Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X at the strip.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, humid air actually has a nice benefit of cooling the air charge, so it actually has a beneficial effect on hp. It's almost like natural water injection, cooling the intake charge. So robevo, your statement was not correct about humid air at sea level making about the same power as dry air at 3000 ft above sea level. Oxygen content is more of an important part of the equation than humidy, and altitude greatly affects oxygen content and thus power. Also, whatever psi your car is tuned to hit at sea level doesn't matter, it won't hit that much at high elevation. I will site as an example that "21 psi is 21 psi" argument that you were having with someone else, and hopefully this will explain, yet again, why 21 psi at sea level won't produce 21 psi at high elevation. For example, in Colorado, at 6000 ft above sea level, you produce about 2-3 psi less boost on the same wastegate duty cycle mapping than what you would hit at sea level. Couple this with the fact that the air being so much thinner also limits the overall power of the motor, the turbo's compression efficiency put aside, and the 1/4 mile times will be a lot slower. I don't really understand why this is so hard for you to comprehend. This is the second time I, and many others who have chimed, have had to explain this to you. There will not be a third, as if you still won't accept this and admit that you are wrong, then I just won't even bother talking to you anymore. I am trying to help you, I really am, but if you won't take it, then oh well
I can't answer if it cools or not but if the oxygen content is less with humid air, how would it benefit when you have less oxygen?? I live in Ft lauderdale and my car sucks when it is humid. I just don't understand that logic
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Well, humid air actually has a nice benefit of cooling the air charge, so it actually has a beneficial effect on hp. It's almost like natural water injection, cooling the intake charge.
This is incorrect. Air with a lot of water vapor (humidity) is less dense than air with little water vapor. This is because water is lighter than nitrogen and oxygen. The denser the charge, the more power. Look it up in wikipedia.

Oxygen content is more of an important part of the equation than humidy, and altitude greatly affects oxygen content and thus power. Also, whatever psi your car is tuned to hit at sea level doesn't matter, it won't hit that much at high elevation. I will site as an example that "21 psi is 21 psi" argument that you were having with someone else, and hopefully this will explain, yet again, why 21 psi at sea level won't produce 21 psi at high elevation. For example, in Colorado, at 6000 ft above sea level, you produce about 2-3 psi less boost on the same wastegate duty cycle mapping than what you would hit at sea level. Couple this with the fact that the air being so much thinner also limits the overall power of the motor, the turbo's compression efficiency put aside, and the 1/4 mile times will be a lot slower.
This is correct!

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 10, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the level of humidity and the ambient temperature. For example it is scientifically proven that 100% humid air contains about 3-4% less oxygen than dry air at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but only about 0.4% less at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, humid air cools the incoming air charge a lot like water injection does, offsetting the fact that humid air may have slightly less oxygen content. Since colder air has more oxygen content than hot air, the humidity cooling the air charge can bring back some oxygen density back into the air. The benefits of humid air are much more prevelant on a turbo charged car, as compression of air produces heat as a byproduct. Either way, it's still far better horsepower making air than dry air at 5000 ft above sea level. BTW, the reason that when it's humid your car feels like it makes less power is probably more to do with the fact that frequently when it's humid in florida, it's also hot. The ambient temperature probably has more to do with your power loss than the humidity.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 10, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

It depends on the level of humidity and the ambient temperature, but humid air cools the incoming air charge a lot like water injection does, offsetting the fact that humid air may have slightly less oxygen content. Since colder air has more oxygen content than hot air, the humidity cooling the air charge can bring back some oxygen density back into the air. It's a lot like licking your finger and then blowing on it. It feels colder right? Same concept applies. Either way, it's still far better horsepower making air than dry air at 5000 ft above sea level. BTW, the reason that when it's humid your car feels like it makes less power is probably more to do with the fact that frequently when it's humid in florida, it's also hot. The ambient temperature probably has more to do with your power loss than the humidity.
Not always, but what ever I guess
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I added info to my earlier post to better prove my point.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on the level of humidity and the ambient temperature. For example it is scientifically proven that 100% humid air contains about 3-4% less oxygen than dry air at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but only about 0.4% less at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, humid air cools the incoming air charge a lot like water injection does, offsetting the fact that humid air may have slightly less oxygen content. Since colder air has more oxygen content than hot air, the humidity cooling the air charge can bring back some oxygen density back into the air. The benefits of humid air are much more prevelant on a turbo charged car, as compression of air produces heat as a byproduct. Either way, it's still far better horsepower making air than dry air at 5000 ft above sea level. BTW, the reason that when it's humid your car feels like it makes less power is probably more to do with the fact that frequently when it's humid in florida, it's also hot. The ambient temperature probably has more to do with your power loss than the humidity.
And that is almost always the case which is the reason why it's a moot point.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Only on the internet could we spend almost a full page of posts, that are supposed to be dedicated to drag racing, to humidity and O2 content. You guys are funny.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

