Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
So, for all the Evo X fanboys who cried "foul" when the first Motor Trend review came out, now there is a "real" test and this healthy X is only .2 seconds faster 0-60 and .1 seconds faster 1/4 mile than the "wheezing" X. The first test stated that the "wheezing" of the engine would account for only .1-.2 seconds in the accelerations times. And, it turns out they were dead on. 5.2 and 13.9 @ 99.3mph is not impressive. I guess that's perfectly acceptable for the "soccer moms" that will be interested in the Evo X (did you guys read that article yet?).

Also, for all the Evo X fanboys who kept dreaming the car would be underrated and would magically hit showrooms with more power...well, sorry but I hate to tell you that Santa Clause isn't real either...
Well, I guess you have a right to compare Evo IX to Evo X but then again a more fair comparison would be if you would compare Evo VII (start of new platform) to Evo X (start of new platform) and in that comparison Evo X seems to be a better car. It's not easy to design a high performance car from ground up with new engine, chassis, AWD system and get it all prefect from the get go considering that safety/emission standards on yearly basis are more strict. Evo X will have it's growing pains as any car enthusiast could have predicted. I am also a bit disappointed with Evo X performance but I also understand why Mitsubishi did what they did. And I also believe that Evo XI will be a real performer, Mitsu instead of designing/developing entirely new car will have time to perfect what they started with Evo X.

Also, if you didn't know, Evo X will be available with a 5-speed tranny so if you don't want an SST then don't get it, simple as that, Mitsubishi is trying to appeal to a wider audience to have more sales. Also, it is confirmed that the new Evo X engine will be able to handle more than 360HP for a simple fact that UK will have an FQ360 version of it available. Give me a reliable Evo with 400HP with improved daily driving abilities and I'll be happy. Evo VII-IX as raw and performance oriented they were, looked like cars I assembled from legos 15 years ago, not pretty at all, new Lancers are years ahead in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics, now all Mitsu has to do is up the performance a bit and a year from now you'll sing a different tune.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by msatchmo
lol so the Evo is on par or possibly slightly slower than Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Redline... hillarious. Although those cars get like 30mpg as well and cost $30k

What I don't get in the article is that the STI pretty much wallop'd the Evo in everything but steering.

In 'real world' driving around town STI's are going to be smoking Evo's it appears. You will NEVER get a full 1 mile twisty course race against someone in real life. It's all going to be the never ending battle at the stop light or a quick pass and chase on a freeway. In neither case will you need even more than .6 or .7g skidpad, let along .9whatever.

Looks like STI will win IRL unless you are at a really curvey track. I don't even like STI's btw.

This is just more bad news imo.

Oh lord, go drive your Cavalier, in real world there are speed limits all over the place so you won't be able to get your Cavalier past 60MPH without breaking the law most of the time anyway so you may as well buy a Pinto. Evo and STI are enthusiasts track cars with handling of supercars costing $150K up, something Solstice and Sky doesn't know about. Don't even mention those two cars with Evo and STI in the same sentence cuz you are making a fool out of yourself. If you want a drag racer go buy the American muscle, if you want a balanced all-around performance, get anything but American muscle.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; Dec 26, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ +1
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Evo X will lose to a TL Type S in a drag race. Wow. Evo X FTL
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I love this result. Hopefully, people will not buy the EVO for drag racing purposes and buy it for the track. That is what Mitsu intended to do. The Evo is not for drag racing. If you want to drag race go get a muscle car.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

that the STI pretty much wallop'd the Evo in everything but steering.

In 'real world' driving around town STI's are going to be smoking Evo's it appears. You will NEVER get a full 1 mile twisty course race against someone in real life. It's all going to be the never ending battle at the stop light or a quick pass and chase on a freeway. In neither case will you need even more than .6 or .7g skidpad, let along .9whatever.

Looks like STI will win IRL unless you are at a really curvey track. I don't even like STI's btw.

This is just more bad news imo.

in the real world, people who race on the streets are dumbasses

remember when all the idiots were hooping and hollering when the new STI beat the Evo X on a track. Thank god there are still some intelligent people left on this forum who knew that basing times on one review was pretty foolish.

