Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gravel+evox= new paint job

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8luva
3M the whole car at place that will put a lifetime warranty on the work... A buddy of mine did this on his 05 STI and he is getting the clear bra replaced under warranty because its getting dull (I couldnt really tell). Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, every 3 years get a new clear bra put on. If i ever get my evo re-painted or buy a new one, the first stop is at the body shop to get the clear bra put on, it works pretty well, cept for it starting to dull in 3 years, but hey, thats what the warranty is for!
That was exactly what i was thinking lol
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

why not right? brand new car, keep it looking good
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
I wonder if Mitsubishi will cover it under warranty?
LOL... dont think so.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Cheap paint = more profit
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

evos had the same problem in 03 on the front of the rear 1/4 panel. For 04, they put a clear piece of tape on it to protect it
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

With a problem like that, i'm putting my checkbook back in my pocket for now.

Plus the stealerships around here wont let me even test drive one without putting a $500 deposit down first.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think any car would be able to survive what happened in the OP situation. However, german cars seem to be leaps higher in terms of paint quality. jap cars just don't know what they are doing.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:06 PM

The paint should not fail like that. Did the body shop say anything about the factory paint? Type of paint? # coats?

Mitsu may have changed up formulas, got a bad batch, or made an application error. Honda had problems in the US when they went from solvent to water based paints.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitsubishis in general are known for having poor paint jobs...the Evo especially...just do a search on EvoM and you'll find all kinds of complaints about the paint job on the VIII and IX. My IX had rock chips all over the front bumper in 10 months of owning it. The Audi that I owned before my Evo had hardly any rock chips in over 1 year of owning that car. I drove the same route to/from work (95% of the miles on the cars) in both cars. Mitsu just doesn't spend the right amount of money to provide a superior paint job that will withstand the daily road debris. What happened to the OP doesn't surprise me or what is happening to Noize's car. Seems like typical Mitsu paint.

Sorry that it's happening because it just shouldn't be that way on a "halo" $35K car.

Last edited by atombomb33; Feb 18, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks.At least your car insurance covered the paint job.My younger brother had a 92 3000GT and a 97 and both were red and both the cars paint ended up fading really bad.He ended up having to repaint both cars.I agree mistsubishi's paint is not as good as it should be.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
i dont think any car would be able to survive what happened in the OP situation. However, german cars seem to be leaps higher in terms of paint quality. jap cars just don't know what they are doing.
Exactly so...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Mitsubishis in general are known for having poor paint jobs...the Evo especially...just do a search on EvoM and you'll find all kinds of complaints about the paint job on the VIII and IX. My IX had rock chips all over the front bumper in 10 months of owning it. The Audi that I owned before my Evo had hardly any rock chips in over 1 year of owning that car. I drove the same route to/from work (95% of the miles on the cars) in both cars. Mitsu just doesn't spend the right amount of money to provide a superior paint job that will withstand the daily road debris. What happened to the OP doesn't surprise me or what is happening to Noize's car. Seems like typical Mitsu paint.

Sorry that it's happening because it just shouldn't be that way on a "halo" $35K car.
They had great paint on their old Diamante luxury line but that is dead now..LOL
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:10 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru is having the same problem on the 08 STi's
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1429111
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Its always good to wait a few years when new model platforms come out. Problems and issues with the new design always seem to be treated from the factory by then.

My honda fit had paint peeling from the contact point where the bumpers meet the fenders. It was covered under warrenty and I am sure mitsubishi will cover it as well.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
Subaru is having the same problem on the 08 STi's
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1429111
Thanks for posting. At least Subaru is "showing an interest" as the guy states and is looking at it. Seems like he might get it covered under warranty.

I wonder if Mitsu will follow suit and cover this under warranty? But, knowing Mitsu I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Gravel+evox= new paint job