Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My impression about the S-AWC.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
My impression about the S-AWC.

I drove the X yesterday on snow and tarmac mix . The car has no modification at all, besides the snow tires./blizzak/ I find the X is more "car" with the ASC off.
Some situation when the car was at her limits the asc 'took over" and even when i floored it, the rpm wouldn't raise at all. I guess that is why one reason, why the X driven by wire. With the ASC system on, i think once you messed it up ,you done. I think you got little more option without the ASC, if you missed it. Only because the ASC+ S-AYC will keep you in line... And if that line goes off from the road and you are not experienced , that line will NOT change, unless you are braking. Wich can be even worst in many situations.
Otherwise the system feel just like the VI i have been driven, BUT much more refined and calm. There is some things about being calm too. The steering feel defenietly numb compere to the IX or down to VI. The VI and up 'till IX you have much more feel and connection between you and the road surface. Specially when you suddenly change the surface where you are running. Also you feel the car weight, period. I think those who saying you dont feel it, they start driving the car with the " im driving a heavy car " in mind. And that is why seems not heavy. I think... But if you drive start driving like "oh yeah just like the IX", you will feel the weight. But these are all feels ,so personal things.. i felt it heavy for sure though.
If you a good driver, you will find yourself to turn the ASC off all the time when you are racing, for sure. It is a good safety thing when you do your DD. and you got some sudden unexpected situation and you are still sleepy..
I still highly doubt the X will "smoke " the IX on track. it will be mighty close winnig, but not a smoke at all. Also because this new system and safety features in it, an avarage driver will run faster with the X compere to the IX and defenietly the VIII.

The ride is still bumpy though. I would say its a same as a IX MR.
But, the car out from factory, doesn't feels and drives, as a street legal race car, period.
That feeling looks like is gone with the IX. You will miss that? Some for sure, the new one's, who are just came to the Evo world , NO. And i think that is the most important thing.
But if they will jump into the older versions, they will have a big smile on they face for sure too.

I will do little more detailed review after track days with the X and against the X. If somebody interested, thanks for reading my review, i know its hard..

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 2, 2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, when I drive my 3100 pound 911 back-to-back with the Evo, I find the Evo feels far more nimble and light despite the additional 400 pounds.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Funny, when I drive my 3100 pound 911 back-to-back with the Evo, I find the Evo feels far more nimble and light despite the additional 400 pounds.
you will get that feeling even more on snow..
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

yea, when I drove the X it felt much lighter than it is... And it stuck to the road like glue.... I have no bias, I would buy an evo 8 rs or an evo X MR and everything in between.... I like the new frontier of the evo X .... Thanks for the drivers 1st account... Good review
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ASC defintiely needs to be turned off to do any track driving. I tried driving with it on, to see what it was like, but it really pulls back on the throttle. The good news is you can just hit the button, and the fuel cut procedure go away. The braking system for the ASC stays on in this mode, and it didnt seem intrusive to me at all. I need to spend some more time with that system though to get the over all feel with it on and off.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:34 PM

awesome driving review. yes, the weight def is noticeable. while the X gives excellent feedback for car that weighs as much as it does, I think maybe the weight and forgiving s-awd also takes some of that away. interesting how almost everyone who has driven the x on track agrees that ASC should be turned off.

I am also trying to do as many track days as possible so that I can learn to enjoy this car better. it def requires a good deal of seat time to explore the X's limits, but it is increasingly becoming more enjoyable as I drive it more and more. I learnt a lot from a track day I went to this weekend, and cannot wait to do some autoX as well.

Last edited by ronmcdon; Mar 2, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the mini-review Rob!

Let us know if you get more seat time with it.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Thanks for the mini-review Rob!

Let us know if you get more seat time with it.
thanks guys! i will do more when we will go on track. Stevo is the hero who let me drive hes car in bad weather too... he got some ***** too!

As a dd. the evo X crushes the previus evos. No doubt on that. But i dont see yet why the ASC neccesery . Since when you turn it off the S-AYC works just fine. i never drove car with the S-AYC just with the AYC. This new system is awsome though. /S-AYC/

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 2, 2008 at 01:18 PM.