Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I have seen the light, the EVO X is growing on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boostez, I don't want to go off topic, but the gt-r doesn't have ayc and the sawc system like the evo. It's still a very advanced awd system, but it's more like the sti in that the awd system is more mechanically simple and doesn't have the electronic tid bits that the evo has. It is the better car, no doubt about, for 70000 it ought to be. I'm just saying that the evo's awd system is more advanced than a lot of the world's best exotics, including the skyline. Now back on topic. Matter of fact, why are we even talking about the gt-r?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Boostez, I don't want to go off topic, but the gt-r doesn't have ayc and the sawc system like the evo. It's still a very advanced awd system, but it's more like the sti in that the awd system is more mechanically simple and doesn't have the electronic tid bits that the evo has. It is the better car, no doubt about, for 70000 it ought to be. I'm just saying that the evo's awd system is more advanced than a lot of the world's best exotics, including the skyline. Now back on topic. Matter of fact, why are we even talking about the gt-r?
Originally Posted by Motortrend
Details on the GT-R's AWD system aren't as clear. Though it may be called an updated version of the famed ATTESSA-ETS system found in previous GT-Rs, sources indicate the similarity would be in name only. Unlike the old system, which was based primarily on mechanical feedback, the new one uses electronic sensors and hydraulically actuated clutches, similar to those of the Haldex 4 system used by Saab and VW/Audi. What we do know is that yaw-rate feedback control, the ability to safely manage slip angle, has been built into the GT-R's AWD system and that front to rear torque split is as much as 2:98 at launch, to a maximum of 50:50.
Source here

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

My trusty WRX now has 71K on it. I Just dont keep cars longer than 3-4 years so I am in about the same boat as alot of upgraders. I want it all of course. I want it to hanlde like porsche get the gas mileage of a hybrid and accelerate like a z06 and I need 4 seats!

the 135i is interesting but it snows here and 2wd especially rwd sucks in the snow. The 335i same problem. there is a 335xi but if you thought the X was heavy this thing adds even more. The sti is hideously ugly. While IMO it has the better interior and as I put on my flame suit beleive subaru builds more reliable cars I cant get past how much i dont want to drive a wagon. Audi's 08 TT is a nice with 2.0T because it can be chipped (50HP) and has a dsg but its FWD (gasp). The v6 audi is basically done at 250HP unless you insert tons of cash and they both are really 2 seaters.

SO really it boils down to 3 cars an 07 Sti (with horrificly short 6 speed gearing, 2 shifts to 60 yuk) the IX finding one thats not hacked or overrpriced or the X which is heavy, and generally unproven.

I just looked at the silver X with aeor. I cant handle the aero package myself ( if I wanted running boards I would buy a truck). But the car was gorgeous. So I am having the dealer looker for a silver x with only the sss option as we speak. I asked them if they were going to void my warranty if i autoxd it. Yeah the look I got was 'of course we are'. But he's "going to check on it'
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Nissan has been atributed to have one the most advanced AWD for years.

The Electronic Torque Split version off this all-wheel drive architecture was developed for usage in Nissan's north-south layout vehicles, and was first used in August 1989.

In 1995, ( R33 Skyline GT-R) Nissan introduced a new version of their ATTESA-ETS system. AND uses a 16bit microprocessor that monitors the cars movements at 100 times per second to sense traction loss by measuring the speed of each wheel via the ABS sensors. A three axis G-Sensor into an ECU, and controls both the ATTESA-ETS 4WD system and the ABS system.

ATTESA-E-TS Pro is also capable of left-and-right torque split to the rear wheels. This is done via an active rear limited-slip differential. Additionally, the ATTESA-E-TS Pro was marketed as controlling the four-wheel independent ABS braking system. This is not part of the AWD system, but the ECU makes use of the same sensors to determine wheel slip and traction.
With just a quick removal of one fuse, you are able to take the car to a 2 wheel dyno (since it converts to real wheel drive ) or take it to a drifting event.

The 2009 ,system in the GT-R , uses electronic sensors and hydraulically actuated clutches. Has a yaw-rate feedback control system to effectively manage slip angle.

The other cars that had very advanced AWD are the Porsche (959) and Acura, although not sure if the Acura can handle as much power as the others.

The only problem I see on the new GT-R is that Nissan is making sure tuners can't access their CPU. Vs the older Skyline that was able to handle 1000 hp with just turbo upgrades.

I too want to buy the new GT-R, if Ihad the money.
The Evo X still needs to show a little more skin...ie leather, and loose a few pounds, unless the MR comes with more power.

