD Eclipse only gets 16/25....throw in into the EVO with 37 more HP and AWD and it would probably get less MPG than the 2.0.

People sometimes think small 4cyl = good gas mileage, but that just isn't the case with most 4cyl performance cars.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe im missing something here. Its all just a mathematical equation to get MPG. How can the numbers change, when the numbers being used in the formula havent changed? What are the variables that made the economy go down? For example, i know this is an average but - taking how many miles i drove on my last tank, and divided it by the number of gallons i put into the tank upon filling up and divide them, you get your last tanks average. I dont understand...
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

The car is heavier, so that will add to the decrease of MPG.

Originally Posted by evo542
since they changed to a more luxurious platform, they might as well ditch the 2.0L and stick in a V-6 300+hp engine. It will be faster and should get better fuel mileage. It desperatly needs more torque at the current weight
Be careful with that, remember the Eclipse?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Eh,

Understand that this thing isn't gonna be doing Pyris numbers with the MPG. But the beastily Corvettes does better mileage.

Guess it's not far off from the respectable mileage that my Highlander is doing plus the extra incentive of speed?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, the Corvette gets amazing MPG considering the performance, but the EVOs gas mileage doesn't look so bad when you compare it to something like the S2000. The S2k is 600lbs lighter with 54 less HP and 100+ less lb-ft yet it only gets 18/25 mpg.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thats what happens when people try to extract 300HP out of a 2.0l turbocharged motor on a 3500lbs car. 4G63 wasn't any better either.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, the EVO X just keeps getting worse and worse with every new piece of info they release
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

+1 ^^. definetly not impressed at all.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

the one saving grace it had was the assertion that it was still faster than the IX around a track...now that that has been blown apart, the EVO X is just a big dissapointment. it's not nice enough to compete with other cars in it's price range on looks/quality alone (which is not why you'd buy an EVO anyway), and now it's slower than it's competitors.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

One thing I'm thinking.....do I want to drive a 14 second car that gets 19 mpg (city/highway mix)?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i wanna see that great gas milage on the track from the vette. Of course with 7 liter, 6 speed and light weight will give you better avarage, then 2l, 6 speed, 4 wheel drive, less aero efficent + heavier car...
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
One thing I'm thinking.....do I want to drive a 14 second car that gets 19 mpg (city/highway mix)?
your sig is trash. that C&D lightning lap was bull****. those idiots can't drive for ****. explain how a cobalt SS has higher entry AND exit speeds than the Z track edition AND the EVO IX MR.... the EVO should have mopped the floor with that Z, and the GT 500.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:55 AM

Keep in mind these fuel economy numbers are under the new EPA fuel economy measuring system, not the old BS system.

They take into consideration higher driving speeds, AC, heater, etc. Every car from every manufacturer has lower numbers this year. I wouldn't be too suprised, since I imagine most IXs get similar gas mileage in the first place.

Every car made 2008 and after falls under the new test methods.

Read about it here: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

Originally Posted by ODUB
your sig is trash. that C&D lightning lap was bull****. those idiots can't drive for ****. explain how a cobalt SS has higher entry AND exit speeds than the Z track edition AND the EVO IX MR.... the EVO should have mopped the floor with that Z, and the GT 500.
Just because a Cobalt SS has a higher entry and exit speed doesn't mean it's the fastest around a track. Even if it is, it doesn't mean the car is the easiest, or most fun to drive.

What do you care a Cobalt SS, 350Z or GT500 does? Just because an EVO is an EVO doesn't mean it can mop the floor.

Quick Reply: Edmunds reports EPA economy; some SUVs better