Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

is it true that the aluminum engine....?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Well that makes you a hater now doesn't it?
roflmao! pwnd.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by w00ht
No it makes them a realist.

Kids don't need powerful cars, unless they have been racing for a long time and it is being purchased as a track only car. Youthful exuberance and the desire to impress others has been the end of many fine automobiles.

As far as the deck do you even know what your talking about? A semi open deck is just about the most common coolant port configuration used.
thank you. and you know wat your right. im 16. im not going out and getting an evo though i (my parents) can afford it. i need to earn everything in life on my own. im buying a lancerwith my own money im paying for my own insurance, gas and car. ive been saving 100% of my paycheck since 15.

ok anything above 200 hp is wayyy too much for us. im a car NUT and i know that. i learned to drive in a corvette because its the lowest hp of all of our cars.

if you get a evo i know youll crash it. my friend drives a 250 hp Sedan. he drives it like a corvette.

so no im not a hater.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
thank you. and you know wat your right. im 16. im not going out and getting an evo though i (my parents) can afford it. i need to earn everything in life on my own. im buying a lancerwith my own money im paying for my own insurance, gas and car. ive been saving 100% of my paycheck since 15.

ok anything above 200 hp is wayyy too much for us. im a car NUT and i know that. i learned to drive in a corvette because its the lowest hp of all of our cars.

if you get a evo i know youll crash it. my friend drives a 250 hp Sedan. he drives it like a corvette.

so no im not a hater.
You're saying that the camry and anything that's similar is too much?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alfa designed a really open deck in the fifties. an aluminum bathtub with cylinder liners for each piston. take the head off rotate the crank and the cylinder liners would pop up.

some guys down under developed a wrap for the four liners that holds them in space and adds strength. they claim 800 hp (granted, a little boost too) from a 2 liter, on a casting that dates to the sixties. its a pretty engine but hardly tough.

just saying if you can get that power from a porous cast block...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aznRice
You're saying that the camry and anything that's similar is too much?
the v6 camrys yes. but then again they are hevy so their not that fast.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends on a lot of things. Aluminum blocks seem to only tolerate 400-ish wheel power... seen it on B series Honda engine, and SR20 Nissan engines. There is a lot of force on the bottom end of a high power, high pressure turbo engine, so naturally, an iron block will hold more. But all this is speculation. We will have to just wait and see.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

i don't know why people say young people can't drive, you don't need a car with that much power, some of you act like when you hit a certain age the person who was dumb as a kid is just going to start acting smarter. I had a decently fast car when i was young didn't get into any trouble. a old person can do the say stuff a young one can.

If my parents were willing to buy me a car for 30k+ i would let them, don't let your pride stand in the way of a good thing. How do we know he is not getting straight A in honors classes, if you want a evo get it, if you wreck it lesson learned, if you have a chance for your parents to buy you a car and pass it up thats just dumb. a geo can kill someone too. i don't know how old you are but if you can co-sign on it that would be a huge plus because your credit would be amazing when its paid off. and don't buy it for cash, if you have the cash only put down 90% and do the rest in payments for your credit score.

As far as the block goes, i don't think aluminum is that strong, thats why people with hondas have to get it re-sleeved to go over 300hp safely, so the evo would probably need it around 400whp.

Last edited by 06EVOIX SE; Jan 5, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

It doesnt take to modding any les than an iron block will. Hondas take massive amounts of power because they love to resleeve their blocks every 6 months with ductile iron units. Iron is just stronger and has a higher tensile strength than aluminum. But nobody knows how the 4B11 will take to modding. Everything is just speculation.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:24 PM

My mom bought my Evo :P!!! Im so glad to be this lucky (Im Co-Signing to )

I like the new Evo X, I wouldn't give that engine a chance though...It'll suck to blow your engine and explain to the dealership why they shouldnt void your warranty. Lol, Plus that is a big behind car, A car that size looks like it'll need a bigger engine, (Thats not aluminum.) I love the new look though, Evo IX Still u'll whip dat @ss though. lol
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by w00ht
No it makes them a realist.

