Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First CEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in a warm climate area(arizona and it's about 75 degrees today) and my car does this to for the first ten minutes after starting for the first time of the day. then it doesnt do it anymore for the rest of the day unless the car has been sitting for 3 plus hours
Old Feb 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

****... CEL? already, WTF? i'm starting to freak out....got my X last night
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

this is one big reason i will wait for an 09 model, until the gremlins get worked out.
it always happen with first year models.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

First year , if I remember right, we had the p0300 code for like 3 years not just the first. only 170 miles on mine and no issue you guys are speaking of. TX weather has been great so for 60s and sunny.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mksevo
First year , if I remember right, we had the p0300 code for like 3 years not just the first. only 170 miles on mine and no issue you guys are speaking of. TX weather has been great so for 60s and sunny.
Yea, some guys are lucky..some guys aren't. I am still waiting for that P0300 code to trip!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

I rarely get the idle issue. 1300 miles on my X. I've run the car hard many times with no CEL lights, this includes 2 dyno runs by GST and Speed Element.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I believe what you are seeing is the cold start condition when the car first starts up. All cars run in a cold start when the ignition is first turned on, but the new X seems to be slower coming out of this condition when the car is already warm. However, I havent had any stalling or rough running per se, but I have witnessed the rapid RPM movements.
No, the car runs fine on cold start up. The idle is a little higher as it should be but very steady. The issue is after the car is hot and I stop to run an errand and re-start the car after 5-10 minutes. The idle jumps around from 500-1000 and then the car sometimes dies. It doesn't happen consistently. Sometimes it idles smoothly when hot. I'm friends with the owner of the dealership so I'll wait to see them on Monday. I'm sure they'll be interested to try their new CAN scanners out.

Does anyone know if the CAN bus provides more insight than OBD?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unowned
I rarely get the idle issue. 1300 miles on my X. I've run the car hard many times with no CEL lights, this includes 2 dyno runs by GST and Speed Element.
Like you said you rarely get this, so you are saying you too had this issue with your EVO-X?
Not like I get it every single time, Just want to have some idea of how many people had this happening to them.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotevo?
****... CEL? already, WTF? i'm starting to freak out....got my X last night

People dont need to freak out about a CEL. this is not p300
Im sure he has the CEL because he stalled his car.
You can do that to the EVO-8 and 9. You would need to force a stall.
But if you ever stalled your car before in a EV0-8-9 you sometime get a CEL.
after a few restart, it just goes away by it self.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

hey guys this is really retarded and not sure if you want to test it out. when you are in idle with the hand brake pulled up. turn your steering wheel a bit and see if the motor revs up. My X does that, really bizarre.

anyway about your dip during idle, i get it also but not as severe. have you noticed any drop in power or hesitation during redline pulls?

anyhow, i think i have a quick easy fix for the problem, i just did it yesterday and it's been working like a champ. PM for more info

nebo
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by unowned

hey unowned,

i am making about 240-245WHP right now with 2 simple mods and no hesitation at the high end. Actually for the time being, if you want to fix the hestitation on the top end, it's one quick easy fix. PM me for more info.

nebo
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by delkat
I through a CEL tonight after about 550 miles on the X. I really haven't run the car hard because of the break in period.

I noticed the idle jumping aroung from 500-1K rpm when I would restart the car warm the other day. It even stalled a couple of times after about 5-10 seconds of running when the idle was jumping around. I'm not sure what's up but I'll probably have to wait until Monday to find out.

Has anyone experienced this erratic idle? Maybe it's just a bad tank of gas.
I haven't gotten a CEL yet, but I have had this erratic idle. I came off the interstate directly to a stoplight and got this, kind of like the car had big cams. The car is 100% stock. I let it do this for about 10 seconds, then it got annoying and I turned left at the green light. I had to stop about a quarter mile later for another light and the symptom was gone.

It did it once earlier too on the trip back from Cali a couple weeks ago, but not as bad. Blip the throttle and it will find itself. I suspect there will be a dealer reflash for this before too long. I've only had it twice in 3200 miles, but its good to talk about stuff like this so we can figure out what is going on.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:19 PM

Here we go again. SES Fun!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

It's a new platform guys, you can typically expect a few kinks, Im sure it will all get worked out.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I made it to the dealer today and the CEL is P1320 - Retard Ignition Timing Fail. As you know catalytic converters don't do much when they are cold so evidently the new ECU is suppose to retart the timing when the water temp is between 45 and 97 degrees F (cold start up). This creates more heat in the cylinder and heats the cat up faster. If the ECU senses less than 3 degrees of retard for more than 10 seconds, it throws a P1320.

The tech wasn't sure what was causing this so he called Mitsu central intelligence (?) and they were aware of the issue. It's a false CEL and a known problem. They will be shipping a re-flash in mid April to fix it. It seems to get triggered when you turn the key on but don't start the vehicle or some sequence of ignition key events.

As for the erratic idle issue, I haven't seen that for a couple of days and the tech said Mitsu hadn't heard of it and didn't think it was related to the P1320.

Quick Reply: First CEL