Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Own a IX-drove a X and...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Own a IX-drove a X and...WOW!

I bought an 06 Evo IX brand new and love every minute of it. I was more than sceptical when the x arrived. All of these people on these boards *****ing about how its over weight underpowered-not a true evolution started to have an effect on me-until I saw and drove the X myself.

I will say this now- THE X IS A TRUE EVOLUTION!!! I was very impressed with how it drove, how it looked, and how it feels on the road. I hate to say this...I WANT ONE!!. I drove a X fully loaded GSR with the navi, aero package, and the upgraded stereo. It feels miles better inside the 10 than my 9 with the exception of the seat-the materials look a bit cheap, but they do feel great.

The car feels fantastic on the road. I was surprised but I was able to drive the car about 10 miles! I really enjoy my 9, but am looking at the ten. I am going to wait to buy one until I can drive a MR and until I see how these cars perforom in the hands of tuners like AMS and Buschur.

Do yourself a favor and hold your judgement until you see and drive one yourself. Overall a very impressive evolution.

I still love my 9 and always will but I am looking at the 10 with a fair bit of jealousy.

Go to Griffin Mitsubishi in Menominee Falls, WI and ask for Antonio he knows his stuff and is more than helpful.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people are finding that the X exceeds their expectations after driving it. I myself am one of those people. I had no intention of buying the X. I thought it looked ugly and didnt think it would be very fun since it wasnt the 4G, and had a different turbo. Like you though, I found I was wrong. This car hits WAY harder at the bottom, and is a lot more fun to drive then the previous cars due to it additional handling characteristics. It also gives the benefit of being able to drive comfortably for long distances.

However, for the people that really enjoy that bumpy ride, and I know a lot of people do, this is obviously not the car for them.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

very nice wow they let you drive X for 10 miles thats cool
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I read at C&D about the good low end torque, very good for a turbo car.
Did you feel a better low end torque compared with the 9?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

too bad i'm broke or i would have both 9 and 10
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

I too have a IX that I bought new. Based on magazine articles I thought the X was going to be a joke. Went to the dealership to look them over and was totally impressed. It is NOT a raw, street legal race car that the IX is. If you want to build an AWD street/strip car, start with a IX. If you like EVOs but want something that is a smoother, more quiet ride then the X is perfect. I'm not selling my IX anytime soon because I want more of a street/strip car. But I have complete respect for the X now.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

i am so proud of myself, (pet on the back)

i have been saying this to all of the X haters, "see it, feel it, touch it, drive it and then tell me that the thing sucks."

Originally Posted by dsm_mikey
I bought an 06 Evo IX brand new and love every minute of it. I was more than sceptical when the x arrived. All of these people on these boards *****ing about how its over weight underpowered-not a true evolution started to have an effect on me-until I saw and drove the X myself.

I will say this now- THE X IS A TRUE EVOLUTION!!! I was very impressed with how it drove, how it looked, and how it feels on the road. I hate to say this...I WANT ONE!!. I drove a X fully loaded GSR with the navi, aero package, and the upgraded stereo. It feels miles better inside the 10 than my 9 with the exception of the seat-the materials look a bit cheap, but they do feel great.

The car feels fantastic on the road. I was surprised but I was able to drive the car about 10 miles! I really enjoy my 9, but am looking at the ten. I am going to wait to buy one until I can drive a MR and until I see how these cars perforom in the hands of tuners like AMS and Buschur.

Do yourself a favor and hold your judgement until you see and drive one yourself. Overall a very impressive evolution.

I still love my 9 and always will but I am looking at the 10 with a fair bit of jealousy.

Go to Griffin Mitsubishi in Menominee Falls, WI and ask for Antonio he knows his stuff and is more than helpful.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

i just checked it out today and it was amazing im very suprised.. Im a big fan of the white
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

i too drove one, quality mitsu in Denver has a GG and White GSR.

The WOW factor is there.....

But the justification of the sticker price is NOT!
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes i am very happy that someone finally is not judging the car before actually driving it. Props to you man
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've been saying this since all the hating started as well.

I'm waiting for my dealership to get one in for me look at.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

I'd love to take one out for a spin. I at least got to sit in one today at the local dealer (they have a no-test-drive-unless-you-sign-paper policy).

The interior is a lot nicer than the IX. But at the same time, I was disappointed. I had built up an expectation, and the reality didn't match it. The material quality is pretty bad, and the interior feels cramped. Visually it is appealing to me. The seats suck. There, I said it. Compared to the Recaro Sports I have in my STI, the X seats blow. They have a lot of side bolstering, and that is nice, but in terms of comfort they immediately started triggering the nerves in my lower back.

In less than five minutes after leaving the Mitsu dealer, I stopped at the Subaru dealer to see what the STI felt like in comparison. Gotta say, Subaru has a better feel for interior design. And while the plastics are still hard, they manage to feel upscale compared to the X. The design is more bland, not as "busy" as inside the X. The seats in the STI have practically no side bolsters on the bottom cushion. But they're comfortable as hell, far better than the crap Subaru was giving us in 04-07. After sitting in the X seats, I thought "Ahhhhhhh wonderful" after dropping into the STI seat. This is not what I expected to happen before I left this morning to see the X.

From the outside the X kicks ***. It doesn't feel as big in person as it looks in pictures. It actually pulls off the big-gaping-mouth look with good success in my opinion. The STI ... well, it's a hatch. A wagon, even. And at first glance most people will say "Mazda" if they say anything at all. So if I were making my decision purely on looks, I'd have to go with the X.

So who knows. I thought the STI was out of contention for my dollars because it's a wagon now. I figured I'd go look at both, and confirm that the X is what I want. But the STI surprised me. It's now back in contention, and when I finally have to make a decision it's not going to be easy. In the meantime I'm going to do the only rational thing in a situation like this -- keep my '06 . I've got Recaro seats, Bilstein suspension, and over 300 whp now. I don't really need to be looking at a new STI or Evo yet, I can afford to wait and see what happens in 2009 and 2010.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the seats are a personal opinion, depending on size, and how you like to sit, because I personally think the STi seats sucked, and still suck.

I looked at the 08 Sti, and the X in depth too. I could not force myself to fork over 35k+ for the STi. It just doesn't command it.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I looked at the 08 Sti, and the X in depth too. I could not force myself to fork over 35k+ for the STi. It just doesn't command it.
An unfortunate truth about both of these cars. You're paying for performance only, in every other way these are $15K econoboxes
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootus
An unfortunate truth about both of these cars. You're paying for performance only, in every other way these are $15K econoboxes
its a very true statement.. we drive $15k cars with a $15k drivetrain

Quick Reply: Own a IX-drove a X and...WOW!