Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x launching

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x launching

This is my first all wheel drive and need advice from someone you has some track time to know how to get the best launch? Im guessing you set it on rev limiter but dont kmow if you slip the clutch or just drop it.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

from the rev limiter 5000 you can just drop it and will go. no freels, at the track I had to drop my VIII at 6000 or it would bog ,the track is very sticky so it didnt spin like it does on the street. I usually drop from 5000 with just a little slip for a fast but smooth launch. PS I am still in Breakin so no hard launches yet.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Don't listen to the mksevo. To properly launch an AWD car rev it up high (at least 5k rpms) and then quickly slip the clutch. Essentially what you want to do is let the clutch out only a little bit slower than it would if you just dumped it. Dropping the clutch like mksevo advises will at best destroy your clutch and at worst cause damage to your tranny, after so many launches of course.

But if you don't mind replacing clutches then go ahead and dump the clutch whenever you want to.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porque
Don't listen to the mksevo. To properly launch an AWD car rev it up high (at least 5k rpms) and then quickly slip the clutch. Essentially what you want to do is let the clutch out only a little bit slower than it would if you just dumped it. Dropping the clutch like mksevo advises will at best destroy your clutch and at worst cause damage to your tranny, after so many launches of course.

But if you don't mind replacing clutches then go ahead and dump the clutch whenever you want to.
uuuhhh lets see, Dont listen to me but , YOU SAID THE SAME THING I SAID.
glad you can help.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
With no flashing tools available, I've read there is a stationary rev limit set at 5000rpm as it was with older (05+) Evos.

My advice? Don't launch it at all if you don't want to fry your clutch. I launched my VIII 6 times ever in 53,000 miles (all on a dragstrip), never launched the IX, and never plan on launching this car.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I know this has been hounded a thousand times but , my VIII had 38,000 miles on it. She has seen at least 5 dragstrip days, with at least 5-6 hard launches each day, the Drop clutch launch kind. Then, to many street launches to even count. I see the trend as if you do alot of back to back high rev clutch drops you will destroy your clutch. Mitsu put the 5000k rev limit because the clutch can handle this abuse without sudden failure. Every one of the road test videos I have seen you can hear them standing on the rev limiter and then dropping the clutch. You hear the cars RPMs drop and it almost sounds like its going to bog but scoots out. If you slip your clutch alot on the take off you will eat it up as well. its an art to slip the clutch, just as the car start to get rolling and then fully engage the clutch as to not bog the car. Maybe my clutch was better than other. I didt have the IX so I didnt have to fiddle with getting past the REV limiter. I am glad Noize has the reserve to never launch his car. I will be looking to buy his used car in a few years.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

It's nothing wrong with dropping the clutch as long as it's an aftermarket one. Slipping it takes skill and to be honest - not a lot of us are fast enough to slip it correctly. The higher the rpms are, the faster your foot as to be. Eventually it's almost as fast as dropping the clutch. Ever since I flashed the rev limiter on my car, I've done clutch drops with no problem. But I do have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

I'm scared to launch it now with the new dyno numbers though...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slipping is definitely a skill, that is for sure. It probably took me about 80 launches before I was finally hitting 1.7 and below 60ft times. It is, however, hard on the stock clutch. But realistically, no matter what you do, launching is pretty much hard on the clutch period.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

I think the fast release method is the best. Dropping the clutch shocks the drivetrain severly. If the car has enough power then the wheels break loose and the energy is expended. If the car hooks hard you have a great chance of breaking a drivetrain component. Of course I come from WRX's which will pretty much bog if drop them
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mksevo
uuuhhh lets see, Dont listen to me but , YOU SAID THE SAME THING I SAID.
glad you can help.
You recommended dumping the clutch and I advised against dumping the clutch. That's not the same thing.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have done multiple launches on my evo8 and i use the dump method and launch it at 7000rpms and have never had one single problem and it has the oem clutch with 25,000miles
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porque
You recommended dumping the clutch and I advised against dumping the clutch. That's not the same thing.
I didnt say you had the same preference as me just you said the same thing. let me recap here is your post

Originally Posted by porque View Post
.""" To properly launch an AWD car rev it up high (at least 5k rpms) and then quickly slip the clutch.""" Essentially what you want to do is let the clutch out only a little bit slower than it would if you just dumped it.

LIKE I SAID JUST SLIP IT

""""But if you don't mind replacing clutches then go ahead and dump the clutch whenever you want to."""

LIKE I SAID JUST DROP IT .
I think everyone here know if you drop you clutch or launch hard every where you go it will destroy your clutch .

It seems you like to slip yours , that cool. on the street I do to. not an argument just reading what you are typing.

4myX
you will see there some different way to do it but if you want 1.9 or lower like 1.6 60ft times it will be a clutch dump to get the best 1/4 mile times. just dont do it every day.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I cut my teeth drag racing wrong wheel drive Hondas. I've gotten to the point where I could cut mid 1.6 second 60 foot times on my 3071 Evo VIII with the old blip-blip-slip method. The only clutch of mine that ever went was in that Evo, when I had a TME turbo. I didn't burn the material off, rather the torque the car was making on race gas was just too much for the stock pressure plate and the clutch would slip at WOT in 4th or 5th gear. When we pulled it out, it looked great for a clutch with 30k, it just wasn't up to the task.

Lots of other friends of mine have not been so lucky. I've seen fried clutches, broken trannies, etc. This car was designed to be a great handling and braking driver's car with good power. I don't think drag racing, although very fun at times, is what the designers and engineers had in mind, hence the stationary rev limit.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
It's nothing wrong with dropping the clutch as long as it's an aftermarket one. Slipping it takes skill and to be honest - not a lot of us are fast enough to slip it correctly. The higher the rpms are, the faster your foot as to be. Eventually it's almost as fast as dropping the clutch. Ever since I flashed the rev limiter on my car, I've done clutch drops with no problem. But I do have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

I'm scared to launch it now with the new dyno numbers though...
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT listen to this man's advice at all. Doing that will destroy drive train components. I had a friend in Vegas side step his clutch at the drag strip and all it took was one launch to destroy his transfer case.

Learn the quick slip method and let the clutch take the brunt of the punishment. If drag racing is your thing, learn to set aside some cash for clutches.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT listen to this man's advice at all. Doing that will destroy drive train components. I had a friend in Vegas side step his clutch at the drag strip and all it took was one launch to destroy his transfer case.

Learn the quick slip method and let the clutch take the brunt of the punishment. If drag racing is your thing, learn to set aside some cash for clutches.
There is nothing wrong with what I said dude. I just didn't communicate my thoughts well. I've been driving and launching this car for years.

I slipped the clutch just as you said, and you are correct if you launch at fairly low rpms (4k-5k). Slipping the clutch is ideal in this case since you'll need the wheels to start rolling first.

As you desire to launch in the upper rpm band, your foot is simply not fast enough to slip the clutch without burning the **** out of it!! Period!! I launch my car at 6k to get the BEST 60' foot acceleration I can, and the time window from slipping to full release is too small for my coordination. Dumping the clutch then is pretty much the only way to not burn the clutch up. Do you risk shock to the drivetrain? Yes. Could it break? Yes. Could it be ok? Yes. It all depends on the condition of your tranny and drivetrain system.

I dumped my stock clutch and all it did was smoke. The torque was too great which is the reason I said use an aftermarket clutch (not race pressure plate). You will ensure proper grip.

Now, on a sticky track? You MUST slip the clutch because (if you don't change your tire pressure or your 2-step limit) the car will bog anyway at 6k and that's not very good for the tranny.

-M

Quick Reply: evo x launching