Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dash rattling...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a few Chevy S10s over the years. My current one is a 2000 and it is probably the best of them so far, fit and finish wise. It has more rattles and squeaks than I can count. dash rattles, door rattles, even the speaker covers rattle when I turn up the stereo to cover the rattles

My previous car was a 2004 Lancer RalliArt and I guess it set the bar high for Mitsubishi in my eyes. It didn't have any rattles or squeaks, even when I traded it in it was still without unwanted noise. I expected the more expensive Lancer to be more of the same, but it has its share of noises. Now, would I have purchased something else knowing the Evo has rattles? No way. It just surprised me how little it takes to make it rattle. Large bumps and potholes I can understand, but it rattles on every little seam on the road.

Mainly what I was hoping to get from this thread was some collaboration on where others have found rattles and what they have done to fix them. I don't think the dealers are going to do anything for us, and I'm not taking mine in for it. I would like to see some solutions like (I've found a dash mounting joint behind the stereo squeaks and I was able to fix it with a washer). Something along those lines. Thanks everybody.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

high quality mitsubishi for you

i have annoying rattle behind the dash/gauge cluster
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All new cars rattle unless it's an Audi or Lexus it seems from my experience. Everyone has gone to hard dash plastics which rattle much more than vinyl. My 1993 MR2 with vinyl dash and door trim has no rattles whatsoever but new cars don't use vinyl anymore.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:01 PM

I think the glove compartment rattle is probably going to be the most common. My easy solution to that problem: drive with the glove box open. Solved!

There's one in the middle of the dash behind the radio. That one drives me nuts, no solution yet...

And then there's every other tiny little piece of plastic.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

The center dash rattle just started after I installed my springs, what a b*tch that one is! A couple of pieces of plastic going at it back there.

I just got this center console rattle too that's been driving me crazy lately, somewhere below my shifter I think. I just keep increasing the volume on my stereo...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
I just got this center console rattle too that's been driving me crazy lately, somewhere below my shifter I think. I just keep increasing the volume on my stereo...
I've been experiencing that exact rattle with the car at 2800 rpm's. It seems to have gotten worse since the temperature dropped to below freezing. It's annoying as hell I just make sure to not linger at 2800rpm's
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
All new cars rattle unless it's an Audi or Lexus it seems from my experience. Everyone has gone to hard dash plastics which rattle much more than vinyl. My 1993 MR2 with vinyl dash and door trim has no rattles whatsoever but new cars don't use vinyl anymore.
Civics are using soft plastic now.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Mine rattles from the glove compartment also, can't seem to find where its rattling from though
Old Feb 6, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 628
Civics are using soft plastic now.
A guy at work has a new civic and I am usually in it at least once a week on lunch trips. Yes it's soft but that's because it's rubbermaid quality and feels like something you would see in a Kia or Dodge. The worst civic interior in over 20 years.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:44 AM
GNR
Evolving Member

I think its for safety reasons, thats why everyone is going plastic. plastic breaks part into little pieces. Check out audi`s dash, it looks like can crush into an person.. If the gloce box is Rattling put some foam insulation that sticks, no rattle. For me, I dont like plastic dashes, just hand sewn leather or suede.. Is there a way to install leather dash instead of plastics, or its just leather on top of plastics?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

I have rattle on the front passenger door or glove compartment (somehwere around there)
also on the center dash where the foam and the windshield meets. Then a clicking sound on the driver side pillar near the setbelt adjustment.

Tune to the BPM Siruis channel....problem solved!!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:16 PM

volume up!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

how funny, I'd run into this post today.. just from like 3 days ago I've got a new rattle in my 8.. sounds like it's coming from the speedo..

Just imagining what I looked like driving and sticking my head down near the steering wheel trying to hear where that sound was coming from.. funny as hell.. and dangerous!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

my x had very little rattles at first, lol, for a while i was like niccee.. compared to my ix, then i threw some kw's on at a pretty firm setting and gave birth to all kinds of rattles, im use to it though, now worries, i work and commute very close to home.. nothing that some sweet tunes cant take care of
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

My IX had a bunch of rattles. I spent hours trying to fix them but never really could find the sources. Eventually just accepted them and got over it. Evos are pretty much maracas from what I can tell.

I recently ditched my IX for a new X. My new X already has a small rattle. I'm sure more will come out over time. Mitsu's are just not that well built. I was hoping (like many) that the added weight of the X meant it would be a bit more bullet proof but that just isn't the case. Hopefully Mitsu will either learn to improve their quality or at least drop some damn weight in the future.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who feels cheated and aggravated by the rattles because that's EXACTLY how I used to feel! You can try taking it to the dealer but they really don't do jack... and there will always be the next rattle... and the next one. Try to enjoy the car for what it is, but if you can't just trade it in for a true luxury car. That is the only escape from the cheapy plastic.

Quick Reply: Dash rattling...