Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also it isn't just about making power, it also has to do with the ease, the cost, and the relability of doing these builds and again the 4G63T has no 4-Cylinder equals. But that doesn't mean I don't respect the K20, I think it is simply an awesome engine, and it makes my 10 best (any size) engine list. Sh*t now I am off topic, I guess my thread is dead now.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 05:54 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Really, then find me a stock block K20 making more than 670whp? Find me all the K20s making 1000whp or more? Find me all the K20s making 600whp+ on straight pump gas? Find me any K20 capable of withstanding 50lbs of boost? Look I am simply saying if your in the game to make power with a 4-Cylinder, the 4G63T thus far has no equals. I am very impressed with the K20 and one day, as more people tune them the K20 may break the 4G63T records, but that day hasn't yet arrived.
Comparing the stock boost capabilities between a N/A motor and a factory high boost motor doesn't really work. There are actually stock block K20s breaking the 600whp on pump gas + meth with a GT35R on stock internals. I was quite shocked when I saw the results and that's when I knew I have no hope of hitting the same #s as my brother on a GT35R with my 4Gsex3. I love both motors and remember, it's not always about the horsepower #s that define technological advancement.

In terms of 50+ psi, max hp, etc. none of those feats are possible on the stock components. You have to build the motor and of course the parts capable of doing that are readily available with the 4G; it's been around for over a decade. It's still a damn good motor and that's why I bought mine.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Comparing the stock boost capabilities between a N/A motor and a factory high boost motor doesn't really work. There are actually stock block K20s breaking the 600whp on pump gas + meth with a GT35R on stock internals. I was quite shocked when I saw the results and that's when I knew I have no hope of hitting the same #s as my brother on a GT35R with my 4Gsex3. I love both motors and remember, it's not always about the horsepower #s that define technological advancement.

In terms of 50+ psi, max hp, etc. none of those feats are possible on the stock components. You have to build the motor and of course the parts capable of doing that are readily available with the 4G; it's been around for over a decade. It's still a damn good motor and that's why I bought mine.
As far as 50+ psi I wasn't talking about stock block, I was just talking about the engine having the ability to withstand such boost levels, I know of few other 4-cylinders that can withstand such levels, built or not.

Also 600whp on pump gas+meth, please provide a link? Because I higly doubt that, the last time I checked the K20a2 stock block power record was 600whp/405wtq and this was on race fuel homie.

Oh yeah might of made a few more ponies, but this is stock block and the tuner didn't think the engine could withstand the stress of more revs. Again this points to my previous post where I talk about it just isn't about making power.

Last edited by 3000ways; Dec 29, 2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
vtec does effect horsepower. I guess you never owned a honda Won't drag this out because I now own an evo because of the thef issue with the honda's, but honda motors are far more advanced than any mitsu engine.esp the k series.
You dont need to own a honda , you need to know what is going on in these engines. Besides the Honda is not more advanced.

Do you know what a cam is?

also called a bump stick, or a cam shaft?

It is the peice of metal that as it rotates, pushes on the valve stems to open and close the valves to let air and fuel and spent exhaust gases in and out of the combustion chamber.

The cam shaft has duration, lift, and overlap. (This is much more adjustable in a DOHC, which is PRECISELY why your friends single over head cam engine "got left for dead.")

ALL THE V-TEC or MIVEC CAMS DO THAT IS DIFFERENT IS HAVE TWO CAM PROFILES ON THE SAME CAM.

You get to have a good, emission meeting, well behaved profile for low RPM, and a more agressive cam profile for the upper RPM band, where performance dictates the airflow more than emissions.

So If you you take a cam with the "more agressive profile" from the V-TEC or MIVEC cams, and impose it on a "normal" cam shaft, the two engine will make the SAME POWER in the upper RPM band, the "normal" engine will just not idle/meet emissions as well.

same thing in reverse. take the less agressive profile, impose it on a "normal" engine, and it will run just like the V-TEC or MIVEC engine, until the cam in the V-TEC or MIVEC kicks over to the second profile.

Therefore:

If you race someone with the "more agresive profile" imposed on a "normal" engine vs a MIVEC or V-TEC, with all other things the same, the only way you will "Leave him for dead" is if you both start off from the line at 1,000 RPM.

