Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x launching

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
There is nothing wrong with what I said dude. I just didn't communicate my thoughts well. I've been driving and launching this car for years.

I slipped the clutch just as you said, and you are correct if you launch at fairly low rpms (4k-5k). Slipping the clutch is ideal in this case since you'll need the wheels to start rolling first.

As you desire to launch in the upper rpm band, your foot is simply not fast enough to slip the clutch without burning the **** out of it!! Period!! I launch my car at 6k to get the BEST 60' foot acceleration I can, and the time window from slipping to full release is too small for my coordination. Dumping the clutch then is pretty much the only way to not burn the clutch up. Do you risk shock to the drivetrain? Yes. Could it break? Yes. Could it be ok? Yes. It all depends on the condition of your tranny and drivetrain system.

I dumped my stock clutch and all it did was smoke. The torque was too great which is the reason I said use an aftermarket clutch (not race pressure plate). You will ensure proper grip.

Now, on a sticky track? You MUST slip the clutch because (if you don't change your tire pressure or your 2-step limit) the car will bog anyway at 6k and that's not very good for the tranny.

-M
I don't agree with this statement at all seeing as its more opinionated than factual. I regularly launched my car at the track using the quick slip method utilizing a 6Krpm 2-step building about 14lbs of boost off the line. And yes this was with an aftermarket clutch. So my foot was fast enough.

I also have side stepped the stock clutch on stock power and got that nasty burning clutch smell. I learned how to quick slip and knocked off 1.6 60 foots and low 1.7s with this method on the same stock clutch with a Buschur Stage 4.

Like I said previously, I rather have a $700 clutch burn up (ACT for example) than destroy a transfer case or a transmission and would never tell someone to side step their aftermarket clutch equipped EVO.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
I don't agree with this statement at all seeing as its more opinionated than factual. I regularly launched my car at the track using the quick slip method utilizing a 6Krpm 2-step building about 14lbs of boost off the line. And yes this was with an aftermarket clutch. So my foot was fast enough.

I also have side stepped the stock clutch on stock power and got that nasty burning clutch smell. I learned how to quick slip and knocked off 1.6 60 foots and low 1.7s with this method on the same stock clutch with a Buschur Stage 4.

Like I said previously, I rather have a $700 clutch burn up (ACT for example) than destroy a transfer case or a transmission and would never tell someone to side step their aftermarket clutch equipped EVO.
except that would be a $2,000 clutch for me
ppl who are dumping clutches on evo's should be driving honda's
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzo
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT listen to this man's advice at all. Doing that will destroy drive train components. I had a friend in Vegas side step his clutch at the drag strip and all it took was one launch to destroy his transfer case.

Learn the quick slip method and let the clutch take the brunt of the punishment. If drag racing is your thing, learn to set aside some cash for clutches.
+1, if you wanna destroy the drivetrain then by all means dump the crap out of it.

Learn to slip it, that the best way to go. Paying 500 bucks for a clutch versus 1000 for a basic tranny rebuild and/or another g for the TC
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Quick-slip it like you would PIITB.

Just dump it with a stock clutch > >

Just dump it with an aftermarket clutch > >
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

To each his own.

My car still runs and I've never had any tranny problems.. (knock on wood)
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

^you sir just signed the death warrant on your drivetrain....
congrats!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchappy
^you sir just signed the death warrant on your drivetrain....
congrats!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
It's nothing wrong with dropping the clutch as long as it's an aftermarket one. Slipping it takes skill and to be honest - not a lot of us are fast enough to slip it correctly.
Thats exactly what not to do. If you have an aftermarket clutch and drop it you better have enough cash to get a new TC or tranny.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Its basic physics. You dump your clutch, all of that power gets INSTANTLY transferred to the AWD system. The AWD was not intended to be shocked with power like that. Its not Forza - trannys/tranny components can and most certainly will break through clutch drops.

By slipping the clutch, its not an instant shock to the tranny and although it my burn the clutch a little bit, its much cheaper to replace than a 4000+ tranny.

I thought this was common sense?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
something got to give... clutch -tires -drivetrain/any component/
who ever said they dropp the clutch and dont burned it or not slipped the tires or didn't break anything. They got no whp , or they do it once or twice or they don't tell the truth. You just cant dropp the clutch in the awd, high whp car ,if the tires are sticky. You will break something period. Or kill the clutch. That is one of the reason why the factory clutch is weak. First of all is not under warranty, and everything else is... So if something have to give that would be a clutch, it designed to do that. So it is cheaper for mitsubishi.

you can see the blue smoke coming under the evo when they lunch it right,/stock/ So no wheel spin or bugging. And that blue smoke is a clutch. So you do burn the clutch when you lunch it. The question how hard you do that.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Here is my story...

I had EVO VIII, IX, and I picked up the EVO X 3 weeks ago. And if you want your car to last you a long time without any trouble, DON'T LAUNCH THE CAR!! On my Evo VIII, I had to replace my clutch twice. Then I traded it in for EVO IX, and I immediately replaced my stock clutch with Cusco 2 disc. Well, the cluth held up fine, but I broke my transfer case. It started to leak oil and one of the gear was cracked. DON'T EVEN ASK ABOUT WARRANTY. It ended up costing me $3K for parts (Mitsubishi doesn't sell individual components, so you have to buy a whole new transfer case), and $400 for labor.

If you want to race someone, do a rolling start at around 20 mph.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
Its basic physics. You dump your clutch, all of that power gets INSTANTLY transferred to the AWD system. The AWD was not intended to be shocked with power like that. Its not Forza - trannys/tranny components can and most certainly will break through clutch drops.

By slipping the clutch, its not an instant shock to the tranny and although it my burn the clutch a little bit, its much cheaper to replace than a 4000+ tranny.

I thought this was common sense?
I think you guys are forgetting something. yes, it's physics.. but let's take a look down at the drivetrain when you dump the clutch (and when I say "dump", I don't mean having the clutch depressed all the way in and just letting it go).

The ACT street disc and pressure plate is slightly more grabbing than the stock pressure plate. I have a lightened flywheel so that really makes it spin up rapidly. Since the disc is still a stockish material, even when I dump it, there is still some slippage. Basically at 6k rpms, you have a small fraction of a second to slip the clutch (which will slip anyway at that rpm if you dump it), so you are essentially dumping it anyway. Unless you smell your clutch..

If I had a heavy duty pressure plate with an aftermarket disc, then you would be correct. Slipping it would be paramount.

Also, if I tach'd lower than 6k rpms, I'd need to slip as well.

The other thing that saves me is that my tires spin (on the street)..

At the track, I do slip it though since the ground is sooo sticky. Or I could dump it and raise the tire pressure to make the wheels spin, etc.. etc.. in any case, I guess I'm saying I know what I'm doing..
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

get a cheap awd 1st gen dsm, throw in a act2600 and practice on that. I sure beat my old eclipse like it was my red headed step child.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ ah I miss the 14B, boost controller, some 550's and a SAFC~~!~!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Does the X have a clutch line restrictor?

Quick Reply: evo x launching