Motor Trend had the same pre-production SST model as when Best Motoring tested theirs, so I can't wait when to see the times of the production model without the overheating issue.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:08 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
evos used to be good all-around racing purposes. Track, drag, and street they did all well. But now it looks like the evo X is having a little issue with straight line racing. I hope the aftermarket will fix that.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Also isn't the 2008 STI lateral Gs actually better than a 07 STI lateral Gs??? So I wouldn't really call the new STI shoes that weak in comparison to the previous generation STIs.
I'm attributing the increase in lateral G to the wider tires. People who've driven both RE070's and SP 600's are thus far of the opinion that the RE070's seem to have a lot more stick. Certainly, the SP 600 has a much higher treadwear rating . I've always kinda figured lateral G is primarily a demonstration of tire adhesion more than suspension dynamics, so IMO the 0.05g extra in the Evo X tells me I want a set of those tires .

Oh well. Magazine racing is somewhat entertaining but it doesn't mean all that much to me. I want the car that is the most fun to drive, which may or may not translate to fastest on a road course, and is certainly a subjective measurement. I won't be getting either a new STI or a new Evo anytime soon, even if they have better magazine numbers than my current car I think my money is better spent getting more practice sessions in at the track . I can buy a *lot* of track days this year for what I would lose trading-in my STI.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:18 PM

Look you can cry all you want about what i'm talking about. Mitsubishi is the one who said themselves that they are trying to broaden the market of the Evo X. MOST PEOPLE i.e. 95% of the world or more, do not RACE their cars or drive them anywhere but on roads with speed limits. That doesn't mean when you are at a stop light and some nerds next to you start revving their engine you don't want to smoke them up to 60. This is the AMERICAN way of racing and is usually the kind of race stories you hear being talked about by the majority of people who drive.

So your EVO X will keep up with saturn sky redline and mazda speed 6 and get smoked by a lot of other cars out there. It's too bad you won't be able to catch up to them and threaten to beat them at a track as they laugh at you.

The above post said it best. The EVO used to be a good car off the line and it's not anymore. It's not BAD or SLOW by any means, but it's definitely not in the elite under 5.0 sec club anymore.

Only racers who buy this car to take the track or people who live in mountains with twisty roads all over the place should be happy with the new Evo (given that they can get over the crappy fuel economy). For everyone else this is a bit of a disappointment and in reality it looks like the STI will be winning most of the races that actually occur across the U.S. on a day to day basis.

Still think I'm wrong... go to youtube and look up races, all you will see is a bunch of people lining up or going from a roll 3 beeps and go. That's how cars are judged these days in terms of 'what is fast'

Not... omg you totally smoked me off the line by 4 car lengths but if we were in an 8 hour lemans i totally would school you because i'd make up 1/10ths of seconds on the tight curves on you all day long...

P.S. The Z24 Cavalier is the college car that is still running fine so no point in replacing it, especially since I've been on almost non-stop travel for work the past 12 months.. I'm 26 and own a $250,000 house that is paid off (no mortgage) and have enough in the bank to buy a new EVO MR decked out for cash. Given all my business travel I've driven pretty much every car available from Herrtz/dollar/thrifty/alamo/etc. This includes 300M's with V8, Mustangs V6 and V8, Toyota everything, Chrysler everything, and I've gotten to beat the living crap out of them. Friends and family own a variety of vehicles that I have 100miles + behind the wheel of each: such as Mini Cooper type-S, Saturn Sky Redline, Chrysler Crossfire, C5 Corvette, Evo IX, WRX STI 06, and mustang GT. I've also test drove Infiniti G35/G37 and mazda speed 6 recently. Apparently in your eyes since I put in my profile I own a 97 Cav I know nothing about cars, driving, what people view as 'fast', the value of a $, or life. Great assumption.

Last edited by msatchmo; Dec 26, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Look you can cry all you want about what i'm talking about. Mitsubishi is the one who said themselves that they are trying to broaden the market of the Evo X. MOST PEOPLE i.e. 95% of the world or more, do not RACE their cars or drive them anywhere but on roads with speed limits. That doesn't mean when you are at a stop light and some nerds next to you start revving their engine you don't want to smoke them up to 60. This is the AMERICAN way of racing and is usually the kind of race stories you hear being talked about by the majority of people who drive.

