Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

JDM EVO X to get bumped to 3rd in JDM AWD battle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM EVO X to get bumped to 3rd in JDM AWD battle

Back in November Toyota’s German Chief Markus Schrick confirmed Toyota was working on several new sports cars including a replacement for the Celica, and now Japanese magazines are claiming the new model will arrive as early as next year. The new car is said to be the joint-effort of a collaboration between Toyota and Subaru and it will reportedly be offered in two different variants, a cheaper GT model and a high-performance AWD GT-Four.

The two carmakers have been sharing production facilities and swapping engineers ever since Toyota bought a stake in Subaru early last year and these new sports cars are likely to be the first to be spawned from the partnership. The cheaper GT version is supposed to have a target price of under $20,000, Japan’s Best Car reports, which agree with earlier reports claiming Toyota was working on an affordable successor to the 1980’s AE86. The GT will feature a conventional front-engine RWD layout and will be powered by a naturally aspirated 2.0L Subaru four-cylinder boxer engine.

The more expensive GT-Four, meanwhile, will come with AWD as standard and get the same 300hp turbo four as the Japanese spec Subaru Impreza STI
. According to the source, the engine in this car will be positioned closer to the firewall to help improve handling and it could also feature in-wheel electric motors to help traction.

Both cars will come in coupe and three-door hatch bodystyles and will be sourced from Subaru’s Gunma plant in Japan. No five-door hatch will be offered as Toyota and Subaru don’t want to compete with the current Impreza range.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...ade-by-subaru/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-plannin...ar-revival.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/new.../celica-redux/

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6229094/asia/s...trac/index.html

Choose your pick
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:31 PM

The new GT sounds interesting. Sounds like a huge investment on Toyota's part. Why not just make a RWD version of the tC and call it a day?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll wait till its out, its got some big shoes to fill... if it ever makes it stateside.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

we need a true RWD turbocharged sport compact car..
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

i knew this was coming cause Toyota is trying to get back in to rallying.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

thats great news!!! ....if they could just match that EJ25 to the RWD layout that would be SWEEET!!!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Its about time Toyota decides to make sports car again.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Ive always been a big fan of the GT-Four. Nice to see that they're reviving it. Hopefully the design wont be too shabby like their current lineup.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
we need a true RWD turbocharged sport compact car..
That's what hyundai is coming out with in that Genesis Coupe i think it's called
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoundBoy4
That's what hyundai is coming out with in that Genesis Coupe i think it's called
The Genesis coupe is the size of a Mustang/G35, it is doubtful that the I4 turbo will br makeing (200-240? is there a final figure yet?) a good power to weight ratio

This car on the other hand will be much smaller, we will see how this play out
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Actually Toyotas original plan with the Subaru built sports car was to leave them both as RWD with 2 motor packages. Its in an original press release sent to the dealerships managers if my aunt can find it I will gladly scan it and post it. Then the newer release has an AWD but there is nothing about the GT being RWD but instead being AWD as well. So we will see what else comes around but I beleive they will both be AWD and just be better looking versions of the STI
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:50 PM
Account Disabled

that would be awesome if we get that in the states...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by redboosted05
Actually Toyotas original plan with the Subaru built sports car was to leave them both as RWD with 2 motor packages. Its in an original press release sent to the dealerships managers if my aunt can find it I will gladly scan it and post it. Then the newer release has an AWD but there is nothing about the GT being RWD but instead being AWD as well. So we will see what else comes around but I beleive they will both be AWD and just be better looking versions of the STI
I would love to see the press release
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds really interesting, but I'm still working hard to build up cash for an evo x or If work picks up, a gtr. That concept looking pic on the cover looks scrumptious though, if it looks anything like that and actually makes is stateside I'd have to convince wifee to buy one.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

nice! sounds interesting... hopefully soon!

Quick Reply: JDM EVO X to get bumped to 3rd in JDM AWD battle