And if you race some one from 1,000 RPM your a retard, and deserve to lose anyway.

BUT, if he's Rev'd his engine up to, say 4,000 RPM, he'll be on the more agresive profile (IE: the same one that your precious MIVEC has) and He'll make the SAME POWER THAT YOU DO.

THUS, V-TEC and MIVEC sound cool, but are not magical peices of fairy dust that get spread over an engine to make it more bad-***.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble, but V-TEC and MIVEC DON"T MAKE HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE in a race over a properly researched "normal" cam.

I'm sorry that your having a difficult time with the english laguage, but I have been saying the SAME THING this entire thread.

... and then besides the fact, V-tec makes aftermarket tuning a car a real pain in the rear, with the sudden jump in airflow to tune around, many people in highly moddified cars just yank it out for simplicity.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Although there was a K24 block/and K20 head that made 646whp, very impressive, even though it wasn't a true K20a2. Still impressive. But like I said it just isn't about the power, it is the ease, cost, and relability. I mean hitting 500whp+ on stock internals for a 4G63T isn't really a big deal because so many EVOs and DSMs have done this, but for other 4-cylinder cars it is still a mighty big accomplishment.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I just don't understand why so many EVO owners underestimate the abilities of the EVO, this has been the case well before the EVO X. Just confuses the f*ck out me. I think this thinking has limited the ability and tuning potential of the EVO platform. I mean you have tuners like Al, who once was claiming that running over 22PSI on pump gas on a bolt on EVO IX was too high, WTF? Yet he tunes 06 and 07 STIs at 20 to 22PSI????? I mean it just amazes me, how conservative tuners in the United States have been with the 4G63T in the EVO. I applaud people like David Buschur who continue to raise the bar on the 4G63T. I don't even think we've even come close to seeing the total potential of the 4G63T. It wouldn't surpise me to see 700whp on stock block one day, and well over 1,100whp on built/big turbo models.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Because they don't know what they got.
Most of them only care, the three beep and pull thru 2 gears ,if they lucky 3... and they call it a race.... pathetic.
And for that the Civic is more then enough....
That is why probably good thing to have the new X in higher price.
Natural selection.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 29, 2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Because they don't know what they got.
Most of them only care, the three beep and pull thru 2 gears ,if they lucky 3...
And for that the Civic is more then enough....
That is why probably good thing to have the new X in higher price.
Natural selection.
You are so right. I give up arguing with these people, the 4G63T just sucks. It must suck it is a Mitsubishi product, this must be the reason why we are all driving RSXs and Civics on this board, oh wait a minute this is an EVO forum??? Could have fooled me.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

And you know what, your damn right, I am a EVO fanboy, #1 fanboy at that. Didn't know it would be a problem being an EVO fanboy on a EVO forum. Hey atleast I don't have much competition for the top EVO fanboy spot, LOL.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

I think if you will dig deep into this problem you will find ,the most evo bashing person is under 23 or so. And probably never been any real race season. Since one or two track day will never justify the difference between the honda and mitshu. But when you step over those, you will find the most mature groupe with real experience. AND i think that is the groupe ,the MMA aiming for the new X. If you left behind the rest it is even better. The new comers will fill those places up with no problem. Personally for me ,the only reason i'm arguing, because i despertly need practice to learn english.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Pocket Mo

Now you guys just resorted to flaming. Come on guys. I was having a technical discussion about the respective and called on fanboyish claims. Honestly, I understand that 3000 does have the knowledge and respect for well designed motors and I applaud him for that.

Robevo, I never once bashed on the Evo. I love my Evo and love the fact I have MIVEC as well. I've been civil with you throughout this thread yet you hold on to the thought I'm trying to convince people the 4G63T is a huge pile of crap and isn't worth modding; that was never and will never be the case. I'll be pushing the absolute limits of my motor on a stock block with a GT35R and will have rods, pistons, and all the other goodies to rebuild if heaven forbid there is a catastrophic failure.