Kids don't need powerful cars, unless they have been racing for a long time and it is being purchased as a track only car. Youthful exuberance and the desire to impress others has been the end of many fine automobiles.

As far as the deck do you even know what your talking about? A semi open deck is just about the most common coolant port configuration used.

Closed Deck= Strongest, Open Deck=Weakest. There is also something known as Semi-Closed Deck, which the STi's have, and as you would have guessed, is in between. The 4G63 is an Iron Block and Closed deck, quite strong. The new Evo Motor appears to be Semi-closed and aluminum. So I doubt it will have the same strength as the 4G63 but I do not think it'll matter until obscene power levels.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06EVOIX SE
i don't know why people say young people can't drive, you don't need a car with that much power, some of you act like when you hit a certain age the person who was dumb as a kid is just going to start acting smarter. I had a decently fast car when i was young didn't get into any trouble. a old person can do the say stuff a young one can.

If my parents were willing to buy me a car for 30k+ i would let them, don't let your pride stand in the way of a good thing. How do we know he is not getting straight A in honors classes, if you want a evo get it, if you wreck it lesson learned, if you have a chance for your parents to buy you a car and pass it up thats just dumb. a geo can kill someone too. i don't know how old you are but if you can co-sign on it that would be a huge plus because your credit would be amazing when its paid off. and don't buy it for cash, if you have the cash only put down 90% and do the rest in payments for your credit score.

As far as the block goes, i don't think aluminum is that strong, thats why people with hondas have to get it re-sleeved to go over 300hp safely, so the evo would probably need it around 400whp.
i wouldnt pass it up either, but it still pisses me off that parents spoil their kids like that. all the cars i drive now are all over 300 hp. our vette is 350, and our jeep (hemi) and 300c (hemi) are like 400 (im guessing... i forgot) i can handle a car just fine. but since im paying hell no am i getting a evo n paying 6k a year for insurance.

i think if this thing cant hold up as well as the IX then mitsu really messes up in my opinion
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Evo X, a car that turns forum posters into metallurigists, stress and strain expererts, finite element analysts, and doubters; all before the car is even released and modified in the US!

Christ, lets debate the engine design AFTER one blows up while making 500+ hp...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Aluminum blocks? Well as an example, I heard that those aluminum LS1-7's are just a nightmare to modify... minimal gains if any.
Nobody around here seems to appreciate or even comprehend sarcasm like this post. I love it!

As discussed previously however Chevy the other day claimed that no motor that's designed for everyday driving should make more than 100 hp/liter (specifically for their new 600+ hp ZR1 corvette). Making a stock 150hp/liter on an aluminum block is currently still bleeding edge.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
i wouldnt pass it up either, but it still pisses me off that parents spoil their kids like that. all the cars i drive now are all over 300 hp. our vette is 350, and our jeep (hemi) and 300c (hemi) are like 400 (im guessing... i forgot) i can handle a car just fine. but since im paying hell no am i getting a evo n paying 6k a year for insurance.

i think if this thing cant hold up as well as the IX then mitsu really messes up in my opinion
Yet, you said it's too much for "us." I don't understand you. First you bash about kid can't handle cars, and now you're like I'm good. Seriously, make up your mind.

It pisses you off because they have nice cars and you don't? Spoil? Yes, it's spoiled to an extent, but that's because they can. When I was sixteen, I got a benz, and a few years later I'm going to trade it in for the new M3, C63 or if the come out with the FQ.

Hate the game. Don't hate the playa. :

btw, where do you live in chicago? southside?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

no. burbs lol. up near niles

i never said he couldent, but in general. remember the kid that killed himself the FIRST day he had his license. his parents bought him a STi and he crashed it.

i know i dont want a crazy fast car right now. id be too tempted to race it n show off.

Quick Reply: is it true that the aluminum engine....?