Last edited by supersupra; Feb 10, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I am actually buying a gtr also, had a 03 evo 8...

Alot of guys didnt like the new R35 because they were in love with the R 34.... An yes the RB26

Once you look at the new VR38 and see the potential as a fast car without sacrificing liveability , you see what a car should be

If I wasnt getting the GTR I would be buying a Evo mr... I'll still try to get one in a year or so after the gtr as a DD

The evo has a special place in my heart and for everyone who can't let go, you don't have to... But with all the new features that aren't just "posh" but are become standards in the new automotive world ... Ie..Cleaner more efficient engines, safer chassies, side cutain airbags, tpms, Bluetooth ect...

The new evo's have ayc and responds well to mods... Do I care that the new gtr may not do 1000hp on the stock block? No, I don't DRAG race ... If you drag race these really aren't the gtr or evo's strong suite or purpose

Not that they can't do them well

Last edited by Shahul X; Feb 9, 2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Dude, upgrading is the best part I love adding stuff to my car and seeing what it does!

Great write-up Nate. Humans tend to react with emotion first, then logic secondly, I think that sums up what you are saying pretty well. Mitsu makes some amazing cars, that is for sure. Out of curiosity, is everyone on the GT-R forums wondering if the motor will do 1000 WHP, and until it does they think it sucks? I would go read it, but I get my fill of bs here already so I have no room for it

Thank you and you are 100% correct about my reactions. I have been swayed and I just wanted to share my thoughts with others. I have always loved this site and probably will never stop reading and posting here.

To answer your question, YES they are arguing about the 1000hp question. It truly appears to be the same as on this site in that the new owners don't really care if it make 1000+hp. The older Gen owners are mad about the departure from their highly proven platform(s) R32/R33/R34/.

For me personally, my GT-R will maybe be slightly modded though, it will be many years after others have done all of the leg work and gone through that trials and tribulations of tuning. Then I will take the easiest and most proven path to attain whatever my goals are at that time.

I hope that I answered your questions.

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Feb 9, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
This is a very honest write up. i like it.
thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Thanks, I am glad that you took something from my post.

Cheers,

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@UspMotorsports
Just remember as everyone is waiting for the price to come down it wont.. I have seen 1000 posts of people that will wait for the price to come down on the GTR.. i have feeling there will a premium for the car until the used car market starts to get flooded with them..
I respectfully disagree, Nissan is doing a lot to insure that the mark-ups don't get too out of hand. Like in other markets people that want things first usually pay a high premium for getting that right.

But with all of the checks and balances that Nissan has put into place to prevent the mark-ups, the prices will come down after a few months. If it is a matter of supply and demand then Nissan has already stated that they are ready to up the production numbers to meet the need. They aren't even allowing cars salesmen to sell these cars they are making the upper management deal directly with the customers to avoid the greedy salesman.

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Feb 9, 2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nastyevo8
I will be buying a GT-R, but I will wait at least a year for the price to come down. So for the time being I am going to buy a Evo X.
Be patient the prices will come down.

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I thinks that you would be surprised at the improvements that have been made to the new GT-R.

But there is no denying that the EVO has an awesome streamlined AWD system that makes the car perform greater than the sum of its parts. I think that they both bring great improvements "generation after generation". I love both and wish that I could justify owning both.

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate

For me personally, ,my GT-R will maybe be slightly modded though, it will be many years after others have done all of the leg work and gone through that trials and tribulations of tuning. Then I will take the easiest and most proven path to attain whatever my goals are at that time.

I hope that I answered your questions.

-Nate
You sure did man. I totally agree with your path for upgrades. I am taking the same route this time around. I may work with some vendors to create some new parts, but I dont really want to run stuff full time until I see the best, and most efficient path. Ill let everyone else beta test this time.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
You sure did man. I totally agree with your path for upgrades. I am taking the same route this time around. I may work with some vendors to create some new parts, but I dont really want to run stuff full time until I see the best, and most efficient path. Ill let everyone else beta test this time.

Great minds think alike.

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

we aren't arguing about 1000hp anything on the gtr site I'm on
Old Feb 9, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shahul X
we aren't arguing about 1000hp anything on the gtr site I'm on

Which one are you on? There are several forums, mostly in the UK and in Japan.

Also, it appears that after the numbers that the new GT-R is putting up on the tracks and in the tests that the arguments have all but died.

Do a few searches and you will see what I am talking about.

Cheers,

-Nate
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I will be picking one up in its gen two release. I love my evo but this car will fill my dreams.

Quick Reply: I have seen the light, the EVO X is growing on me!!!