Why can't we just all get along? I give my dues to well engineered motors, never blindly following the manufacturer. I love Daimler motors, BMW motors, the Mitsu/Chrysler 4G63, Honda B, F, and K motors, etc. The fact that engineers out there are constantly pushing the envelope and creating reciprocating masterpieces puts a genuine smile on my face.

Cheers.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

^ amen
Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by msatchmo
lol so the Evo is on par or possibly slightly slower than Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Redline... hillarious. Although those cars get like 30mpg as well and cost $30k

What I don't get in the article is that the STI pretty much wallop'd the Evo in everything but steering.

In 'real world' driving around town STI's are going to be smoking Evo's it appears. You will NEVER get a full 1 mile twisty course race against someone in real life. It's all going to be the never ending battle at the stop light or a quick pass and chase on a freeway. In neither case will you need even more than .6 or .7g skidpad, let along .9whatever.

Looks like STI will win IRL unless you are at a really curvey track. I don't even like STI's btw.

This is just more bad news imo.

lol "steering" he says.

And according to you, it would be pointless to buy evo's or sti's; everyone should just go buy mustangs.

Last edited by Carloverx; Dec 29, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by Carloverx
lol "steeting" he says.

And according to you, it would be pointless to buy evo's or sti's; everyone should just go buy mustangs.
You didn't get the memo? I need you to include cover sheets on your TPS reports btw.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
You dont need to own a honda , you need to know what is going on in these engines. Besides the Honda is not more advanced.

Do you know what a cam is?

also called a bump stick, or a cam shaft?

It is the peice of metal that as it rotates, pushes on the valve stems to open and close the valves to let air and fuel and spent exhaust gases in and out of the combustion chamber.

The cam shaft has duration, lift, and overlap. (This is much more adjustable in a DOHC, which is PRECISELY why your friends single over head cam engine "got left for dead.")

ALL THE V-TEC or MIVEC CAMS DO THAT IS DIFFERENT IS HAVE TWO CAM PROFILES ON THE SAME CAM.

You get to have a good, emission meeting, well behaved profile for low RPM, and a more agressive cam profile for the upper RPM band, where performance dictates the airflow more than emissions.

So If you you take a cam with the "more agressive profile" from the V-TEC or MIVEC cams, and impose it on a "normal" cam shaft, the two engine will make the SAME POWER in the upper RPM band, the "normal" engine will just not idle/meet emissions as well.

same thing in reverse. take the less agressive profile, impose it on a "normal" engine, and it will run just like the V-TEC or MIVEC engine, until the cam in the V-TEC or MIVEC kicks over to the second profile.

Therefore:

If you race someone with the "more agresive profile" imposed on a "normal" engine vs a MIVEC or V-TEC, with all other things the same, the only way you will "Leave him for dead" is if you both start off from the line at 1,000 RPM.

And if you race some one from 1,000 RPM your a retard, and deserve to lose anyway.

BUT, if he's Rev'd his engine up to, say 4,000 RPM, he'll be on the more agresive profile (IE: the same one that your precious MIVEC has) and He'll make the SAME POWER THAT YOU DO.

THUS, V-TEC and MIVEC sound cool, but are not magical peices of fairy dust that get spread over an engine to make it more bad-***.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble, but V-TEC and MIVEC DON"T MAKE HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE in a race over a properly researched "normal" cam.

I'm sorry that your having a difficult time with the english laguage, but I have been saying the SAME THING this entire thread.

... and then besides the fact, V-tec makes aftermarket tuning a car a real pain in the rear, with the sudden jump in airflow to tune around, many people in highly moddified cars just yank it out for simplicity.
if I know what a cam is I messed with honda for oh 10 years building motors so i think I know a thing or two. Never had problems tuning vtec motors and was never a pain. And few peopledo the vtec lobe delete, its called a daily driver most guys who run those cams race their cars or does not daily drive them. I love my evo but the facts are their, honda motors are more advanced but i guess thats also my opinion also along with many. the 4g63 is a great motor and I do have respect for them. Far from 23 and I am not a honda fanboy ( it should show cause I drive an evo now) Just the honda motors keep amazing me all the time.
Back to the topic. Don't like the X

Last edited by kobi2002; Dec 29, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Newest Motor Trend: 2008 EVO X GSR vs. 2008 STI