Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter

IMO most of the angry VIII-IX owners are the ones that prefer drag racing over AutoX/road racing. They're fixated on weight and bone stock 1/4 mile times. Apparently .99g on the skidpad doesn't mean anything to them.
As an AutoXer that competes on the national scale, I'm 100% hung up, fixated, whatever you want to call it on that weight. I'd argue that extra weight is going to hurt more in AutoX then drag racing, because you have to overcome it in every direction, not just forward. 18 year old STS Civics aren't giving me a run for my money because they have active yaw or gobs of horse power. It's all because of their weight.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the VIII and IX have understeer issues, just like any other AWD car (in stock form) And every review has touched on this topic in one form or another. This is really old news though, kthx.

I will be driving the X around the track this weekend for about 3 hours, so Ill have a better idea of how much the weight impacts the car there, or if the new handling systems make up for the weight deficit. Our Auto-X stuff doesn't start up until April, but I know when I removed a little over 100 pounds out of my VIII, it didnt equate to quicker times on the shorter Auto-X course, but it did net me about 2/5 of a second for the 1.98 mile PIR track. Unfortunately, the track is brand new this year, so I wont have a fair comparison, but I fortunately know several other Evo VIII drivers that will be out there for the comparison
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
" massive understeer issues".... where these guys came from? the VIII and IX have a MASSIVE understeer???
oh boy...

this is just as bad ,like the X sucks...
Yes, the VIII and IX do suffer from understeer. Massive... not exactly. But it is bad. I deal with it every auto-x.

Good work on the easy weight reduction.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
understeer and massive understeer is different you know.

will be interesting the X on autox. since they run a same time with the X on slalom. I will like to read your feedback on that.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

If you want to save weight by removing SSS package items, don't buy the SSS package in the first place.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I just spent 6 minutes to sculpt some sweet 6 pack abs.

Steve, how did you come to the conclusion that it took 7 min to strip out that weight... did you clock yourself? Catchy number it is.
it was about 5 minutes to be honest, but i figure 7 for 70 sounds good. i'm surprised no one asked for proof it only takes 7 mins. This is an easy fix for someone looking to track the car one day and wants to remove a few lbs quickly

-Steve
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I'll concede to that, I should have instead focused on the reduction in understeer with the X. Does that sound better? I wasn't stating this as a dig towards my favorite car. If I didn't like the VIII, I wouldn't be looking for a used one right now to build into a rally car.

Auto-X is definitely a place where the slalom is used heavily, so it will be interesting to see if weight reduction helps this adjustment, or if there is a driving strategy for it. You should be able to come out of the turns quicker now on the X.

Steve, what is your end goal with the weight reduction? Are you hoping to resolve a problem, or just make 1/4 times faster, or something else entirely?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that impact gun part of the SSS package or a dealer option?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, actually, it comes with an under carriage air compressor for tire inflation. Its part of the SSS package, hence the hiss noise when you pronounce it
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Why do VIII/IX owners still debate on the X being a much better handling car? Read the reviews of chronohunter (driver of the fastest evo time attack car in the country) and robi (suspension engineer). If there largely positive reviews don't make you a believer I don't know what will. The tire arguement is stupid, its a better handling car and its not all because of the 10mm wider tires like everyone makes it out to be.

As for the AYC lagginess in slalom and autox type situations, robi noted that the AYC has a much easier time once he put his entire suspension package on the thing. Fact of the matter is its AT LEAST as good as a IX in slalom with an extra 300lbs. I think that says a lot.

Last edited by Guerillah; Feb 27, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

3700with driver?? jeeze u might aswell go buy an 03-04 cobra
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Nice job on the quick-n-easy weight reduction! the four corner scale set would be a great tool to guide your next area; the front weight.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:43 PM
Account Disabled

I was just debating stripping the trunk of my VIII. Not much back there to begin with though.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Wow glad I waisted my time reading through all 6 pages of this..... 1 to 2 pages of info and 4 pages of nonsense lol

Thanks Steve for the info provided anyways.....
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

how about a pic of the trunk after everything is out, just curious...

Quick Reply: How to shave 70 lbs in 7 minutes on an SSS EVO X... Pics inside....