Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
That's what I meant.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
This is moot because most people aren't going to rip their brand new $40k car apart like that just to shave weight...
you'd be surprised, i'm most likely going to remove everything listed above permanently except the sub which I'll take out if I go to any sort of track. Do what I mentioned above, change the exhaust and put a mini battery in the car and you just saved an EASY 150 lbs. That gets it way closer to 9 territory
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
you'd be surprised, i'm most likely going to remove everything listed above permanently except the sub which I'll take out if I go to any sort of track. Do what I mentioned above, change the exhaust and put a mini battery in the car and you just saved an EASY 150 lbs. That gets it way closer to 9 territory
I understand what you are saying, but I said *most* people.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

200 lbs wouldnt be that hard either, i just added up around 150 easily. Add some lighter wheels, thats another 20 lbs. you could still do some lighter rotors, re create some of the bracing in chromoly or aluminum. wouldnt be THAT hard

-Steve
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:53 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

you'd be surprised, i'm most likely going to remove everything listed above permanently except the sub which I'll take out if I go to any sort of track. Do what I mentioned above, change the exhaust and put a mini battery in the car and you just saved an EASY 150 lbs.
Trunk mods - 70lbs
Battery - 20lbs
Buschur exhaust - 30-35lbs. Buschur, one of the lightest non-Ti exhaust on the market, if not the lightest, claims a 37lb reduction for a TBE on a IX. The X doesn't seem to benefit from a new downpipe (as per AMS) and features weightier pipes that terminated in dual tips.

The xhaust sits at a very low center of gravity, servery diminishing its effect, and the 20lb saving up front will still make the car more nose-heavy if the trunk mods are done, as well. Where is the big benefit in handling?

This makes for ~120-125lb savings, not the 150 you just claimed, and certainly not the 200lb savings that surrounded your original claim. So, where is the 200lb savings?

That gets it way closer to 9 territory
Hmmm...a mildly lightened IX (GSR, SE) is ~3225lbs. If we subtract the 125lbs from 3550lbs (as per R&T's claimed weight; the test weight was mare than 3700lbs), we get 3425-3575lbs. That's 200-300 lbs heavier. That's hardly "way closer."

Add some lighter wheels, thats another 20 lbs. you could still do some lighter rotors, re create some of the bracing in chromoly or aluminum.
AFAIK, the stock wheels weigh ~20-22lbs. As an example, RPF1s (some of the lightest wheels available) in 18.5x8.5 are ~19lbs. The only lighter rotors save ~2.5lbs up front. This makes for an added ~17lb savings, bringing the total to ~137lbs, not the 200 you claimed. What bracing are you talking about?

wouldnt be THAT hard

I see. This is essentially a fantasy-driven exercise. Please let the forum know when you actually shed 200lbs.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Trunk mods - 70lbs
Battery - 20lbs
Buschur exhaust - 30-35lbs. Buschur, one of the lightest non-Ti exhaust on the market, if not the lightest, claims a 37lb reduction for a TBE on a IX. The X doesn't seem to benefit for a new downpipe (as per AMS) and features weightier pipes that terminated in dual tips.
the downpipe is not where you save, its eliminating the stock muffler, a single exhaust will save around 50 lbs, not 30.

Originally Posted by FJF
This makes for ~120lb savings, not the 150 you just claimed, and certainly not the 200lb savings that surrounded your original claim. So, where is the 200lb savings?
70-trunk stuff
50-exhaust
20-battery (as per AMS)
40 lbs or more-wheels (as noted below)

Originally Posted by FJF
Hmmm...a mildly lightened IX (GSR, SE) is ~3225lbs. If we subtract the 125lbs from 3550lbs (as per R&T's claimed weight; the test weight was mare than 3700lbs), we get 3425-3575lbs. That's 200-300 lbs heavier. That's hardly "way closer."
i didnt say a lightened 9, i just said 9, meaning STOCK 9. The car is about 3550. Mine was 3612 because I had a Laptop/charger/bag in the car along with other odds and ends and a little over 1/2 a tank of gas which is about 40 lbs. My stock 05 SSL evo was right around 3300 lbs. Maybe SE's are lighter due to no sunroof and an alum roof, but this car CAN reach those weights pretty easily

