Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First CEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya i just got my x few days ago and i had the same CEL code. they said the ecu reflash will take care of it which said prior, in april. but than again i started launching my car at 150miles on it. hard launches too :0
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Your factory computer probably needs a factory reflash! My aunt bough the new lancer not evo x but the gts and her car would start jump around and die and then it just stopped starting after a little of this. Mitsubishi had to tow the car to their shop and reflash it this may be the same problem wih the X a TSB was later issued for this problem with the regular lancers. Ahh the cost of buying a first year production!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delkat
I made it to the dealer today and the CEL is P1320 - Retard Ignition Timing Fail. As you know catalytic converters don't do much when they are cold so evidently the new ECU is suppose to retart the timing when the water temp is between 45 and 97 degrees F (cold start up). This creates more heat in the cylinder and heats the cat up faster. If the ECU senses less than 3 degrees of retard for more than 10 seconds, it throws a P1320.

The tech wasn't sure what was causing this so he called Mitsu central intelligence (?) and they were aware of the issue. It's a false CEL and a known problem. They will be shipping a re-flash in mid April to fix it. It seems to get triggered when you turn the key on but don't start the vehicle or some sequence of ignition key events.

As for the erratic idle issue, I haven't seen that for a couple of days and the tech said Mitsu hadn't heard of it and didn't think it was related to the P1320.
Any New update from your Dealer yet?
Im still getting The erratic idle from time to time. It very embarrassing when your car stall at a stop light,
With the EVO-X you have alot of people looking at your car.
I know they all sit there and say "that guy has a Bad *** car, to bad he doesnt know how to drive it .

Last edited by thuan; Feb 20, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im starting to think there are some weird things going on with the ECU. While driving down the highway, I put the clutch in to coast for a second and noticed my RPM's were rapidly, and I mean instantly, jumping between 500 and 1500. I couldnt hear the motor changing pitch, and the needle was just bouncing back and forth very quickly. I released the clutch, and disengaged, and it did it again. I can reproduce this occasionally, but not consistently. Anyone else seeing this activity?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

I'm still getting the erratic idle/stalling occasionally. The dealer didn't think that was related to the CEL 1320. The people they talked to at Mitsu didn't seem to know anything about the idle issue.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Im starting to think there are some weird things going on with the ECU. While driving down the highway, I put the clutch in to coast for a second and noticed my RPM's were rapidly, and I mean instantly, jumping between 500 and 1500. I couldnt hear the motor changing pitch, and the needle was just bouncing back and forth very quickly. I released the clutch, and disengaged, and it did it again. I can reproduce this occasionally, but not consistently. Anyone else seeing this activity?
Yea its not consistent at all, Same thing happen to me to, It can happen anywhere
and only after the car is warm. Some time I dont get it for a few days,but then some days it happens a few times.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

I get the erratic idle. But it only stalled out on me just 1 time so far (knock on wood) the many times I've already have the X out and I am 4 miles from being at 1000K-mi. Looking forward to this ecu reflash in April.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

The Service guys at my dealership, said MMC have the flash allready
But they can not release it until the Government approve it or something along that line. Reflashing the ECU changes vehicle emissions so that is why we have to wait a few month. Is this true, or my Tec Guys giving me BullS***?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

^That might be true, although it shouldn't take this long. I am going to be picking mine up within the next few days I hope (my dealer tells me the car has been shipped, just waiting for arrival), and I am hoping that mine doesn't hav these problems, but then again it doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal. Car still drives fine and the reflash will fix all of this. The mechanical components working properly is what I care about the most. Electronics are easier to fix, and less of a headache.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

PDXEvo: i don't know how rpm is measured in the X, but obviously whatever sensor measures it is mis-reading if there is no change in engine pitch and the rpm readings change as quickly as you say. i would tell the stealership to replace it of course...but if you can't reproduce it on command, be prepared for a headache...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

im getting this in addition to stutters after 6k rpms.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

looks like we all have this issue. i have 3800+ miles on my car, happens to me about once a day after getting off a freeway (30-45 minutes of 70-80mph driving), i just blip the throttle and all is well. car stalled once at a light one of the first times it happened.

pdx - ive seen that issue, it seems the same as the idle on, youre just moving when it happens.

mitsumanny - the stutter at over 6k is normal too cause the car is running rich. seems to happen most in 3rd and 4th.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nebolic
hey guys this is really retarded and not sure if you want to test it out. when you are in idle with the hand brake pulled up. turn your steering wheel a bit and see if the motor revs up. My X does that, really bizarre.

anyway about your dip during idle, i get it also but not as severe. have you noticed any drop in power or hesitation during redline pulls?

anyhow, i think i have a quick easy fix for the problem, i just did it yesterday and it's been working like a champ. PM for more info

nebo
Why make people do a PM to find out your secret information? You could just say something like: "For my car, this series of voodoo incantations seems to fix my problems, although it may not work for you.", and then explain the voodoo.

It just seems kind of weird that a possible fix would be hidden behind a PM.

strike
Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

^^^knowledge is power and he has it...LOL
Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

The studdering you may be feeling in the high rpms is a result of your electronic throttle (drive by wire) being all funky in the high rpms. People who have dyno'd the X's have noticed this. I'm thinking that that this could be related to the idle issue. But then again it could be just an idle adjustment issue or the new bigger injectors not being tuned properly @ idle. I'm by no means an expert, just my opinion. You guys should stop freaking out it shouldn't be hard to fix.

Quick Reply: First CEL