Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I would love to see that much weight come out of the front and not the rear.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I would love to see that much weight come out of the front and not the rear.
+1

I wonder if AYC relies on the weight distribution so it can "throw" out the rear end in corners... And if so, will the result of lightening the rear be that the X will understeer much more than intended?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kdogg71
+1

I wonder if AYC relies on the weight distribution so it can "throw" out the rear end in corners... And if so, will the result of lightening the rear be that the X will understeer much more than intended?
Well... it is active yaw control... and super at that. So it may be able to adapt to the weight reduction of the rear given that it is a so called active system. Also, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to understeer... more like oversteer in a corner. So, reducing weight from the rear would make things more neutral if indeed the car isn't as "active" or adaptive as we would hope.

It remains to be seen. I'm subscribed.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Man its like an attack of wolves in here. Little ankle bitters. Man, hasnt this been gone over like 900000000000 times. YES THE X IS HEAVIER. And no matter what you do, it will most likely be heavier then any prevous evo. We all understand that. I think what the purpose of this thread was to show that there are items on the car that can be replaced to save some weight, will it be as light as an IX with the same lightweight mods, no, but it will be lighter and more reasonable at that. The real race guys...this really wont matter, because they will be gutting their car no matter what, and putting expensive lightweight parts on it to begin with, and replacing parts on the car, that most people wont due to lack of driveability on the streets.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Was the original post (corner weighting) conducted with the driver in the car? My understanding of corner weighting requires the driver of the car to be seated in the car. If so, does the weight listed on the scales include the drivers weight?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Asta4125
Man its like an attack of wolves in here. Little ankle bitters. Man, hasnt this been gone over like 900000000000 times. YES THE X IS HEAVIER. And no matter what you do, it will most likely be heavier then any prevous evo. We all understand that. I think what the purpose of this thread was to show that there are items on the car that can be replaced to save some weight, will it be as light as an IX with the same lightweight mods, no, but it will be lighter and more reasonable at that. The real race guys...this really wont matter, because they will be gutting their car no matter what, and putting expensive lightweight parts on it to begin with, and replacing parts on the car, that most people wont due to lack of driveability on the streets.
Hey, that guy is just that way. I have had arguments with him in the past... he likes to instigate arguments if you haven't noticed. He's a smart guy though, but it's hard to like a guy that likes to be that way.

I and most all of us agree that the OP was just trying to let us know that he shaved an easy 70 lbs. Then he got dragged into an argument that he didn't intend to have happen. We noticed the OP's good intentions.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Now you just need to get some weight off the front end.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixxer
Go on a diet? Might be able to save some weight there. I guess this is where small skinny men really have an advantage.
Really?

The driver sits toward the middle of the car with a relatively low center of gravity. Essentially, this weight savings makes for a drop in the bucket. Work on rotational mass for a noticeable difference. Hint: the driver losing weight is not applicable to the concept and its application.

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Also, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to understeer... more like oversteer in a corner. So, reducing weight from the rear would make things more neutral if indeed the car isn't as "active" or adaptive as we would hope.

Reducing weight in the rear will shift the weight balance even farther to the front, ACD of not, which BTW works on rear wheels. This is a textbook way of promoting understeer. Physics, you know.

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Hey, that guy is just that way. I have had arguments with him in the past... he likes to instigate arguments if you haven't noticed. He's a smart guy though, but it's hard to like a guy that likes to be that way.
<grin> This will keep me up at night.

At the risk of upsetting the mods, let me paraphrase what's on record. We met in a thread when you displayed yourself as a homophobe whose fearful views went against the very concept of a civilization. You'll have you excuse my contempt.

I and most all of us agree that the OP was just trying to let us know that he shaved an easy 70 lbs. Then he got dragged into an argument that he didn't intend to have happen. We noticed the OP's good intentions.
Agreed. I appreciated the effort. OTOH, I had issues with the BS.

Originally Posted by Asta4125
Man its like an attack of wolves in here. Little ankle bitters.
It's a fascinating spin on trying to get to the truth. he so-called argument served a purposes: it debunked the (automotive) benefits of removing weight from the rear in a front-heavy car and it also pointed to the OP's credibility, or its lack thereof.