Originally Posted by FJF
AFAIK, the stock wheels weigh ~20-22lbs. As an example, RPF1s (some of the lightest wheels available) in 18.5x8.5 are ~19lbs. The only lighter rotors save ~2.5lbs up front. This makes for an added ~17lb savings, bringing the total to ~137lbs, not the 200 you claimed. What bracing are you talking about?
the stock wheels are def not 20 lbs dude, buy a X and check the wheels, they are 18x8.5 enkei's and they feel about 30 lbs each, minimum.

Originally Posted by FJF
I see. This is essentially a fantasy-driven exercise. Please let the forum know when you actually shed 200lbs.
I come up with about 180 and i'm SURE I can squeeze another 20 lbs here and there. I mean a lightweight flywheel alone will save probably 10 lbs and the suspension i just installed was probably 1-2 lbs lighter at each corner. I could also make a chromoly tubular front cross member (rad support to X brace) that I'm sure would save 8-10 lbs. Theres also a huge STEEL piece I plan on remaking in the rear of the car out of aluminum. That would save an easy 5 lbs. You want me to keep going? How about the rear subframe thats bolted to the car that the rear mounts to? That could be made out of chromoly tubing and save probably 30 lbs, we could put lighter rotors on the car and save around 2 lbs per corner. Lets remake the downpipe out of SS just to save weight even if it doesnt help power. That will save at least 5 lbs.

so basically you want to see my 3612 Evo get down to 3400??? No problem I'll make it happen for ya
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The xhaust sits at a very low center of gravity, servery diminishing its effect, and the 20lb saving up front will still make the car more nose-heavy if the trunk mods are done, as well. Where is the big benefit in handling?
Who said this was just about handling? A lighter car in general regardless of where it comes from is going to get anywhere its going faster but I never said doing this is going to do some hocus pocus for handling.

And no your wrong again about it being nose heavy as ALL the added weight in the X is in the rear. When you corner weight the car, you can see the front is extremely close to an evo 8-9. The rear is where the extra weight is. removing weight in the rear just gets it closer to the same distribution of an evo 9

Last edited by StevenStarke; Feb 27, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:03 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

the downpipe is not where you save, its eliminating the stock muffler, a single exhaust will save around 50 lbs, not 30.
As the TBE for a IX saves ~37lbs, by what stroke of mathematical logic would a catback (with the same bullet muffler), more piping, and no downpipe actually weigh less? I'm sorry; this is utterly ridiculous.

70-trunk stuff
50-exhaust
20-battery (as per AMS)
40 lbs or more-wheels (as noted below)

i didnt say a lightened 9, i just said 9, meaning STOCK 9.
So, you're comparing a lightened X to a non-lightened IX? How about not comparing apples and oranges. However, I'm a sporting man, so let's add 35-45lbs to the IX.

The car is about 3550.
Yes, I've already said that.

Mine was 3612 because I had a Laptop/charger/bag in the car along with other odds and ends and a little over 1/2 a tank of gas which is about 40 lbs. My stock 05 SSL evo was right around 3300 lbs. Maybe SE's are lighter due to no sunroof and an alum roof, but this car CAN reach those weights pretty easily.
"Maybe" the SE's are lighter, coming from someone who bought the heaviest possible CT9A? With this in mind, I must question your familiarly with this subject matter. No disrespect meant; I'm just being honest in light of a series of claims that make little sense.

the stock wheels are def not 20 lbs dude, buy a X and check the wheels, they are 18x8.5 enkei's and they feel about 30 lbs each, minimum.
My info comes from someone who said to have weighed the wheels. As you're relying on some subjective measure that makes a butt dyno look accurate, please forgive me for not taking this claim on its face value. BTW, how can you separate the weight of the wheel from the weight of the tire. It's a neat trick.

If you decide to weigh the wheels and substantiate your claim, I'll gladly apologize.

