Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dash rattling...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rancornthree
Yep, cars rattle. When I first got my X last month, every little thing that wasn't perfect was driving me up the wall especially the little plasticky rattle sounds. The pillar noise has been fixed by putting some foam insulation strips between the windshield and the plastic pillar cover. The instrument panel/ inside dash rattle has been found to attributed to the airbag cover behind the steering wheel. It rattles when the tilt is set low. The stereo in my SSS will drown out any nitpicky little sound anyway.

I took a drive in someone's 1 year old VW Beetle and I have nothing to complain about as far as rattles go. I've had many cars through the years and there's always something. Rattles, squeeks, noise, vibration and harshness. Try Googling "car rattles" sometime.
It drives the BMW and Merc guys up the wall.
Some interesting observations here: Even the so called high end cars have rattles and noises assoicated with plastic parts. So for those that say "Mitsu lousy workmanship" also applies to BMW and Merc cars. So clearly high vehicle cost does not necessitate better quality or lack of rattles.
Now let us also be realistic here. We all bought EVO's to drive them "with enthusiasm"; that means stressing the chassis and everything attached to it. The result is more components are going to stretched and compressed which will create rattles. How about the guys that modify their cars like MilfHunter V and mac PSU above? They added aftermarket springs which undoubtly stiffened their suspension even more than OEM so going over bumps etc. is going to send more stress to these same components. Result? MOre rattles.
I have a question here: For those of you that are willing to shell out time and $$ for modify their X's for added performance, can't you do same for a few rattles? Let's get real here. *****in about this issue is not going to fix it. Do something about and move on. My $0.02.

Later, Ken

Edit: As a positive example of how to address one of these problems see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-rattling.html

Last edited by KPerez; Apr 24, 2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

I understand there's going to be some rattles, but honestly I traded in my 09 Lancer GTS for the Evo, and didn't have ANY sounds from the inside of that car. Now the glove box AND above the instrument cluster, both rattle. The interior dash is IDENTICAL except for the different gauges...

I have to hit the glove box at least once a day. I never had to do it once in the GTS..
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

My rattle comes from the coin holder (cigarette ash tray) please make it stop!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i fixed my glovebox with some double tape 3m inside the glovebox this made it tighter.the suspension on the evo is a sport suspension so the inside will always rattle a friend of mine has a ferrari f430 and youu should here how his car rattles is crazy for the money he paid for it so if you guys dont like rattles buy a cadillac or a lexus

Last edited by jrsimon27; Apr 24, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

i get rattles in 4 different areas

# 1 - my driver side window after i got fixed through warranty a bad regulator

# 2 - the infamous dash rattle!

# 3 - either the coin//ash tray rattle or under the shifter rattle!

# 4 - the mysterous near my passenger door rattle

kind of fun sometimes trying to figure out which one is rattling first, usually
2 rattle at a time never all at once though.

this suxors
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Milf_Hunter_V
my x had very little rattles at first, lol, for a while i was like niccee.. compared to my ix, then i threw some kw's on at a pretty firm setting and gave birth to all kinds of rattles, im use to it though, now worries, i work and commute very close to home.. nothing that some sweet tunes cant take care of

bro, i wanna ride on your car and check the ride of your KW...(Off topic, sorry guys).
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
I understand there's going to be some rattles, but honestly I traded in my 09 Lancer GTS for the Evo, and didn't have ANY sounds from the inside of that car. Now the glove box AND above the instrument cluster, both rattle. The interior dash is IDENTICAL except for the different gauges...

I have to hit the glove box at least once a day. I never had to do it once in the GTS..
Same, I had no rattles with my GTS.

But keep in mind the X is more stiff.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:59 PM

^^ 628 : Did you had a 09 Lancer GTS too ?

Does 08 GTS have this problem ? And it was corrected in the 09 version ?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

got my x gsr with 11 miles on the odo and the first rattle (coming from i think where the dash connects to the windshield) came up at around 75 miles...now the car has 250 miles and the rattles sometimes turn into buzzing noises.

my IX rattled a lot too, so did my subaru. strangely the oldest car i've ever owned - a 1991 toyota mr2 turbo - had not a single rattle. it was a small car though.

rattles drive me nuts. they make me want to break ****. one of these weekends i'm going to take apart the entire front dash and zip tie every wire and foam up everything. if rattles still come out then i will break the legs of the desk that my laptop is on right now then rip the desk apart with my teeth before pouring gasoline all over it and tossing a lit cigar at it.

no, i don't smoke.

le sigh.

thought the X rode so much smoother and the engine was so much quieter = rattle free ride. i was wrong. ****.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

For all you guys with the Dash rattle...someone probably mentioned it already by try popping out the center screw cover, (right by the front windshield, there's a little cover in the middle), and pushing it back in, or putting a piece of foam under it. For rear deck rattles...the LATCH covers. LOL. Give them a good slap or two. Show that Evo who's the boss... ;-)

verkion
Old May 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

...little ticking noise from front windshield passenger side.... anyone know what is making that noise?
bother the heck out of me... and i am afraid that i am going to crack it open one day
Old May 7, 2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghoney81
...little ticking noise from front windshield passenger side.... anyone know what is making that noise?
bother the heck out of me... and i am afraid that i am going to crack it open one day
I have this EXACT same ticking noise! Except I'm thinking it's coming from inside the side vent or something..
Old May 8, 2009, 05:44 AM

Got my Evo X, it has 483kms on it now and not a single rattle.

Is it a loud rattle ? Maybe I don't hear it because in my 00 celica gts it was rattling like hell.
Old May 11, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ghoney81
holy hell i have the same rattle. my glove compartment door started rattling yesterday. joy.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:21 AM

My saab rattle and squeaked, both drivers and passengers side door panels squeaked it drove me insane... and the dash into the windshield squeaked as well

Quick Reply: Dash rattling...