So your EVO X will keep up with saturn sky redline and mazda speed 6 and get smoked by a lot of other cars out there. It's too bad you won't be able to catch up to them and threaten to beat them at a track as they laugh at you.

The above post said it best. The EVO used to be a good car off the line and it's not anymore. It's not BAD or SLOW by any means, but it's definitely not in the elite under 5.0 sec club anymore.

Only racers who buy this car to take the track or people who live in mountains with twisty roads all over the place should be happy with the new Evo (given that they can get over the crappy fuel economy). For everyone else this is a bit of a disappointment and in reality it looks like the STI will be winning most of the races that actually occur across the U.S. on a day to day basis.

Still think I'm wrong... go to youtube and look up races, all you will see is a bunch of people lining up or going from a roll 3 beeps and go. That's how cars are judged these days in terms of 'what is fast'

Not... omg you totally smoked me off the line by 4 car lengths but if we were in an 8 hour lemans i totally would school you because i'd make up 1/10ths of seconds on the tight curves on you all day long...

P.S. The Z24 Cavalier is the college car that is still running fine so no point in replacing it, especially since I've been on almost non-stop travel for work the past 12 months.. I'm 26 and own a $250,000 house that is paid off (no mortgage) and have enough in the bank to buy a new EVO MR decked out for cash. Given all my business travel I've driven pretty much every car available from Herrtz/dollar/thrifty/alamo/etc. This includes 300M's with V8, Mustangs V6 and V8, Toyota everything, Chrysler everything, and I've gotten to beat the living crap out of them. Friends and family own a variety of vehicles that I have 100miles + behind the wheel of each: such as Mini Cooper type-S, Saturn Sky Redline, Chrysler Crossfire, C5 Corvette, Evo IX, WRX STI 06, and mustang GT. I've also test drove Infiniti G35/G37 and mazda speed 6 recently. Apparently in your eyes since I put in my profile I own a 97 Cav I know nothing about cars, driving, what people view as 'fast', the value of a $, or life. Great assumption.
The Evo just beat an STi around the track DESPITE your loved slower 0-60 time than STI. And if 0-60 time is all you care about then you are definitely in the wrong forum. Evo, first and foremost, has always been about handling, a lot of people in USA made them in to drag racers but they were never intended to be drag racing cars.

Last but not least, I also own a house, just a bit more expensive than yours, so what is your point? Do any of your friends have an Evo X? By any chance, did you get a chance to drive Evo X at your local Hertz lately?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Interesting article, especially with them still putting the Evo X as the winner, even with its acceleration and braking differences. It's still a fun car.

But much like the '03 Evo VIII being slower in a straight line compared to an STi but quicker around the corners, it looks like the Evo X and STI match-up is looking somewhat similar (though unfortunately the Evo X got slower than before). But wait a year or two until Mitsubishi starts making their engine tweaks here and there, and you will get the faster acceleration along with its superior handling, something that the STI will have difficulty matching, whereas hp and torque can almost always be increased with time.

EDIT: Not that it's important or anything, but Motor Trend accidentally switched the fuel tank sizes in their spec sheet.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
even if it beats the new STi that doesn't really matter because it can't beat the EVO IX, OR the OLD STi. the old cars were faster, AND got better gas mileage. which is sad because the gas mileage of the EVO IX sucks.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah those are numbers, and they usually proved wrong on track...
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
even if it beats the new STi that doesn't really matter because it can't beat the EVO IX, OR the OLD STi. the old cars were faster, AND got better gas mileage. which is sad because the gas mileage of the EVO IX sucks.
The IX does not get better gas mileage, the EPA changed the way they rate cars.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think that's funny that the EVO IX is rated at less power, but puts out more. mitsu designed an all new engine and it still sucks. i think it's sad that the 4B11 is all new and they still need close to 20psi to get it to a miserable 255whp. they need to give honda a call. a bone stock K20 with a 7psi and k-pro can be at close to 300whp. now if you take that motor and build it for boost and run 20psi through it, you'd be pushing like 500-600whp. somebody should drop a boosted K20 into the X and you'd have a much better car.

Quick Reply: Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI