Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo 13.4@103 (MERGE)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe an anorexic was driving?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootus
It is if the only racing you do is via magazines .
no but a win is a win
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
there are no evo X haters, only non-evolution owners who can't accept the fact that the evo IX is faster than the new X which they are just dreaming of. or non-enthusiasts who were late in the evo game only to realize that the evo X is not as fast as the evo it replaces
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is probably accurate as the MOTOR TREND EVO X actually had mechanical issues when it ran the 14.X @ >100mph
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
there are no evo X haters, only non-evolution owners who can't accept the fact that the evo IX is faster than the new X which they are just dreaming of. or non-enthusiasts who were late in the evo game only to realize that the evo X is not as fast as the evo it replaces

Who cares if the EVO X isn't as fast. Handling is what it's all about and reading some reviews of guys who have both cars, the X owns it.

HP is easy to get then f%^&&*king with the suspension.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
This is probably accurate as the MOTOR TREND EVO X actually had mechanical issues when it ran the 14.X @ >100mph
BTW...C&D did disclose that this is a pre-production model as well.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:13 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KavMan
Who cares if the EVO X isn't as fast. Handling is what it's all about and reading some reviews of guys who have both cars, the X owns it.

we are talking stock for stock are we?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

This comment is what I call a fanboy comment for those who are jumping down my throat about knocking the X.

We drive our cars 99% of the time on the street. Most of us will then race our cars on the street. And most of those races are straight line runs. It's dangerous but many people would rather take that risk. Now to put it in the realm of complete and utter stupidity would be to race on the street around corners and curves! This is where the X would shine but who is willing to go that far?

So, I seriously doubt people buy these cars to only take it to a road course. Sorry but it's being very unrealistic.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Regardless of who was faster or not, the most important point is that all four mags or comparisons had the EVO X rated overall higher than the STI. Not everybody lives life a 1/4 mile at time dude. Even in JDM models, the EVO is winning comparisons against the Subaru rival (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto.../42699/?page=1). Seriously Subaru engineers really have to start thinking about why since 2003 do magazines and comparison tests keep picking the EVO like 90% of the time over the STI/STi.
Dude...

Not everybody lives their life one mag at a time...dude. I actually track my cars. Most JDM videos and reviews show the JDM STI trouncing the Evo X in slalom, drag, and road course work, so you can keep your misinformation to yourself. I just wish we got the JDM car over here (or at least a 2.5L that revved to 8K.)

The Evo X is looking to be a great car, but it is far from being superior to the STI. If there is one thing I fault Subaru for is going to a brand new tire for the USDM car and having such ****ty factory alignments. One 08 owner had 0 degrees of camber upfront. Not exactly conducive to good handling. Furthermore, the 08s have the same ****ty tune as the 07s. Just like the Evo X there are massive improvements waiting in the wings from a simple ECU flash.

Since you love your mag-racing and are talking about old reviews, I guess you forgot how the 05 STI out-ran the Evo around a track when Car and Driver put them on equal tires. The same could happen with the 2008, though AYC is definitely a great advantage. As I said, the Evo X is looking to be a nice package (though I can't stand the looks) but some of you people and your "Subaru engineers suck" slogans need to give it a rest. The cars are far from being THAT different in performance.

Edit:

Oh and before you think I'm some random fanboy coming in to defend the STI, I've been here since '04, but I can't remember what my account was so had to create a new one. Lastly, I'm quite happy that Mitsu is stepping up to the game as it just means Subaru will have to make some improvements for next year. This rivalry is the reason we have such amazing cars to argue about in the first place.

Last edited by Fiend; Jan 27, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
And then there are the people who actually take their cars to the track who realize that the difference between ANY 03-08 Evo/STI is close enough that driver skill is far more important, and they spend their time kicking *** at the track rather than panting about how much better their car is according to the latest magazine test .

I've passed so many cars at the track that should have been faster than me. Not a lot of Evos, but then again I've only ever seen two at the track (and by track I mean road course), about 1/10th as many STIs as I see. I understand that the STI handily outsells the Evo, but still, why is it that so few Evo owners take it out on the road course? I see many of them show up at the drags, though, so they do exist...

That also brings up a point -- it goes without saying that Subaru has access to the same level of engineering expertise and hardware that Mitsubishi does. Both cars are delivered from the factory well below their actual abilities, so we know both manufacturers are tuning them way down for whatever reason, deliberately aiming for a particular target (and I'd bet they also try to make the performance damn near identical -- either one could easily win if they wanted, but they're trying to control the rate at which the game progresses). The end result is much like the old Camaro vs Mustang war, though. The Camaro had better performance, but the Mustang's sales ***** slapped it into non-existence. Subaru may not win the magazine tests, but they seem to have dialed in some magic formula that attracts the most customers.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ

This comment is what I call a fanboy comment for those who are jumping down my throat about knocking the X.

We drive our cars 99% of the time on the street. Most of us will then race our cars on the street. And most of those races are straight line runs. It's dangerous but many people would rather take that risk. Now to put it in the realm of complete and utter stupidity would be to race on the street around corners and curves! This is where the X would shine but who is willing to go that far?

So, I seriously doubt people buy these cars to only take it to a road course. Sorry but it's being very unrealistic.

WTF are you talking about?

I've driven the STI and EVO and can tell right away the EVO has way better handling and was more fun to drive. You don't need to track the car to appreciate the handling.

Power is very easy to get, so what if the X is a little slower stock, a few easy mods and most people will be satisfied with the power. Now let's see you **** with the suspension to make it handle like the X.

I'll have to test dive the X to see if it really owns the IX like poeple are saying though.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fiend
Dude...

Not everybody lives their life one mag at a time...dude. I actually track my cars. Most JDM videos and reviews show the JDM STI trouncing the Evo X in slalom, drag, and road course work, so you can keep your misinformation to yourself. I just wish we got the JDM car over here (or at least a 2.5L that revved to 8K.)

The Evo X is looking to be a great car, but it is far from being superior to the STI. If there is one thing I fault Subaru for is going to a brand new tire for the USDM car and having such ****ty factory alignments. One 08 owner had 0 degrees of camber upfront. Not exactly conducive to good handling. Furthermore, the 08s have the same ****ty tune as the 07s. Just like the Evo X there are massive improvements waiting in the wings from a simple ECU flash.

Since you love your mag-racing and are talking about old reviews, I guess you forgot how the 05 STI out-ran the Evo around a track when Car and Driver put them on equal tires. The same could happen with the 2008, though AYC is definitely a great advantage. As I said, the Evo X is looking to be a nice package (though I can't stand the looks) but some of you people and your "Subaru engineers suck" slogans need to give it a rest. The cars are far from being THAT different in performance.

Edit:

Oh and before you think I'm some random fanboy coming in to defend the STI, I've been here since '04, but I can't remember what my account was so had to create a new one. Lastly, I'm quite happy that Mitsu is stepping up to the game as it just means Subaru will have to make some improvements for next year. This rivalry is the reason we have such amazing cars to argue about in the first place.
dude no matter what they put on that ugly hatch its not beating an evo/ thats history
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I've driven the STI and EVO and can tell right away the EVO has way better handling and was more fun to drive. You don't need to track the car to appreciate the handling.
No , you don't. And nor do you need to have the car pushed to it's limits to enjoy the handling either.

Power is very easy to get, so what if the X is a little slower stock, a few easy mods and most people will be satisfied with the power.
That remains to be seen. Power is NOT easy to get as you would like to put it.

And you can ask ANY car owner that.

Now let's see you **** with the suspension to make it handle like the X.
That's not my concern (nor most people's concern). I'm only concerned with beating you when I see you at a light.

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Jan 27, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
It baffles me that so many of you only reference the peak HP numbers. When do you actually get to use the peak HP? at 7000rpm? How much of the time, while getting to your 1/4 mile, are you at 7000rpm using the peak HP?

I think the new engine/tuning is quite impressive myself. Yes, like everyone, I was hoping/dreaming of ~320, but if you think about lugging ~300Lbs more, with only ~5hp more over the IX and being just a fraction slower is still impressive. If you added 300Lbs penalty to the IX, would it beat the X or STI?

Anyway, my point is that the new engine, although having lower peak numbers than everyone expected, is still quite impressive. I think it has to do with the area under the curve that no one is comparing.... I think the new engine has more overall umph in a much broader rpm range and that is how it is able to lug the extra 300 lbs around and still be competitive with the STI
That is exactly what I was thinking when reading this mess. I'd like to see a stock IX and stock X dyno charts overlayed to compare the two.

Would need to be the same dyno of course on the same day with the same dyno operator and the same time the same minute... blah blah blah to keep people happy.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ BOOSTEZ What is wrong with you? I dont get why some hardcore evo 9 hates the evo X so much. People buy the evo because they want a good all around car. A car that goes fast not just in a staight line but around the corners. If i wanted a car that goes fast in a quarter mile, well buy a mustang. Mustangs are easy and affordable to make them go fast in a quarter mile. Most of the car reviews can agree that the new Evo X handles better than the evo 9. But they can also agree that the evo X is slower than the evo 9 in the straght line. We get the point. Some magazines post higher numbers and other and some dont. Yes, 80% of the evo owners do not take there car to the track often and test out the true handling potential of the evo. And yes 80% of the evo owners that do race would race in a quarter mile that a track. 80% of the evo owners would rather spend money on intake and exhaust, ecu than spend there money on suspention. I want an evo becase i know it handles amazing and that is one thing i would not have to mod becasue it handles good enouoght for me. It is easier to add parts such as intakes, ehaust, ecu then to add coilovers, sway bars. It is easier to make a car go fast than to make a car go fast in the corners. most of the aftermarket companys make more parts that will add power to make you go faster in a stright line that mods to go faster in the corners.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo 13.4@103 (MERGE)