I come up with about 180 and i'm SURE I can squeeze another 20 lbs here and there. I mean a lightweight flywheel alone will save probably 10 lbs and the suspension i just installed was probably 1-2 lbs lighter at each corner. I could also make a chromoly tubular front cross member (rad support to X brace) that I'm sure would save 8-10 lbs. Theres also a huge STEEL piece I plan on remaking in the rear of the car out of aluminum. That would save an easy 5 lbs. You want me to keep going?
Given the anomalies in your claims, I can only hope for a dose of reality.

How about the rear subframe thats bolted to the car that the rear mounts to? That could be made out of chromoly tubing and save probably 30 lbs, we could put lighter rotors on the car and save around 2 lbs per corner. Lets remake the downpipe out of SS just to save weight even if it doesnt help power. That will save at least 5 lbs.
As per the set course, you're guestimating, reaching, and implicitly asserting that the fantasy parts that don't actually exist will be as good as factory and weigh less, which is one hell of an optimistic assumption. As I said before, please post when you have some concrete data to share instead of wishful thinking.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Who said this was just about handling? A lighter car in general regardless of where it comes from is going to get anywhere its going faster but I never said doing this is going to do some hocus pocus for handling.
As a car does 3 things: it accelerates, it decelerates, and it corners, I erroniously assumed that you wanted to maximize the aggregate function of the automobile. In terms of getting everywhere faster, I assume you're referring to going straight, as the cornering has to be compromised by the nature of the beast on a stock car.

And no your wrong again about it being nose heavy as ALL the added weight in the X is in the rear.
What? The car has ~60/40 weight distribution. By removing weight from the rear, you can't help and screw the numbers toward the front

When you corner weight the car, you can see the front is extremely close to an evo 8-9. The rear is where the extra weight is. most of the weight I'm talking about is removed the rear, making the car more equal in weight distribution.
This is mathematically impossible, given the front/rear weight ratio.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:31 PM

Is it really necessary to attack people because you don't agree with their estimates?

This thread is supposed to be about the 70 lbs saved and how it was done, instead it's been taken down to a pseudo-X bashing and completely derailed from the discussion of the OP.

Steve, thank you for taking the time to weigh the stuff and document your process. Keep updating us as your project continues.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, I am getting tired of people attacking every informative thread that anyone posts in the X area. I swear we should lock this down and keep your flame starting trolls out out of here so we can get back to learning and seeing what people are doing with the X.

Thanks for the corner weight info Steve.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by articfury
Is it really necessary to attack people because you don't agree with their estimates?
I'm not about to apologize for asking for accurate information, especially when the stated claims make little sense.

This thread is supposed to be about the 70 lbs saved and how it was done....
Given the comprehensive nature of Steve's first post, where is the confusion as to the 70lb savings?

...instead it's been taken down to a pseudo-X bashing and completely derailed from the discussion of the OP.
What X bashing? Does the car not weigh a lot more than the outgoing model? I was not the one who claimed to lose 200lbs, but I did ask how it was done. Given the somewhat evasive nature of the replies, and the wishful thinking contained within, it's brutally obvious that a 200lb savings isn't necessarily something to bank on. Call me crazy, but I like to think that some folks here appreciate a dose of reality.

Steve, thank you for taking the time to weigh the stuff and document your process. Keep updating us as your project continues.

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Really, I am getting tired of people attacking every informative thread that anyone posts in the X area. I swear we should lock this down and keep your flame starting trolls out out of here so we can get back to learning and seeing what people are doing with the X.
Sure, let's take all claims at their face value, and not ask any questions that hope to clarify mathematical/logical impossibilities. That's the way to a greater degree of understanding, right?

Last edited by FJF; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admin Alumni

Keep it civil in here please.....disagreement is OK, bashing/flaming is not. kthksbai.

J.D.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
3600 lbs + huh that is heavy. it is almost 400 lbs heavier then the IX. /3263lbs/
i really interested about ,how much you guys can shave of without major modifications.
i'm looking forward for this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:42 AM

Go on a diet? Might be able to save some weight there. I guess this is where small skinny men really have an advantage.

Quick Reply: How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....