lol, that's true. let's get back on topic.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

basically I feel an 8 and 10 are really going to run identical #'s stock
they are both trapping around 98 here stock.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"The benefits of humid air are much more prevelant on a turbo charged car, as compression of air produces heat as a byproduct. Either way, it's still far better horsepower making air than dry air at 5000 ft above sea level."
first part, it is a same for less dense air too... so that is why i brough it up the 3000 asl wich is not too drastic for the turbo charged cars, for the same reason . The fact is the less dense air has better compression then humid since the water molecules are bigger then oxigen. so the dry air is easyer to compress.
dont change the subject we talk about 3000 asl not 5000.
well ...
"Since colder air has more oxygen content than hot air, the humidity cooling the air charge can bring back some oxygen density back into the air. The benefits of humid air are much more prevelant on a turbo charged car, as compression of air produces heat as a byproduct. "

i dont know how you get to this point... if you have X amount of air with the % of oxigen thats not will change the air oxigen % when you suck it thru the turbo... so the x amount of air hold x% oxigen ang going thru the turbo will compressed . But the more dense air will compressed too so the air quality difference will remain a same.

the fact is :
humid air hold less oxigen period.
Hot air hold less oxigen period.
The mix hold much less oxigen period. extra negative effect for the humid air is a carburator icing wich is we dont care since we are injected./ just an extra info for fun or for education/ So the mixture of both can produce very poor air quality. Some times very close as 3000 asl. Not 5000 that is too much difference from the begin with.

So what i said before; the 3000 above sea level elevation have effect on performance, if you got the SAME condition in sea level. Matter a fact every 1000 feet will measurable change, IF we always got the same tempeture and humidity. Then you can blame the leaner air. But this is not always true. i dont wanna go too deep into this ,i always hated weather./ like inverted airtempeture etc./

the fact is around 3000 asl you can have very close conditions like at sea level in bad weather . Like in vegas at night probably if you run 29.92 inhg and around 70-72 farenheit. is much better air quality then Florida 100% humidity and 90 and above air tempeture.
if anybody want to go deeper then you can go any aviation school to learn it and they will explaint for you.
Or you can get some real basic info from the net but no really explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure
http://avc.comm.nsdlib.org/cgi-bin/w...e_And_Humidity

Over 5000 asl is no chance to get the same close call then 3000 asl. Over 4000- 5000 asl is defenietly your car is suffering from oxigen.
But at sea level can simular condition occur, like around 3000 asl . And that is my point here.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 11, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have to calculate the power that my engines will be able to produce and figure out how much power is required for my helicopter in specific regimes each day based off of the temp, dew point, density altitude, and pressure altitude. I run two turbine engines in my helicopter. If there is more humidity in the air... we will have less power available along with other things being less efficient. Humidity is bad... and oxygen is spelled with a y by the way.

Here are some definitions and equations for all my friends.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Only on the internet could we spend almost a full page of posts, that are supposed to be dedicated to drag racing, to humidity and O2 content. You guys are funny.
it is related to the a/f ratio ... and that is a major thing for racing don't you agree?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I have to calculate the power that my engines will be able to produce and figure out how much power is required for my helicopter in specific regimes each day based off of the temp, dew point, density altitude, and pressure altitude. I run two turbine engines in my helicopter. If there is more humidity in the air... we will have less power available along with other things being less efficient. Humidity is bad... and oxygen is spelled with a y by the way.

Here are some definitions and equations for all my friends.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude
hey i have a gyroplane! The RAF 2000. But i had 80 hours in R22 and R44 Raven ,Schweitzer 300 / combined/
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Because one unknown guy with an unknown amount of skill driving an unknown Evo X got a time at the dragstrip that we don't even know the full details of. There's not a lot to talk about .
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
hey i have a gyroplane! The RAF 2000. But i had 80 hours in R22 and R44 Raven ,Schweitzer 300 / combined/
I just looked at the RAF 2000... looks pretty damn cool. That little sucker looks fun. I wish we could autorotate like that thing can. Keep the rotor side up. (You're a crazy man)