Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X at the strip.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol yea mods deleted it... Like the mod told me in my warning i must have a reading disabilaty..... lol sorry didnt look at location.... my apologize

ps thanks for the science lesson im aware of those facts.. didnt look at location
Old Feb 9, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
just make sure guys you know it , the turbo charged engine has less negative effect in elevation changes the the N/a engines. so the performance dropp will be less.
"well I observed a Evo X GSR go 14.1 at 98 tonight at LVMS.
This is about what the Evo 9's are doing stock here in town at our elevation.
(3000 asl at LVMS)
My 03 Evo 8 ran a best of 13.8 at 97 when completely stock."

one thing i would like to ask:
you telling the stock 8 runs faster then the stock 9, right?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just proving a point, I wasn't trying to be condescending. It's just that it was made quite clear that we were talking about high elevation 1/4 mile times and you still contested the times, so I thought I would go "weird science" on ya.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
just make sure guys you know it , the turbo charged engine has less negative effect in elevation changes the the N/a engines. so the performance dropp will be less.
(3000 asl at LVMS)

no truthfully out here in vegas and the crap DA/fuel/ and no humidity= garbage times.

The fastest ive heard of a stock 9 going out here is 13.6.
My completly stock 03 evo 8 went 13.8 at 97.
stock Evo 9's are trapping about 98-100.
the stock X just went 14.1 at 98. (If me and another Evo owner had to guess we thought he pulled a high 1.9 60' that run)
So there are the facts.
It pretty much gets down the track exactly how all the other evos have here to my surprise.
As far as I am concerned it is as fast as the 8 and maybe slightly slower than the 9 .slightly if at all.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

(3000 asl at LVMS)

also you still are lacking the volume of air that you would at sea level. Therefore you will still only be pushing the volume of air that is available.
21PSI at sea level is very different 21PSI at 3000 asl.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Very true man. The O2 density is completely different at any altitude. If it wasnt, then climbing K2 wouldn't be so tough.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchappy
no truthfully out here in vegas and the crap DA/fuel/ and no humidity= garbage times.

The fastest ive heard of a stock 9 going out here is 13.6.
My completly stock 03 evo 8 went 13.8 at 97.
stock Evo 9's are trapping about 98-100.
the stock X just went 14.1 at 98. (If me and another Evo owner had to guess we thought he pulled a high 1.9 60' that run)
So there are the facts.
It pretty much gets down the track exactly how all the other evos have here to my surprise.
As far as I am concerned it is as fast as the 8 and maybe slightly slower than the 9 .slightly if at all.

the dry air hold more oxigen then the humid. The tempeture is what probably killing the air quality .

The dry aprox 70 farenheit 3000 asl air is almost a same for the engine, then the close to 100% /tropical, florida/ 90 farenheit at sea level. I hope you know that.

Its not that simple just go higher and go lesser. eventualy it will but 3000 is not that dramatic , specially with ECU and turbo. THis level changes are more harsh when you gut carburator and NA. engine. That is why was a big deal the PIkes Peak hill climb.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

also you still are lacking the volume of air that you would at sea level. Therefore you will still only be pushing the volume of air that is available.
21PSI at sea level is very different 21PSI at 3000 asl.
21 PSI is 21 PSI, period.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

the dry air hold more oxigen then the humid. The tempeture is what probably killing the air quality .

The dry aprox 70 farenheit 3000 asl air is almost a same for the engine, then the close to 100% /tropical, florida/ 90 farenheit at sea level. I hope you know that.

Its not that simple just go higher and go lesser. eventualy it will but 3000 is not that dramatic , specially with ECU and turbo. THis level changes are more harsh when you gut carburator and NA. engine. That is why was a big deal the PIkes Peak hill climb.

honestly everything you just said is completely wrong sir.
I am not going to fight with someone who doesnt know anything about this subject and is fabricating facts without providing proof.
I would first start by fixing the grammar errors in your post before trying to dupe someone who has been around the subject at hand for years.(private pilot)
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

And no humid air holds technically more OXYGEN because it is denser.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

21 PSI is 21 PSI, period.
True. But he probably meant psig. 21 psig at STP will be 35.696 psi at sea level and 34.17 psi at 3000 ft ASL.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, outside of all the science lessons. Would it be safe to say that a stock X is approximately .2 seconds slower than a stock VIII? Based on your first post, it seems to be around there which would be consistent with the times the magazines have posted. Just curious if you feel that's accurate.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

And no humid air holds technically more OXYGEN because it is denser.
I think you need to rethink your answer . Dry air is more dense than humid air. Water molecule weights less than oxygen and nitrogen which is found in the atmosphere. science 101
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:51 PM

i wanna see these things all built and #s then
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, humid air actually has a nice benefit of cooling the air charge, so it actually has a beneficial effect on hp. It's almost like natural water injection, cooling the intake charge. So robevo, your statement was not correct about humid air at sea level making about the same power as dry air at 3000 ft above sea level. Oxygen content is more of an important part of the equation than humidy, and altitude greatly affects oxygen content and thus power. Also, whatever psi your car is tuned to hit at sea level doesn't matter, it won't hit that much at high elevation. I will site as an example that "21 psi is 21 psi" argument that you were having with someone else, and hopefully this will explain, yet again, why 21 psi at sea level won't produce 21 psi at high elevation. For example, in Colorado, at 6000 ft above sea level, you produce about 2-3 psi less boost on the same wastegate duty cycle mapping than what you would hit at sea level. Couple this with the fact that the air being so much thinner also limits the overall power of the motor, the turbo's compression efficiency put aside, and the 1/4 mile times will be a lot slower. I don't really understand why this is so hard for you to comprehend. This is the second time I, and many others who have chimed, have had to explain this to you. There will not be a third, as if you still won't accept this and admit that you are wrong, then I just won't even bother talking to you anymore. I am trying to help you, I really am, but if you won't take it, then oh well

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 10, 2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: to be nice