Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STi Owner drives and likes "X"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up STi Owner drives and likes "X"...also a few questions.

Hi, I'm NeoTrunks. I am new member here but I have been lurking for years. I am also a member of IWSTI and have owned 3 Subaru's: 03' White WRX, and my current 04' WRB WRX and 05' White/Gold STi with Cobb Stage 2 setup.

I am thinking about getting a new ride in the next few months and have only seen the new STi but not driven it. I did drive a sliver X today at Don Herring Mitsu and the sale rep was a cool guy named Jason Bell.

First off I love all cars...and I really love my Suby's. I have had great results with them and the STi has mad troque....but I have always liked Evo's. I was impressed with the new X's at TAS 08 here on EvoM and went to drive one. First off I like the way they look. I also like the STi but that's another story. I was impressed that Jason was cool and seems to know about the car, and that the dealer has a demo car I could drive and did not do the "credit check" deal some dealers do.

I did note that the car seems to be in bad need of an intake/TBE cause it felt like something was holding back power somehow. Also, the shifter in not as good as my STi, but I think some bushing should fix that. I also felt it "grind" shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd but that stopped after the car got warm and Jason stated that was normal. Other wise i really like the car and see lots of potential.

So, here is what I would like to know. Has anyone in DFW dealt with them? I have a good relationship with Subaru of Dallas and Plano. They do the work on my cars and I know they do good work. Jason told me that they will later have "UpGrades" for the X from Force Performance like the 8's and 9's. If that is the deal then maybe I will deal with them. I am very happy with Cobb's stuff. Anyone used them for their EVO's? Any good Tuners here in DFW?

Also, has anyone been through a hail storm in the EVO? I am wondering how the car's panels and paint (Hood, roof,etc) hold up or if they are easily damaged. My STi is a toy only but my DD WRX has held up to bad weather and the Texas Sun....but no hail yet, but only the hood is Aluminum. I am thinking of selling both Suby's and only having one car so I will have to go through bad weather.

Also, coming from Subaru I have been happy with some really reliable cars. How have you guys (especially the former Suby owners) noted this about their EVOs? I noted that the dash seems more low-grade then the Suby's...I hope its won't open with the Texas heat.

It's nice to finally be a formal member here and I hope in the near future to have an EVO X of my own.

Last edited by NeoTrunks; Mar 8, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the fourms. good to see a wrx/sti guy having an interest in the evo. goodluck at deciding what to do. ask a way if you need to, i'm sure people here will help if ya need it.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to EvoM. Get an Evo, you won't be disappointed. The forums are really helpful and the development work in the community goes on really fast, both hardware and software. Heck, the car is so mod friendly, I wouldn't look to any other car!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:44 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
most honda and scooby guys are liking the evo X, good for them!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:57 AM
Former Sponsor

the mission is not complete until every Subaru owner is converted
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks, I am getting close to buying one, but I am still wondering about how well the body panels and roof hold up to damage like hail. I would hate to see a sky high repair bill for a few dents only because some of the panels are aluminum.

Either way I am leaning that way....
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:38 AM

I can't say anything for TX...but my IX MR had the aluminum roof, and it withstood a few Colorado hailstorms with no damage. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NeoTrunks
Hi, I'm NeoTrunks. I am new member here but I have been lurking for years. I am also a member of IWSTI and have owned 3 Subaru's: 03' White WRX, and my current 04' WRB WRX and 05' White/Gold STi with Cobb Stage 2 setup.

I am thinking about getting a new ride in the next few months and have only seen the new STi but not driven it. I did drive a sliver X today at Don Herring Mitsu and the sale rep was a cool guy named Jason Bell.

First off I love all cars...and I really love my Suby's. I have had great results with them and the STi has mad troque....but I have always liked Evo's. I was impressed with the new X's at TAS 08 here on EvoM and went to drive one. First off I like the way they look. I also like the STi but that's another story. I was impressed that Jason was cool and seems to know about the car, and that the dealer has a demo car I could drive and did not do the "credit check" deal some dealers do.

I did note that the car seems to be in bad need of an intake/TBE cause it felt like something was holding back power somehow. Also, the shifter in not as good as my STi, but I think some bushing should fix that. I also felt it "grind" shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd but that stopped after the car got warm and Jason stated that was normal. Other wise i really like the car and see lots of potential.

So, here is what I would like to know. Has anyone in DFW dealt with them? I have a good relationship with Subaru of Dallas and Plano. They do the work on my cars and I know they do good work. Jason told me that they will later have "UpGrades" for the X from Force Performance like the 8's and 9's. If that is the deal then maybe I will deal with them. I am very happy with Cobb's stuff. Anyone used them for their EVO's? Any good Tuners here in DFW?

Also, has anyone been through a hail storm in the EVO? I am wondering how the car's panels and paint (Hood, roof,etc) hold up or if they are easily damaged. My STi is a toy only but my DD WRX has held up to bad weather and the Texas Sun....but no hail yet, but only the hood is Aluminum. I am thinking of selling both Suby's and only having one car so I will have to go through bad weather.

Also, coming from Subaru I have been happy with some really reliable cars. How have you guys (especially the former Suby owners) noted this about their EVOs? I noted that the dash seems more low-grade then the Suby's...I hope its won't open with the Texas heat.

It's nice to finally be a formal member here and I hope in the near future to have an EVO X of my own.
Trade in the STi! You wont regret it! I just traded in my 06 STi yesterday for a graphite grey evo X GSR and couldnt be happier. The entire experience of driving this car is just more exciting and pleasurable than the STI. The handling is top notch. I didn't realize the amount of effort it took to drive my STi around town. I always felt the STi had a mind of it's own, and would behave how it wanted. The evo is a different story all together. It's almost as if the evo is hardwired into your brain, and knows what you want to do. I'm in the break in period, and I find this car a blast to drive around town. I really feel this car is just so much more upscale than my STi. The subaru was great but the power deliever was somewhat peaky (fast as hell, but not that smooth). However, the evo's power delivery is so smooth and linear. I had an RX8 before my STi and I would say my evo x is like a blend of my previous two cars. The evo addresses characteristics from the rx8 such as: upscale materials, phenomenal handling, and a fantastic suspension, yet has ***** and performance of the STi. You can't be disappointed if you buy the evo. I loved my STi more than anything, but the evo stole my heart.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:25 PM

Good stuff so far...I hope the panels in general hold up well to hail and what not, but in the off chance it does not and I do need repairs....anyone here actually need to fix the dents on the Aluminum panels? How much did it cost and where did you go?

I'm getting close to jumping the fence to the camp...just a few concerns to deal with