Man, hasnt this been gone over like 900000000000 times.
Certainly not the scope of weight reduction.

YES THE X IS HEAVIER. And no matter what you do, it will most likely be heavier then any prevous evo.
That was never in question.

We all understand that. I think what the purpose of this thread was to show that there are items on the car that can be replaced to save some weight...
Sure, one can save weight in the rear. Where is the overall benefit?

...will it be as light as an IX with the same lightweight mods, no, but it will be lighter and more reasonable at that[.
Fair enough.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

i hope you guys know, I dont hate the IX at all. I had one and I loved it and still love it. I know the owner of it now and I love to see the car when he brings it by. If I had the $$$ I'd totally buy another 9 to also play around with.

Like some have said, I just wanted to show that weight CAN easily be removed from the X. Even if its only 70 lbs, thats more weight that you can take out of a 9 trunk. And I noted some other parts on the car here and there that can drop in weight. I'm not saying the X can be as light as a IX, but I'm saying it can get closer then it is. Thats all. I hope some here see the information as useful. its not for EVERYONE, but for some, thats all
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ksuchewie
IX owners are just trying to nit pick every little detail of the X to make themselves feel better about owning a IX. IX is better...X is better.... who gives a crap about details, they're different cars. Drive them both, enjoy them both. Stop bickering like 5 year olds.

It's turning into Glocktalk here...
Not all of us IX owners are like that. Some of the bitter ones need to stay out of the X threads. I have been following the X threads trying to learn as much as I can about them. Some of us are just jealous our IXs didn't come with AYC.

IMO most of the angry VIII-IX owners are the ones that prefer drag racing over AutoX/road racing. They're fixated on weight and bone stock 1/4 mile times. Apparently .99g on the skidpad doesn't mean anything to them.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

You can shave another 50lbs with some bride's.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

The X still has AYC, bigger wheels and brakes, 7 airbags instead of 2, more chassis, more body, more sound deadening material, better bracing for accidents.

C'mon people, that cant be attributed to 250-300 lbs?

-Steve
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:39 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of whether you like the X or the IX or a Ford Pinto...

Saving weight in the rear is detrimental to the handling of a front-biased car. That was one discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

Also, claims were made about how much weight they can save, yet they haven't proven anything about the losses. That's another discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

Saving weight off the front of the car is more important. And, yet another discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

So what if someone compares the X to the IX? It's a logical progression to compare the two cars. Don't worry so much if someone makes a comparison...because it's going to happen until the end of time whether we like the comparisons or not.

Now, back to the three topics that are worth discussing when it comes to saving weight.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Regardless of whether you like the X or the IX or a Ford Pinto...

Saving weight in the rear is detrimental to the handling of a front-biased car. That was one discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

Also, claims were made about how much weight they can save, yet they haven't proven anything about the losses. That's another discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

Saving weight off the front of the car is more important. And, yet another discussion that doesn't matter which car you prefer.

So what if someone compares the X to the IX? It's a logical progression to compare the two cars. Don't worry so much if someone makes a comparison...because it's going to happen until the end of time whether we like the comparisons or not.

Now, back to the three topics that are worth discussing when it comes to saving weight.
in my original post, I stated 70 lbs could be removed in 7 minutes. That was proven. I said some more weight can be removed as well, I'll prove that soon
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X is heavier, and pulls better skid pad numbers. So I am sure that the additional weight isnt hurting this car as much as you guys would like to think. Not to mention the overall handling is a lot better, and doesn't have massive under steer issues. Please find some other dead horse to beat on that doesn't have a worthless outcome, kthx.

Steve,
You guys looking at removing the bumpers etc? I know that the seats are a heck of a lot heavier then the stock VIII / IX seats were. Just by replacing those things I swear you could save another 100#. If you do this though, what do you do about the airbag / weight sensor? I am also curious as to whether or not the AWC system is adaptable to the different weights. My limited understanding of how this system operates seems to make me believe it wont be an issue, with the exception of how much power the car shifts to the rear tires during the ACD use.

Last edited by PDXEvo; Feb 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....