Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Oh lord, go drive your Cavalier, in real world there are speed limits all over the place so you won't be able to get your Cavalier past 60MPH without breaking the law most of the time.

Lol, speeding laws and Cavalier in the same sentence! I have a 96 Cavalier, i'm happy when I pass 60 mph and it doesn't break. I took a not so sharp turn the other day at about 30 and it rolled a bit, my front then buckled and went out from under me a little.

Its been a really good econobox for me over the years though.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

I love bench racing.

Does anybody even own a new evo or sti?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL @ 16/22 mpg. i get that with my 8. with a dirty air filter and speeding. the 10 is nice but it is too round for me. i think sports cars should be angular and sharp. they both look nice if you like civics and audis.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:06 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by evilution310
who gives a rats *** about honda motors
Who gives a rat's *** about Mitsubishi motors? Car enthusiasts like discussing motors, their respective technologies, and their potential. Fanboys like you think the car they drive is the greatest thing since sliced bread and everything else sucks. Remember to thank Honda for the concept of variable valve timing as in the MIVEC system that's in the Evo 9+. I give respect when and where it's due.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Who gives a rat's *** about Mitsubishi motors? Car enthusiasts like discussing motors, their respective technologies, and their potential. Fanboys like you think the car they drive is the greatest thing since sliced bread and everything else sucks. Remember to thank Honda for the concept of variable valve timing as in the MIVEC system that's in the Evo 9+. I give respect when and where it's due.
the mivec as old as V-tec. Also the mivec is different the v-tec...

SO:

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 28, 2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Since this is a Mitsubishi forum I would guess a lot of people give a rats *** about Mitsubishi engines. Second of all, Mitsubishi has been using MIVEC since 1992 (basically since Evo I days) so please do a little research before you'll make a fool out of yourself. They may not have offered it in US spec engines but MIVEC is nothing new to Mitsubishi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIVEC
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
SO:
LOL, I like that animation
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

i think the vtec came around 1990. But still those vtec and mivec dont have too much effect on hp. Just to make the car run great on high rpm and the mean time drivable on low rpm.Thats all. Besides the first valve timing came from BMW, So the honda far away from first in anything.... The mitsubishi as a car manufacturer in japan is older then honda .... So if somebody needs to give respect that is a honda.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k270kmh
Road and Track page 124 and 125 (tests resume) January 2008. There is an Alfa Romeo 8C on the first page.

Why would I post false numbers?

my bad i thought that is 1/4 mile numbers. sorry.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is sad, 13,9sec to 100mph is really bad!!! unless the Evo X starts to compete with Honda Accord, Camry, Audi A4 2.0 etc...
I would like to be here saying good things about the Evo X, I wanted an Evo X, but the track and magazines tests is proving that the Evo X sucks.
REMEBER the EVO X is a lot more FAT than the Evo IX, so it is not the launch or the driver or the weather, it is THE CAR!!!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd rather have the new STi.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

i think the vtec came around 1990. But still those vtec and mivec dont have too much effect on hp. Just to make the car run great on high rpm and the mean time drivable on low rpm.Thats all. Besides the first valve timing came from BMW, So the honda far away from first in anything.... The mitsubishi as a car manufacturer in japan is older then honda .... So if somebody needs to give respect that is a honda.
Actually that would be General Motors and Fiat.
The first experimentation with variable valve timing and lift was performed by General Motors. GM was actually interested in throttling the intake valves in order to reduce emissions. This was done by minimizing the amount of lift at low load to keep the intake velocity higher, thereby atomizing the intake charge. GM encountered problems running at very low lift, and abandoned the project.

The first functional variable valve timing system, including variable lift, was developed at Fiat. Developed by Giovanni Torazza in the 1970s, the system used hydraulic pressure to vary the fulcrum of the cam followers. The hydraulic pressure changed according to engine speed and intake pressure. The typical opening variation was 37%.

The next big step was taken by Honda in the late 1980s and 90s, where Honda began by experimenting with variable valve lift. Pleased with the results, engineers took the knowledge and applied it to the B16A engine, fitted to the 1989 EF9 Honda Civic. From there it has been used in a variety of applications, from sport to utility, by many different auto makers.

In the year 1992, BMW introduced VANOS, their version of a variable valve timing system, on the BMW M50 engine used in the 3 Series. VANOS significantly enhances emission management, increases output and torque, and offers better idling quality and fuel economy. The latest version of VANOS is double-VANOS, used in the new M3. Double-VANOS adds an adjustment of the intake and outlet camshafts.

One thing that separates the BMW variable timing from what Honda developed is that VANOS provides stepless adjustments to the valve timing throughout a rpm regime to provide optimum timing at all engine speeds within that regime. Honda's VTEC triggers a single step change at in the timing when the engine speed reaches a preset rpm (this rpm occurs near high rpm ranges).

Variable valve timing was the sole domain of overhead cam engines until 2005, when General Motors began offering the LZE and LZ4, pushrod V6 engines with VVT. For the 2006 model year, General Motors will introduce the Vortec 6200, the first mass-produced pushrod engine with variable valve timing.
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kb.php?aid=211
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

sorry . i knew it was europian who try to do it first, but i thought it was german. And you are right it was fiat. Well that is one explanation why the ferrari have the 3d valve timing wich is the best...
I have to make a note ,not the GM was the first who experimented. 1960 was the fiat then 1975 when the GM jumped into.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

the wikipedia have good info about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
Pocket Mo

the mivec as old as V-tec. Also the mivec is different the v-tec...

SO:
That I wholeheartedly agree.

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Since this is a Mitsubishi forum I would guess a lot of people give a rats *** about Mitsubishi engines. Second of all, Mitsubishi has been using MIVEC since 1992 (basically since Evo I days) so please do a little research before you'll make a fool out of yourself. They may not have offered it in US spec engines but MIVEC is nothing new to Mitsubishi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIVEC
Most people on the forums are no familiar with the MIVEC system short of the current Mitsu line. Hell, many people think it's an Evo thing that I had to point out numerous times that it isn't. No one's making a fool of themselves here. I never said it was exclusive to the Evo line nor did I imply it. I'm in the Evo section of this forum so I used a car many can directly connect with. Regardless, Honda pioneered the technology that so many other companies have used. Give respect where it's due. I love my 4G63T but come on, the thing is old and to say it's a more technologically advanced motor than a K20 (not saying you are, an example) is downright wrong.

Mitsubishi has not been a car manufacturer for longer than Honda. Honda released their first production car before Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ever had a vehicle division. The first Honda production car had a motor that can rev to 9K+ rpms (all knowledge at that point from motorcycle motors) pretty nice from a 60's era car.

Quick Reply: Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI